TL-SG108 V2 random disconnects on PC

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-19 03:53:29
Model : TL-SG108E

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.0.2 Build 20160526 Rel.34615

ISP :

Hardware version: V2

My previous thread has been deleted for some reason, why?

Anyways,

The switch disconnects from the internet after an hour or something. I loose access to the internet for a few minutes, this happens in browsers, applications, games (just across Windows).
I've added another Windows Pc and it also has the same issue.
There is a PS4 and Raspberry Pi connected but they work fine without any issue.
This is happening since the initial purchase a few months back ago.
I've performed a reset and a firmware upgrade but nothing works.

Merged

This is really frustrating.
On my TL-SG108 V2 I get random disconnects on my PC. Recently I added another pc to the switch and that pc also disconnects randomly.
What is connected:
Port 1: Windows PC (affected)
Port 2: PS4 (works fine)
Port 3: Raspberyy Pi (works fine)
Port 4: Windows PC (affected)

So I browse the internet, game a bit or do internet stuff and in browsers I get the error that there's no internet connection and I have to wait a few minutes to get it back. (in games I just lag and my ping is 999 and it comes back after a few minutes)
As you can imagine this is really frustrating, I've already performed a firmware upgrade and a reset. Weird thing is that my PS4 and the Pi aren't affected at all.
If anyone could help it would be appreciated.
Options
8 Reply
Re:TL-SG108 V2 random disconnects on PC
2017-02-20 02:41:11

nigerian wrote

My previous thread has been deleted for some reason, why?

First post always appears only after a moderator did approve it. There is indeed a double post now.

What is connected:
Port 1: Windows PC (affected)
Port 2: PS4 (works fine)
Port 3: Raspberyy Pi (works fine)
Port 4: Windows PC (affected)

What makes you sure that the switch causes the outages?

Did you check wether your Windows PCs lose Internet too, if connected on ports 2 and 3 of the switch?

Do the Raspberry Pi and PS4 still not lose Internet even if connected to ports 1 and 4 of the switch?
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-02-20 03:01:09

R1D2 wrote

First post always appears only after a moderator did approve it. There is indeed a double post now.

Did you check wether your Windows PCs lose Internet too, if connected on ports 2 and 3 of the switch?

Do the Raspberry Pi and PS4 still not lose Internet even if connected to ports 1 and 4 of the switch?

Yeah the message went away really fast and I thought it was removed, I reported the other post.

Well when it was directly connected to the pc, I never had any issues. I've tried with multiple ports to be sure and I still get these disconnects.
And yes I tried it with my Pi and PS4 on the other ports so yeah :O
Options
2017-02-20 03:15:25

nigerian wrote

Yeah the message went away really fast and I thought it was removed, I reported the other post.

No problem. You could just delete it, but never mind.

I've tried with multiple ports to be sure and I still get these disconnects.
And yes I tried it with my Pi and PS4 on the other ports so yeah :O

If net access keeps going down while connecting the PC to ports which formerly were stable with the Pi/PS4 and if the Pi/PS4 have continuous net access on ports formerly making problems with the PCs, it's definitely not a malfunction of the TL-SG108 switch, but a problem located elsewhere.

Try to set a static (fixed) IP on your PC, make sure it's an unused IP, i.e. outside of the DHCP range of your router/DHCP server.

If the effect of losing net access disappears with a static IP, it is a DHCP problem (maybe two DHCP server running simultaneously?).
If not, I have no idea what causes Windows to drop net access from time to time.
Options
2017-03-01 04:28:19

R1D2 wrote

shortened

My pc's IP is still the same one as a year ago when I built it, but to be sure I set up a static IP and changed the DNS to google DNS using portforwardutilities since for some reason when I did it manually in Windows it doesn't work.

These are my router settings (translated)
Block fragmented IP's: disabled
Firewall protection: enabled
UPnP: active
DMZ address: 192.168.0.223 (local IP of the pc I'm using)
These are my IP settings in the Smart Utility:

Lately I haven't noticed a disconnection on this pc but my brother notices it all the time on his pc.

edit: see attachments for a screenshot, since imgur is affected by an outage from Amazon servers
File:
firefox_2017-02-28_21-06-13.pngDownload
javaw_2017-02-28_21-16-10.pngDownload
Options
2017-03-01 20:34:10
Why did you put the PC in a DMZ? What purpose serves the firewall on your PC? Why do you use two different static IPs on your PC? Looks like a very weird setup to me. But definitely ping delays are caused by this firewall running on your PC.
Options
2017-03-01 20:50:58

R1D2 wrote

Why did you put the PC in a DMZ? What purpose serves the firewall on your PC? Why do you use two different static IPs on your PC? Looks like a very weird setup to me. But definitely ping delays are caused by this firewall running on your PC.

I used to run a server on my pc and the router page says:
"Give here the LAN IP from the pc that needs to be connected with the internet immediatly." and I just put my PC there since I can't leave it blank.
The firewall from my router you mean? It blocks unwanted traffic and I've never disabled it. Do you recommend to disable it since idk couldn't it be a security risk? (i might block ddos attacks too). I don't have two static IP's, that other IP is the IP of my PS4 (portforwarded those ports since otherwise NAT type on PS4 isn't open)
Options
2017-03-01 23:02:36

nigerian wrote

"Give here the LAN IP from the pc that needs to be connected with the internet immediatly." and I just put my PC there since I can't leave it blank.

So you configured it in the DMZ. Depending on how the router handles a DMZ zone, this could be the cause for your troubles.

The firewall from my router you mean? It blocks unwanted traffic and I've never disabled it. Do you recommend to disable it since idk couldn't it be a security risk? (i might block ddos attacks too).

Never ever disable the firewall of your upstream router. It is there to protect your LAN from accesses through the Internet. But port forwardings to PCs in LAN belong to the upstream router, not to the PC itself. Depending on how your router works, a DMZ zone is usually exposing the hosts in the DMZ to the Internet, so you would have to disable every service not to be exposed to the Internet on such hosts.

Of course you could try to disable or block such services on each PC's firewall, but IMHO this is a medium nightmare.

Personal firewalls are not very reliable, since they run on the same system they should protect it at first. Therefore, firewalls belong to routers or even to stand-alone hardware used for just firewalling, but you should not run standard applications on it. Furthermore, if your PC's is busy with a CPU-intensive application such as graphics running on it, it can't do firewalling or routing at the same time and this is why you experience drops in connectivity or in pings.

I would recommend to move the PC to the LAN (not DMZ), to forward any ports on your router you need for gaming to the local PC in this LAN and to disable the firewall toy on your PC (but never do so on the upstream router). That would be a much more cleaner setup.

But this has nothing to do with the TL-SG108, so it is kind of becoming off-topic here. Maybe in gamer's forums you will find more help on how to cleanly setup a PC used for gaming with the need for certain ports open to access from the Internet.
Options
2017-04-14 22:21:45
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3438

Replies: 8

Related Articles