TL-SG1016DE Multiple VLANs & DHCP on each - Which one will Management IP go to?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-29 20:48:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everybody,

It's my first time to configure a TL-SG1016DE.

I'm a bit confused on how the switch will select which VLAN from which it will obtain an IP from as for its management IP if there are multiple VLANs on different subnets and each with DHCP enabled.

I don't see this switch having any configuration to select the management VLAN ID like other models (eg. http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-956.html )

Is there an algorithm it is using like lowest connected VLAN ID # or lowest Port # with DHCP response or something?

Thanks
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SG1016DE Multiple VLANs & DHCP on each - Which one will Management IP go to?
2017-08-23 11:39:32
Hi dude, I think the switch will obtain the IP from the DHCP server which is in VLAN1. If there is no DHCP Server in VLAN1, it will not obtain an IP.
Options
Re:TL-SG1016DE Multiple VLANs & DHCP on each - Which one will Management IP go to?
2017-08-24 00:47:15
Thanks for your reply. It seems as though you are correct for the most part. I was able to get the switch to pull off an IP from DHCP in other VLANs other than 1 though. At that time I did not have any DHCP in VLAN 1. It is a bit of a hack that we are forced to use VLAN 1 but I can work around it. We should be able to choose the managemnet VLAN atleast I think.
Options
2017-08-24 09:21:29
If you use a static IP for your switch, you could (indirectly) select the VLAN for mgmt. But you're right, the Easy Smart Switches should allow for a mgmt VLAN and get rid of that fixed native/default VLAN 1, indeed. Usually one can assign any VLAN to be the native VLAN if required at all. A fixed native VLAN 1 is problematic in environments, which use a dedicated VLAN 1 (such as OpenWRT-based networks, for example).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2620

Replies: 3