RADIUS w/ EAP-MSCHAPv2 Not Working with Microsoft NPS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-10 23:14:46 - last edited 2023-09-12 01:24:00
Tags: #RADIUS
Model: TL-SG3428  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.11

Hello all, I will cut right to the chase:

This issue is also detailed on the TP-Link Omada Reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/16fbh84/re_tplink_omada_microsoft_nps_please_help_me_with/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue:

As it stands right now, I am trying to use my Windows Laptop as a wired RADIUS supplicant and I have my TPLink Omada TL-SG3428 acting as wired RADIUS client. I am using the Omada controller (Virtual Machine) to manage the switch. Users are to connect to the wired network and authenticate with their AD account credentials, so long as they are in the group "RADIUS users."

After numerous packet captures, log entries, and troubleshooting, I am at the following position every single time I attempt to connect to the network:

LOG ENTRY --->
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Policy Server denied access to a user.

Contact the Network Policy Server administrator for more information.

User:

Security ID:	SELLHOUSE\\TestUser4

Account Name:	SELLHOUSE\\TestUser4

Account Domain:  SELLHOUSE

Fully Qualified Account Name:	sellhouse.lan/DomainUsers/TestUser4

Client Machine:

Security ID:	NULL SID

Account Name:			-

Fully Qualified Account Name:	-

Called Station Identifier:		-

Calling Station Identifier:		54-EE-75-27-75-24

NAS:

NAS IPv4 Address: [10.17.93.8](https://10.17.93.8)

NAS IPv6 Address:		-

NAS Identifier:	54AF97051F6B

NAS Port-Type:	Ethernet

NAS Port:	20

RADIUS Client:

Client Friendly Name:	Omada Switch

Client IP Address: [10.17.93.8](https://10.17.93.8)

Authentication Details:

Connection Request Policy Name:	Omada

Network Policy Name: Omada RADIUS

Authentication Provider:	Windows

Authentication Server:  R510TestServer.sellhouse.lan

Authentication Type:		EAP

EAP Type:			-

Account Session Identifier:		-

Logging Results:	Accounting information was written to the local log file.

Reason Code: 22

Reason:	The client could not be authenticated  because the Extensible    Authentication Protocol  (EAP) Type cannot be processed by the server.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I CANNOT MAKE THIS ERROR GO AWAY. I am attempting to use EAP-MSCHAPv2 to authenticate. It is configured this way on all devices that I can see. The issue is that Omada Controller only has PAP and EAP as options for the auth. protocol...but WHICH EAP PROTOCOL DOES IT MEAN BY THAT?

I am quite confused and am in need of some guidance. Pictures can be found in the links above. I can provide any further pictures or information that anybody needs to help me troubleshoot this.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RADIUS w/ EAP-MSCHAPv2 Not Working with Microsoft NPS-Solution
2023-09-12 01:23:45 - last edited 2023-09-12 01:24:00

@MR.S 

ALERT:

I CAVED. I just made a cert. Works now. Instantly. Worked first try after making the cert. Whatever man.Thanks for the help anyway!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:RADIUS w/ EAP-MSCHAPv2 Not Working with Microsoft NPS
2023-09-11 16:15:03

@VOID93 

do you set 802.1X Control to auto on switchport?

Have you tested with WiFi? does radius work there?

Options
Re:RADIUS w/ EAP-MSCHAPv2 Not Working with Microsoft NPS
2023-09-11 23:54:01

@MR.S 

I do not have a TP-Link Omada access point so I cannot actually configure an AP to use RADIUS. I just have a cheap walmart router in bridge mode acting AS an access point but it has no 802.1x configs.

And what is 802.1x auto mode? I have not seen that in the Omada controller. Where is that?

Thank you!

Options
Re:RADIUS w/ EAP-MSCHAPv2 Not Working with Microsoft NPS-Solution
2023-09-12 01:23:45 - last edited 2023-09-12 01:24:00

@MR.S 

ALERT:

I CAVED. I just made a cert. Works now. Instantly. Worked first try after making the cert. Whatever man.Thanks for the help anyway!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 725

Replies: 3

Tags

RADIUS
Related Articles