WIFI antenna with Client mode

2023-12-12 18:45:53 - last edited 2023-12-13 08:24:32
Model: CPE710  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am in the middle of a netowrk install on a yacht. I have a 5G cellular modem connected to the WNA port of an ER7206. I would like to get an antenna to connect WIFI from the marina to the ER7206 on WAN1 port. I would need to setup some type of Client or bridge mode to their WIFI on the marina but I'm getting alot of clonflicting info about different antennas. I can connect cell phones and laptops to the marina's WIFI not without any issues.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WIFI antenna with Client mode-Solution
2023-12-13 08:24:26 - last edited 2023-12-13 08:24:32

Hello @Essej,

1. The ER7206 is a wired router and it has no wirelss/WiFi function, only can be wired connecting to the WAN port to expand the internet.

2. The CPE710 is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 9 degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. If you use it in repeater mode, the performance may not be so good.

3. The classical topology is two CPEs to establish the WiFi bridge:

For long-distance communication, we recommend you set a point-to-point connection.
Which means you will need two CPEs plus one AP or wireless router and a clear line of sight.

The connection should be like Router----AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----Another AP.

One CPE should connect to the router in the main house to extend wireless signal to the other building, while the other CPE should be installed in the other building(your shop) to receive the signal from the 1st CPE.
The 2nd CPE will work under client mode which means transferring the wireless signal to the wired signal, so it will not broadcast a wireless signal.
If you need a wireless signal in the other building, you need to connect another AP or wireless router after the 2nd CPE to broadcast Wi-Fi.

For more details about this application, you can refer to the link.
We have some articles and instructions that might be helpful:
Long-distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point
How can I set up the AP + Client topology successfully

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:WIFI antenna with Client mode-Solution
2023-12-13 08:24:26 - last edited 2023-12-13 08:24:32

Hello @Essej,

1. The ER7206 is a wired router and it has no wirelss/WiFi function, only can be wired connecting to the WAN port to expand the internet.

2. The CPE710 is equipped with directional antenna as it is designed for point-to-point long-distance network transmission, its wireless signal is mainly focused on its front panel and has a very limited 9 degree angle, we can say that there is almost no signal on its side and back panel. If you use it in repeater mode, the performance may not be so good.

3. The classical topology is two CPEs to establish the WiFi bridge:

For long-distance communication, we recommend you set a point-to-point connection.
Which means you will need two CPEs plus one AP or wireless router and a clear line of sight.

The connection should be like Router----AP CPE)))(((Client CPE----Another AP.

One CPE should connect to the router in the main house to extend wireless signal to the other building, while the other CPE should be installed in the other building(your shop) to receive the signal from the 1st CPE.
The 2nd CPE will work under client mode which means transferring the wireless signal to the wired signal, so it will not broadcast a wireless signal.
If you need a wireless signal in the other building, you need to connect another AP or wireless router after the 2nd CPE to broadcast Wi-Fi.

For more details about this application, you can refer to the link.
We have some articles and instructions that might be helpful:
Long-distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point
How can I set up the AP + Client topology successfully

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WIFI antenna with Client mode
2023-12-13 22:33:39

Hello @Hank21 

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the ER7206 is a wired router that is why I was looking for an atenna.

I was looking at the CPE710 but I noticed a couple of issues I might encounter using it. First it seems like a directional antenna and the movement in the slip and tides would probably be an issue. I also do not have access to the marina's router as the WIFI is provided as a service so a second antenna would not be posible.

I found the outdoor WIFI antenna with good range from a different brand that has a client mode and took less than 3 minutes to configure. I was surprised and somewhat dissapointed that TP-Link has nothing to do this senario. Maybe in the future...

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 192

Replies: 2

Related Articles