Damaged firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Damaged firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Damaged firmware?
Damaged firmware?
2022-12-16 20:07:41 - last edited 2022-12-21 21:53:45
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.1 Build 20160412 Rel.57988(s)

I have 4 of these switches spread out at remote locations, and while running some maintenance I discovered that one of them has a different web GUI, and missing several features that are web-configurable.  All 4 were purchased at the same time and are on the same hardware and firmware revisions.  You can see a side-by-side comparison below, with the bad switch on the left and one of the others on the right.

I have flashed and re-flashed the firmware, and even tried switching the boot images to no avail.  I attempted to save the firmware from one of the good switches, but it wouldn't transfer the BIN to a TFTP server.

I really don't want to RMA the one switch, so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.  Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Damaged firmware?-Solution
2022-12-17 02:34:46 - last edited 2022-12-21 21:53:45

@JimSchu While I use Omada instead of standalone mode.  It looks like the switch on the left (Charlotte) is not signed-in as a full Admin (Admin Access Level), and may be only on a User Access Level account.  The manual is not clear on what menus are visible to specific Access Levels, but it does say they are cut down as you go from Admin --> User (could also be Operator or Power User Access Levels, but lack of Save Config suggest a User level).

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Damaged firmware?-Solution
2022-12-17 02:34:46 - last edited 2022-12-21 21:53:45

@JimSchu While I use Omada instead of standalone mode.  It looks like the switch on the left (Charlotte) is not signed-in as a full Admin (Admin Access Level), and may be only on a User Access Level account.  The manual is not clear on what menus are visible to specific Access Levels, but it does say they are cut down as you go from Admin --> User (could also be Operator or Power User Access Levels, but lack of Save Config suggest a User level).

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Damaged firmware?
2022-12-21 21:53:34

@JoeSea Thank you, that was it!  I'm using the "admin" account to login, but when I SSH into the switch and look at the config I see:

user name admin privilege power_user secret 5 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fortunately, "power_user" has permission to modify the config, where I was able to reset it back to a full admin and everything returned in the GUI.

Thanks for catching that, I never thought to look for that!

Options
2023-02-11 20:29:45 - last edited 2023-02-11 20:30:02

@JimSchu 

Hello! It's great to hear that you're trying to troubleshoot the issue with one of your switches. Based on the information you've provided, it seems like there could be a hardware issue with that specific switch. It might be best to consider an RMA, especially since you've tried reflashing the firmware and switching the boot images.

However, before doing that, you could try resetting the switch to its factory defaults and see if that resolves the issue. This can be done through the web GUI or via the CLI. Also, make sure to check if there are any firmware updates available for your switch and upgrade to the latest version.

It's important to keep in mind that all the switches you have were purchased at the same time and should have the same hardware and firmware revisions. If you're still facing issues, reach out to the manufacturer for support and mention your Shortpump Maintenance issue for a more efficient resolution.

Options
2023-06-30 16:51:03

@mikewiller314 I realize this is a delayed response, but the "admin" permissions ended up being restricted. Once I reset those, everything began working as it should and the switch has had no problems since.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 382

Replies: 4

Related Articles