Total Amateur with basic switch set up question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-04 23:35:49 - last edited 2023-02-07 05:36:52
Model: TL-SG108PE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Does the switch (TL-SG108PE) require a router between it and the cable modem?  It was my understanding that I could connect the switch directly to the cable modem thus getting internet to the switch.  And then from the switch out to the various wire connected devices (TVs, gaming, PC etc.) Using one of the PoE ports, I have connected a WAP to provide WiFi to the house.    When connected directly to the cable modem I get no internet at the switch.  If I run a cable from the cable modem into an old wirelss router and then into the switch I get internet at the switch and out to the wired devices.  Having it set up this way, I believe negates the WAP that I have installed because WiFi performance is poor even when right next to the WAP

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

BR,

Brian  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Total Amateur with basic switch set up question-Solution
2023-02-05 16:55:12 - last edited 2023-02-07 05:36:52

@Cooger36 Some more information would be helpful, e.g. which cable modem do you use.

In general: Yes, there must be a router between your LAN/Switch and the modem. But most consumer hardware usually contains a router. So, if you use e.g. Fritzbox or Draytek or some other vendor, it's probably already included.

Martin

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Total Amateur with basic switch set up question-Solution
2023-02-05 16:55:12 - last edited 2023-02-07 05:36:52

@Cooger36 Some more information would be helpful, e.g. which cable modem do you use.

In general: Yes, there must be a router between your LAN/Switch and the modem. But most consumer hardware usually contains a router. So, if you use e.g. Fritzbox or Draytek or some other vendor, it's probably already included.

Martin

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Total Amateur with basic switch set up question
2023-02-06 01:35:18

@mwo Thanks for the reply.

It's a Arris CM3200.  It is the one provided by our ISP, Armstrong.

A quick search and it appears to be just a modem and not a combination modem-router (gateway?).  

If in fact this is correct, then a router is required between the modem and the LAN/switch, correct?

Thanks again,

Brian

Options
2023-02-06 13:10:10

@Cooger36 Yes, that's just a modem. You can connect one single PC to it, if you wish because you will get only one IP address from your provider.

If you want to provide internet for more than one device and/or want to have some basic security features you need a router.

Martin

Options
2023-02-06 13:39:13

@mwo Again, appreciate the clarification.

Just ordered a new router that should be here later today!

Thanks,

Brian

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 4

Related Articles