Network between two CPE220 suddenly stopped working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-20 15:38:46
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello guys,

We've built a network of two CPE220 units at a distance of 100 - 120 metres, nothing to worry about. We use it between two buildings, just to avoid cabling. Everything has worked perfectly so far, for 2 months maybe with just several breaks which were fixed with some tweaking and especially after adjusting the WIFI channels of other routers, etc.

However, several days ago, the receiving part stopped having internet connectivity. The topology is like this:

One side: TP LINK router with DHCP -> CPE220 in AP Mode
Other side: CPE220 in Client mode -> WIFI router using the DHCP of main router

CPE220 AP address: 192.168.0.254
CPE220 Client address: 192.168.0.253

Now, what are the symptoms:
1) I can't really connect to the client side unit with direct connection to "LAN" port of POE adapter and my PC, the web interface doesn't load, connection error in browser (Chrome says "Connection interrupted". Settings are correct on my PC. Same settings are not problematic if I go to the AP unit, try to connect to its web interface it works flawlessly.

2) My unit is mounted at a height of 5 meters on the second building and the sunlight makes it impossible to observe the LEDs directly, but when it was dark, I could see that most of the time only the "Power" LED is ON and nothing else. In 1 minute, all LEDs flashed for a moment and disappeared again. At the moment (daylight), taking a picture with my Nikon camera shows that no LEDs are ON.

3) I really don't have access to LAN1 of the antenna directly because of the height but it should have worked through the POE port, as always before.

4) When the POE is connected to the antenna and the LAN port (of the poe adapter) to a switch, I could see that the switch LED for this port gets ON, stays so let's say 10 seconds and then breaks for 2 seconds. If I unplug the "POE" cable from the adapter, the LED is permanently OFF so it seems the antenna is not completely dead.

Firmware version in AP unit is : 1.3.0 Build 20150612 Rel. 50855 (due to the circumstances, can't really know if the Client side version is the same but I guess so).

Before going up at this height and cutting the cable ties, removing the unit, I would like to know if there are some steps to troubleshoot before removing the unit from there. Really, everything worked perfectly so I can't blame faulty cable, wrong settings, etc. Something else is going on here.

It is possible that the unit has gone through a failure but really I need some help how to troubleshoot.

EDIT: LED behavior proven
Hello guys, I've just observed the LED behavior on the Client side which is problematic. It's like this - only POWER LED is constantly ON, all the rest are OFF. Then, at some point all LEDs get ON for 1 second and then all get OFF and stays so for 10 seconds. Then, the second LED after POWER gets ON for several seconds and then again OFF. Before this occurs again, maybe 30-40 seconds pass.
Options
5 Reply
Re:Network between two CPE220 suddenly stopped working
2017-08-21 09:27:43
1. Reset the Client CPE220 to the factory default and the IP of Client CPE220 would be 192.168.0.254 and see if you can login to its web UI.

2. and upgrade the firmware to the latest which can be downloaded from the TP-Link website. http://www.tp-link.bg/download/CPE220_V2.html#Firmware
Options
2017-08-21 16:32:17
Hello Carat1,

1. Tried resetting through the POE adapter(kept the button pressed for 8, 10, 16 seconds) but could not login into the interface neither with the default ip (.254), nor with the adjusted one (.253) in case no resetting occurs. I can't confirm if something is actually happening, I could only confirm that by switch LED where the "LAN" of the POE is connected, it blinks for 10 seconds, then it is 2-3 seconds OFF, there are breaks. The same happens when I connect the LAN to my laptop directly. Windows detects a network, then it doesn't detect it for 3 seconds, then again, etc.

2. Surely if I am able to login.

I am going to buy a 5,5 meter ladder now and access the reset button on the unit itself and possibly LAN1 to connect directly to my laptop.
Options
2017-08-21 20:15:48
Just out of curiosity: did you install a cable with lightning/ESD protection or an earth-grounding strip directly to the CPE? If not, electrostatic discharge could have destroyed the CPE.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-08-22 01:49:30
Hello, I would like to update the situation. I succeed in reviving the unit. It seems that it was in such a state that it could not recover from even with power cycles. As I wrote above, I bought a ladder and was able to access the antenna itself and the "reset switch". So, after restoring factory settings, I was able to login into the web interface with the default ip. I started adjusting all settings and changed the "static ip". However, after the reboot, I was never able to login with the new IP. I wanted that both the AP and the Client are inside the network so I can access the interfaces from the network, without the need to wire cables whenever I need to access the AP, or the Client.

Never mind, made a reset again. This time the first step was to upgrade the firmware as per @Carat1's suggestion. I noticed the difference, the new version was much faster and more responsive. I adjusted all settings, mated both units but left the IP with the default, not in my network's range. I didn't have more time to deal with that and to me it was more important to recover the internet connection. Will surely try it another time, to adjust a static IP within the network range for the Client as well (The AP is already configured this way).

In summary, I really can't say what has made the unit go in this state, but surely it didn't want to recover factory settings from the POE adapter's switch and I really could not connect. No power up, power down helped.

@R1D2 - the units were installed by a contactor company we hired for the networks and other electrical units. I noticed they DIDN'T ground the units on both sides. Therefore, it is on my list to do it as quickly as possible whenever I have free time.

Thanks for the suggestions, luckily the unit is not dead and up and running again.
Options
2017-08-22 04:28:10
ESD can be the reason for all kind of malfunctions, such as those you described. It does not always kill the device, but can force it going into weird states, too.

If the mast is grounded, a GND wire directly from the CPE to the pole is sufficient. If the pole is not grounded already, I recommend UBNT ToughCable for the connection to the PoE adapter. The TC is an outdoor CAT5 cable with an additional 26AWG GND wire and has 24AWG Cu wires. The TC RJ45 plugs, which perfectly fit into the limited space of a CPE, can be crimped on this cable. This is the most easiest ESD protection (through the PoE adapter) if your antenna pole isn't grounded already.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1762

Replies: 5

Related Articles