1 working CPE510 and 2 broken CPE210 - possible to fix a CPE210 using parts from the 510?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

1 working CPE510 and 2 broken CPE210 - possible to fix a CPE210 using parts from the 510?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-28 02:01:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]To whom it may concern,[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I hope this finds you well. My name is Matthew and my partner and I live in the rainforest of Costa Rica (www.thefusionhomeblog.com).[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We initially bought the Pharos CPE510 to connect to the wifi from base camp, I later discovered that I bought the wrong one - my bad. Several months later, once we back in the States, I purchased the correct one (CPE210) which worked great for about 2 months. One day it just decided to stop working, the plug adapter would flash green and orange - I also confirmed that there were no lights on the device itself. Maybe not so frustrating for people who can drive to the store and purchase another one but it's a little more complicated for us. Anyway, fast forward and several months later I bought a new one - it only lasted about 4 hours before having the same problem as the previous one. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Currently I have a cheap standard router that manages to pick up a weak signal, it is not ideal but it doesn't break. I really want to have this set up work correctly but I am hesitant to purchase another one as I've spent over $300.00 already and am sitting with 2 broken CPE210's I can't use as well as a working CPE510 which is useless. In addition to not wanting to spend more money, I also don't want to wait several more months and then possibly have another one go on me. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My question is, do you know why this is happening, is it a common problem? I did ground both of them. My second question is would one of you maybe know how to bring one of the CPE210's back to life using the CPE510 for parts? It would be great if I could save a trip back to the States to get this working again.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Any help/support you could provide will be extremely appreciated. I would really like to avoid purchasing a 4th unit.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you [/FONT]
Options
7 Reply
Re:1 working CPE510 and 2 broken CPE210 - possible to fix a CPE210 using parts from the 510?
2017-07-28 04:45:49
Hi Matt...

Long time ago I collaborate with you to solve your connection problem there in the jungle ...

Regarding your concerns, I will tell you that first you have to determine which part of the infrastructure is the one that failed, you say that the PoE adapter is flashing in green and orange ... this could indicate an overconsumption of the equipment, either by a short circuit in The device pharos cpe .... now, if you test it disconnected from the cpe, the led still blinking in green and orange ??? ...
Made disassembled the ceiling equipment and tested directly ... turn on some led indicator on the pharos ... ???

The problem with the second equipment is similar or has other symptoms that indicate other types of problems ...

We should also consider as part of the problem, the environment to which it is subjected, which in my understanding, there in the middle of the rainforest must be very humid ... and being outdoors, despite being designed for outdoor, It may not support the conditions of total humidity and condensation to which it is exposed ...

And finalizing ... if the fault is a problem of components, it is possible to place some of the 510 to 210, since the physical construction is the same theoretically, resistors, capacitors, transistors, voltage regulators, epprom memory, ram memory and up The processor could be replaced, but not the RF chip because they are different frequencies ... now the problem would be to determine which component to change, and you must also use a heat station to perform the desoldering and soldering of components that are necessary for the repair..

Finally, wherever you are, they have a connection from line to ground ... I imagine that being in a tropical zone, there must be constant atmospheric discharges, to ensure the protection of the equipment, utp armored cable should be used with cat6 connectors, (There is an electrical connection between the line of protection (line to earth) and the pharos cpe through the PoE adapter ... there is also a ground terminal directly in the CPE that you should have permanently connected to ensure the protection .. ..

Regards...
Options
Re:1 working CPE510 and 2 broken CPE210 - possible to fix a CPE210 using parts from the 510?
2017-07-29 21:32:51
As you know, I had to purchase another CPE210 because the one you helped me set up died on me. Once I got the replacement it only lasted about 3-4hrs. Currently I am using a cheap standard router that picks up the signal from base camp, it does the job but is not as powerful (I got much faster speeds using the CPE210). The cheap router is running all the same stuff the CPE210 did, its never had a problem so I find it hard to believe that the CPE210 can't compete - maybe it isn't that great? However, when it was working, the speeds were noticeable different/better.

The lights only flash when I plug the lan cable in on the adapter but it is solid green when not plugged in. There is also no lights coming on the side of the device - it is completely dead.

With regards to the humidity, it is an issue in Costa Rica but I am perched on a hill and not under the jungle canopy. My house is floor to wall screens because we enjoy the views - no glass. Everything in our house is essentially outside because we have no windows, blinds, curtains etc. I have my projector, playstation, computers and the whole home is wired up with bluetooth/wifi smart systems, cameras etc - none of my devices for nearly a year now have struggled or broken. Its hard to accept that a product made for the outdoors is failing before my standard devices.

I have emailed tech support to see if they can further help me reassemble the 2 broken CPE210's with a working CPE510 but I have my doubts.

No one knows my set up better than you, I will be in America September and can purchase more devices, would you recommend something else? Is the CPE210 my best option?

Again, thank you so much
Options
2017-07-29 21:34:29
Apologies, the top of my response got cut off.

I started off my saying a big thank you Victor for all your help so far. You have been incredible support and I appreciate all your efforts
Options
2017-07-30 05:55:56
Of everything that you have answered, there is only something that is not clear to me and it is with respect to the system of electrical protection ... and I ask again ...

-have in the middle of the jungle, a grounding system for the protection of equipment ??? ...
- they have atmospheric shocks there (electrical storms), I assume that if being in the middle of the jungle ...

Remember what I wrote above ...

Victor Ramos wrote

to ensure the protection of the equipment, UTP armored cable should be used with Cat6 connectors, (There is an electrical connection between the line of protection (line to earth) and the pharos cpe through the PoE adapter ... there is also a ground terminal directly in the CPE that you should have permanently connected to ensure the protection .. ..

Regards...
Options
2017-07-31 00:14:37
Hola Victor,

Apologies, I forgot to include that part. The unit is grounded, my home runs off solar power so I'm very cautious when it comes to grounding. I also used Cat6 connectors - these are the ones I purchased several months ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017R12KF2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have other homes here that are not grounded (solar systems) and they have never had a problem. I will buy another unit when I'm back in America (September) and just hope that the first 2 were duds. Unless you can recommend something more durable?

Thanks again for all you help
Options
2017-07-31 02:13:01
Matt, before you buy, I think you should determine what killed your CPE210 ... because a third unit could go through it ...

If it were humidity, you could solve it by placing the CPE in a waterproof box of the used ones. The electrical connections and they do not move, they can be fixed internally with a product like Styrofoam, with its respective stuffing box that the service pull of the cable to Exterior .. ., Everything necessary to ensure the tightness ..., and you Secure the box To the pole with nylon cables or loop cables

You can also put inside a silicone gel bag to absorb moisture that is trapped inside ...

Anyway, it's just an idea ...

Another thing you could try, since your router tl-wr840 still works without problems, is to buy an RG8 cable with its connectors and an external antenna ... You can connect directly to one of the antenna outputs of the router .. This antenna mount it in the place of the Pharos so that it has a direct line of vision towards the base of the camp and connect directly through ...

http://www.tp-link.com/pe/products/details/cat-5691_TL-ANT2414A.html

http://www.tp-link.com/pe/products/details/cat-5067_TL-ANT24EC5S.html

Regards...

Options
2017-08-06 00:32:27
Hola Victor,

Thank you so much for all the additional info. I will review this today and see if I can make it work.

Have a fantastic weekend
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2507

Replies: 7