How to get the MAC address table from a SG3216 switch via SNMP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-12 11:57:45
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello !

I have some SG3109 switchs which are monitoed to its known MAC addresses. This works, just as an example, using linux snmpwalk command, like this:
>snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 192.168.1.2 .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3
and one can even pick the mac addresses directly.

Astounding for me, querying the bigger switches I have in use (SG3216) , which I bought later (some time after the SG3109) fails!
Does that mean, the snmp bridge MIB is not supported on this switch?
What so about the TL1600 - which is probably my next candidate.

But from a security perspective, a LAN has to be watched for foreign addresses and so I hasitate to buy a new switch from
TP-LINK, because I am unable to find the reason:
- not supported ??
- how to configure the switch to access this OID: .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

Note: There are several "standards" to this, see: http://cric.grenoble.cnrs.fr/Administrateurs/Outils/MIBS/?oid=1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22
- IP-MIB (CISCO)
- RFC1213-MIB (DELL)
- IP-MIB (DELL)
- IP-MIB (ietf)
- RFC1213-MIB (ietf)
Options
4 Reply
Re:How to get the MAC address table from a SG3216 switch via SNMP?
2017-09-11 09:50:15
hey dude, I think you are using the wrong oid value, I suggest you go to their official website to download the MIB files, the MIB files can tell you the correct OIDs of the nodes.
Options
2017-09-18 14:35:53
Hi,

and thanks for your reply.

ChimB wrote

hey dude, I think you are using the wrong oid value, I suggest you go to their official website to download the MIB files, the MIB files can tell you the correct OIDs of the nodes.

I do not believe that. If you are doing a snmp-walk, you'll find usually all presented value. THEIR MIB would not be neccessary
for this and this works with all switches, ehich provide the mac-address-table, at least, all of these, I've seen so far.
If this is not true, let me know!
The MIB is only valuable, if you have a full-fledged management system

And: If someone claims to be manageble, why does he not implement existing standards?

Regards,
Manfred
Options
2017-09-19 09:44:41
hey dude, I think you can test this in an easiest way, just run the wireshark, then use snmp to get this OID value, then look for the packets captured in the wireshark, and you will know if this OID really exists or not.:)
Options
2017-09-19 09:45:24
hey dude, I think you can test this in an easiest way, just run the wireshark, then use snmp to get this OID value, then look for the packets captured in the wireshark, and you will know if this OID really exists or not.:)

mabra wrote

Hi,

and thanks for your reply.

I do not believe that. If you are doing a snmp-walk, you'll find usually all presented value. THEIR MIB would not be neccessary
for this and this works with all switches, ehich provide the mac-address-table, at least, all of these, I've seen so far.
If this is not true, let me know!
The MIB is only valuable, if you have a full-fledged management system

And: If someone claims to be manageble, why does he not implement existing standards?

Regards,
Manfred
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1896

Replies: 4