How to Block Outgoing Traffic from local devices? After big DDoS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-10-22 20:50:59
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Friday, October 21st, it was widely reported that a massive DDoS had been launched and many of the sources of the bad traffic were infected devices such as security cameras, printers, routers, etc. Lots of news stories discuss this massive distributed attack: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/business/internet-problems-attack.html

We have a number of cameras and printers on our local 192.168.1.1 network that never need to send traffic outside. I would like to know how to make sure our various devices can never send unwanted IP traffic so that they can't participate in these DDoS attacks or otherwise have their data sent to unwanted locations.

I currently have a TP-LINK TL-R600VPN but would be willing to change routers.

I tried and failed to understand whether this device has a proper firewall feature.

Let's say I have a camera assigned a static IP of 192.168.1.180 . I want to disallow this from sending any outbound traffic to the wan.

Can this be done with the TL-R600VPN or is there another TP-LINK router that would have that feature?

Thanks for any help,

e
Options
2 Reply
FIgured out how to do it and the interface is pretty good.
2016-10-23 10:22:00
Ok, after a night's sleep and a bunch of poking around, it turns out to be relatively simple, but requires a few steps.

1) Under Advanced Settings:Access Control enable the Access Control checkbox
2) Select whether you want to default deny or default allow. Default deny is better, but requires more configuration.
3) Go to Access Control:Host and create a named Host grouping (range or specific MAC address / network ID). Annoyingly, this mac address field requires dashes and rejects colons, which are common in other software, so cutting and pasting from other network tools requires editing. Hopefully future software would just auto convert colons to dashes.
3.1) In my case, I created a group I call "cameras" and set the IP range from 192.168.1.180 to 192.168.1.255
4) Set up Targets. In my case, I have no need for the cameras to talk to any outside network, so I don't need any specific targets. The Rule system has a deny all option.
5) Back to Access Control:Rule and Add New rule.
5.1) Named the rule Block Cameras Out, select the host grouping I just created ("cameras"); any target; schedule as anytime, action deny; status enabled.
5.2) Save.

To test it, I changed my laptop to use a manual IP address and confirmed that if I set my local IP into that range, all network access above this router was blocked. Huzzah!

Now for the somewhat longer task of going through the list of devices in IP & Mac Binding: ARP List and determine what each of those is and decide whether, when, and how they should be allowed to talk to the rest of the world.

Hope that's helpful for someone else. Wish I could edit the subject/title of my post.
Options
Re:How to Block Outgoing Traffic from local devices? After big DDoS
2016-10-28 10:16:44
Hey guy, thanks for the detailed information, its quite useful for me:)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5825

Replies: 2

Related Articles