Can CPE210 work as client while grabbing signal from traditional WiFi router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-22 20:55:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey, I am wondering if I could setup CPE210 as client or repeater to expand the range from a traditional wireless router. Is that possible really?

Just like this:

Options
10 Reply
Re:Can CPE210 work as client while grabbing signal from traditional WiFi router?
2017-04-22 21:24:01
Sure it is possible, although it makes not much sense. First of all, real-live distance is limited by the main router. Second, repeater mode often introduces more problems - like hidden node problems - than it is useful. Client mode is preferable. Third, emission patterns of the CPE's antenna are directional (60° for CPE210, 45° for CPE510), not omnidirectional. CPEs are meant for a outdoor PtP or PtMP setup in WISP configurations and this is where they perform best.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Can CPE210 work as client while grabbing signal from traditional WiFi router?
2017-04-23 00:45:02
Will this work actually?
What possible solution can be made to this case?

Options
2017-04-23 00:49:20
Again: it is an outdoor device. Not useful in such an indoor setup.
Options
2017-04-23 12:34:21

R1D2 wrote

Again: it is an outdoor device. Not useful in such an indoor setup.
What would be the possible solution to get the signal from main router via wireless. ?
Options
2017-04-23 17:06:12

w20grippy wrote

What would be the possible solution to get the signal from main router via wireless. ?

I would recommend to place the main router in the center of the area to be supplied, not in a corner.

If that doesn't help, first choice would be to place another AP (not router) in unit 3 and use a wired connection to the WR841.

If wired connection is not possible, next try would be a PowerLAN/DLAN connection.

If PowerLAN/DLAN isn't possible, you could use an indoor repeater, but this might be somewhat unstable due to the possible "hidden node problem" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem), so it is usually the last alternative. Wether the HNP might be a problem depends on wether your WR841 can see client devices in unit 3 at least (although a connection or a data transfer is not possible) or wether the WR841 can not see the clients at all. If the latter, using a repeater doesn't help that much.
Options
2017-04-23 23:58:30

R1D2 wrote

I would recommend to place the main router in the center of the area to be supplied, not in a corner.

If that doesn't help, first choice would be to place another AP (not router) in unit 3 and use a wired connection to the WR841.

If wired connection is not possible, next try would be a PowerLAN/DLAN connection.

If PowerLAN/DLAN isn't possible, you could use an indoor repeater, but this might be somewhat unstable due to the possible "hidden node problem" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem), so it is usually the last alternative. Wether the HNP might be a problem depends on wether your WR841 can see client devices in unit 3 at least (although a connection or a data transfer is not possible) or wether the WR841 can not see the clients at all. If the latter, using a repeater doesn't help that much.
better explained by you until now. I used a repeater at C unit to get the signal over wireless and it gets only 18dB which is causing frequent packet loss to reach the AP(main router). As the router is set to a place which is not possible to shift further and the WR841N generates wireless signal outside to the perimeter of the room.....so I am planning to set an CPE210 in C unit at outside with the direction towards the edge of building where a straight line can be maintained easily without interference. What is your stance on that?

diagram could be like that:

Options
2017-04-24 01:51:56

w20grippy wrote

What is your stance on that?

Same. You can't align a directional radio beam of the CPE to a "wireless zone" inside a perimeter outside the house, but you would need to align the CPE to the antennas of the WR841, so that any wall in between the direct line from CPE antenna to WR841 antenna will contribute in degradation of the signal. The directional characteristic of the CPE's antenna generally extends the radio link's distance compared to omni antennas, but you would need to have a free line of sight and two equally strong antennas on both sides for a good connection.

Next point is the WR841, which also has to send a WiFi signal to the CPE. If it can't feed a repeater, it probably won't feed a CPE any better. Although the CPE's receiving sensitivity might improve the situation somewhat, it is not granted that the WR841 could send a signal strong enough to reach the CPE through walls.

Thus, there are too many "mights" and "coulds" to give a clear recommendation for such a setup. Maybe it works, maybe it only works somewhat better than with a standard repeater, but changes are that it won't work at all due to a weak signal from the WR841 back to the CPE.

If you can mount the 1st CPE outside the house (Unit 3 is an own free-standing house? And there is an unobstructed directional free line of sight possible? Important information you didn't provide in your first post!), then place a 2nd CPE on the building's edge or roof wired to the WR841 as suggested by Johnsontp in post #7. Align the antennas of both CPE's exactly to each other and it will work for sure. This is something at least Johnsontp and I could recommend. :)
Options
2017-04-30 00:23:25
All i need to run a experiment and let's see what i get from it. i heavily appreciate your apparent explanation regarding this critical setup. wire setup will be a superb one as it will not let go the price up and much stabilized network is expected with wire installation. but, cpe to cpe alignment and signal reception has become much clearer to me. so, i would say anyone that cpe is not the type to work with WR841N or any typical wireless router. The outline is I've to run a experiment in between CPE to WR841N.
Options
2017-04-30 20:10:56

w20grippy wrote

i would say anyone that cpe is not the type to work with WR841N or any typical wireless router. The outline is I've to run a experiment in between CPE to WR841N.

You are in error ... a CPE is of the model that is, and whatever the brand is, is designed to be used outdoors due to its power and directionality ... the WiFi signal is able to traverse only a certain Number of obstacles indoor ..., outdoors to the trees obstructing the signal partially, affects the performance of the links, you could bet that you will continue to try with both and the results will be the same, a team can connect to Another as long as they share the same wireless features, in this case the 210 can be connected and can connect to it, all equipment in the Tp-Link family and other brands ...

What you have in your hands now is the typical case of the wrong product in the wrong scenario, and it is the most common mistake of a connection failure ... and is reflected in buying before asking, or buying for bad advice Of the seller in store, that ofered the equipment only to sell them ...

If it is many walls to cross (although the WiFi does not like the concrete or the steel inside) could prove one of the famed breaks walls like the 3BUMEN that I could read, do wonders indoor and bring 1000mW of power (But you would have to inform yourself before), but be careful with This power in the house, could hurt head, and leave cooking slowly as in a microwave oven ...

Regards...
Options
2017-04-30 23:09:39
Absolutely correct, what Victor did wrote.

No matter which type of WiFi gear would be used as the remote device for the WR841N, the radio link at best will achieve the quality of a WR841N itself only, because the WR841N's device characteristics is what counts if it takes the role of the sender. The same is true for any client devices such as SmartPhones, tablets, laptops etc. used to connect to the WR841N - the radio link's quality will go down to that level, what the weakest device of the particular combination of the connected devices can deliver.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3725

Replies: 10

Related Articles