Need Help with Point-to-Multipoint Setup

2024-05-13 12:56:28
Hi there,

I'm working on getting a small network up and running and could really use your advice to keep it simple and cost-effective.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
  1. I need three devices connected where one sends out the internet, and the other two catch it and share it with users through routers.
  2. Each of two receivers CPEs should get a good enough internet speed, say about 8-10 MBps, to make sure users can browse and do their stuff without issues.
  3. I'm also looking to share files with this setup.
  4. Given my requirement is not going to change in the next 5 years, I don't want to get devices which have more capacity, I want a cost-effective solution to fulfill my requirement.
  5. Below is a diagram showing where everything needs to go, how far apart they are, and the angles, which I hope makes things clearer.

image.png

Considering these points, I'm hoping you can share some advice or suggestions on:
  1. The best type of devices or equipment that would make this setup efficient yet cost-effective.
  2. The optimal height at which these devices should be placed.
  3. Recommendations on how to arrange everything, taking into account the provided layout. For instance, any recent video tutorials or blog posts demonstrating the setup for this type of network would be helpful.

Thank you so much for your time and help. I'm looking forward to your suggestions!
Options
4 Reply
Re:Need Help with Point-to-Multipoint Setup
2024-05-14 03:46:20

adarsh1783 wrote

Hi there,

I'm working on getting a small network up and running and could really use your advice to keep it simple and cost-effective.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
  1. I need three devices connected where one sends out the internet, and the other two catch it and share it with users through routers.
  2. Each of two receivers CPEs should get a good enough internet speed, say about 8-10 MBps, to make sure users can browse and do their stuff without issues.
  3. I'm also looking to share files with this setup.
  4. Given my requirement is not going to change in the next 5 years, I don't want to get devices which have more capacity, I want a cost-effective solution to fulfill my requirement.
  5. Below is a diagram showing where everything needs to go, how far apart they are, and the angles, which I hope makes things clearer.

image.png

Considering these points, I'm hoping you can share some advice or suggestions on:
  1. The best type of devices or equipment that would make this setup efficient yet cost-effective.
  2. The optimal height at which these devices should be placed.
  3. Recommendations on how to arrange everything, taking into account the provided layout. For instance, any recent video tutorials or blog posts demonstrating the setup for this type of network would be helpful.

Thank you so much for your time and help. I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Hi @adarsh1783 

Have you tried to search the CPE products in our official website or in forum? You can consider CPE210 or CPE510 to install the point to multi points connection. For the common scenarios of CPE, please refer to this link.

And when you search the CPE in official website, you will find the set up video of the CPE. For CPE210, please refer to Download for CPE210 | TP-Link

For CPE510, please refer to Download for CPE510 | TP-Link

Here are some instructions about how to deploy the CPE: Long distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point | TP-Link

How to adjust orientation of outdoor AP for better signal coverage | TP-Link

Please note that whether the point to multi points connection can be installed successfully is not guaranteed, which will be affected by the actual environment.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-26 03:01:10

Hi @adarsh1783 

Have you tried to search the CPE products in our official website or in forum? You can consider CPE210 or CPE510 to install the point to multi points connection. For the common scenarios of CPE, please refer to this link.

And when you search the CPE in official website, you will find the set up video of the CPE. For CPE210, please refer to Download for CPE210 | TP-Link

For CPE510, please refer to Download for CPE510 | TP-Link

Here are some instructions about how to deploy the CPE: Long distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point | TP-Link

How to adjust orientation of outdoor AP for better signal coverage | TP-Link

Please note that whether the point to multi points connection can be installed successfully is not guaranteed, which will be affected by the actual environment.

@Hank21 - Sorry for the delay is response. 

Sorry for the delay in response.

Thanks for sharing the two documents for setup, those are pretty helpful. 

I have read about the CPE210 and CPE510. Most of the documentation mentions they are for long-distance use, but it's unclear if "long distance" means more than 500m-1km or more than 5km-10km. I could get the CPE510 but am unsure if it will provide 300Mbps over a 2km distance.

To double-check, using the speed of light (c = 3x10^8 m/s) and frequencies (5GHz for CPE510 and 2.5GHz for CPE210), and a distance (d1 + d2 = 1.8 km), the maximum value of r is approximately ~5m for CPE510 and ~7m for CPE210. Is this calculation correct? Since we only need r(1-0.4) height above the obstacle, we require ~3m for CPE510 and ~5m for CPE210.

Based on these calculations, will I be able to get 300Mbps speed with either CPE210 or CPE510 over a 2km range? Or is there a difference in practical scenarios?

I read online that the CPE210 can have interference issues, and there might be other factors. That's why I'm sharing all these details and asking for suggestions. I'm fine with getting either the CPE210 or CPE510, but once I buy, there are no returns. So, I'm doing all this analysis.

Regarding PtMP, what are the key factors in deciding if PtMP is possible? Is there any documentation about this? I thought if we get a CPE that supports PtMP, then we should be able to set up PtMP.

Options
2024-05-27 03:11:44

@adarsh1783 What hasn't been mentioned is what is between the access point side and the client sides?  Is there a clear line of site or are there trees, buildings, hills, etc in the way?  Also, how much signal noise is there?  Is there lots of other wifi, cell tower, or industrial buildings nearby?  If this is a clear line of site with minimal rf interference, get yourself 3 CPE510's and set them up on a bench before you deploy them.  The higher you can mount them, the better they will work for you but don't go broke trying to compete with a cell tower.  Also, in a perfect scenario, you will get almost 100 mbit on a speed test.  I've found that the 210's can 'see' through trees and brush better but the 510's are less prone to rf interference.  Both products are reasonably priced as well and don't require much maintenance once deployed.

Options
a week ago

You can achieve this setup with a simple point-to-point wireless bridge for the connection between the main device and the two receivers (CPEs). Ubiquiti's NanoStation or  no text similar devices can provide reliable connectivity over distances with sufficient speed for your needs. For file sharing, consider setting up a basic network-attached storage (NAS) device accessible to all users.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 187

Replies: 4

Related Articles