Status LEDs on active ports always flashing synchronously | SOLVED

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-03 07:56:11
Model : TL-SG108e

Hardware Version : 2.0

Firmware Version : 1.0.2 Build 20160526 Rel.34615

ISP : N/A

On my unmanaged switch the status LEDs flash apparently only when there is activity on their port. However, on my TL-SG108e which is set up to use 802.1q VLAN tags, all the active ports flash simultaneously so I can't see which ones are actually transmitting/receiving.

Have I configured something incorrectly?
Options
39 Reply
Re:Status LEDs on active ports always flashing synchronously | SOLVED
2017-01-04 07:18:52
If all your ports are flashing synchronously, I believe your switch has "crashed" and going crazy with XMAs-lights style LEDs - If you run a speedtest through the switch, 99% chance your Xfer speed will be in the dump.

Try this:
- Delete all your VLANS ie. all back to VLAN1
- Disable "Storm control" protection
- Disable "Flow control"
- (Note: "Reboot" seems of NO help to clear VLAN corruption!)

Now your switch should be perfectly fast with no XMas lights, right?
Rebuild your VLAN carefully one at the time without any membership overlap (Ports belong to one VLAN only, except for VLAN1 members)

If you encounter the same problem again post your use case and VLAN definition.
Options
2017-01-04 12:13:55
Thanks, glasser. Yes, with 802.1q VLAN, all connected ports are continuously flashing because I have a torrent client running on a server on one port. The switch allowed ~25 Mbps download speed through the internet modem and router; I have not run a speed test on the LAN alone.

When I disable all VLAN modes, the status LEDs activate normally, that is the torrent client port and internet router ports flash continuously but the other connected ports flash only occasionally. If I use 802.1q mode with the only the Default_VLAN (1) and all ports' PVID set to 1, the LEDs also activate normally. After rebuilding the VLAN to my original configuration, the LEDs return to continual flashing (Flow Control and Storm Control have always been disabled.)

I am not clear on your latter instruction, "Rebuild your VLAN carefully one at the time without any membership overlap", as the SG108e maintains all ports on the Default_VLAN. This is the VLAN definition I am using:

802.1Q VLAN:
VLAN 1, Default_VLAN: ports 1-8
VLAN 2, Home: ports 1-6
VLAN 3, Apartment ports 1, 7-8

802.1Q PVID Setting:
PVID 1: port 1
PVID 2: ports 2-6
PVID 3: ports 7-8

Port 1 is connected to my router which routes to my cable modem. Port 2 is connected to my server with torrent client on it. The rest of the "Home" ports, 3-6 are connected to various laptops and a wireless access point.

I can't see what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks again.
Options
2017-01-04 22:20:39
After much experimentation with the VLAN mapping, it seems that the status LEDs of all connected ports blink when traffic goes between ports with different PVIDs. I can't think of an explanation for this except that it's a bug. I hope that traffic is not then being sent out on all connected ports as well!
Options
2017-01-05 03:28:16
Submitted ticket # 291412: TL-SG108E 802.1Q VLAN mappings with overlapping VLANs causes all status LED's to flash

When I use this switch with all VLAN modes disabled, the status lights flash independently, i.e. activity between a server and a router on two separate ports doesn't cause the LEDs on other ports flash simultaneously. However, when the 802.1q VLAN mode is enabled with overlapping VLANs (to segregate ports into two networks which both can talk over one port routed to the internet - ie. the two VLANs overlap on that port), the traffic between ports with different PVIDs (e.g. from a server to the internet router) causes the status LEDs of all connected ports to flash.

Is this a hardware limitation or a firmware bug?

[LEFT][/LEFT]
Options
2017-01-05 05:15:07
You did create a loop by assigning all ports to two VLANs with the setup outlined in #3 (ports 1 to 8 in VLAN 1).

To share an Internet connection on port 1 with two VLANs 2 and 3, port 1 must be a member of VLAN 2 and 3, but ports in VLANs 2 and 3 may not be members of VLAN 1. Whats more, your router on port 1 must be able to receive and send VLAN-tagged packets in order to be able to communicate with devices in both VLANs 2 and 3. So port 1 must be a tagged port.

See http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-544.html for an example of two VLANs sharing a common Internet router. It uses two switches, but you can adapt this example to only one switch too.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-05 06:26:54
You will notice, R1D2, that your link recommends a "loop" for the VLAN configuration just like I have. In addition, all VLAN memberships for the router port are untagged. In addition, I don't think I had a connectivity issue with my configuration as I had internet connectivity on both Home and Apartment VLANs and they appeared to be isolated from one another (no ping response from known IP address on other VLAN.)

If the PVID of my server port is the same as that of my router port, traffic between the two doesn't bung up the rest of the status LEDs. If it is different, it does. I can't see how you've explained this problem.
Options
2017-01-05 06:27:25

R1D2 wrote

You did create a loop by assigning all ports to two VLANs with the setup outlined in #3 (ports 1 to 8 in VLAN 1).

To share an Internet connection on port 1 with two VLANs 2 and 3, port 1 must be a member of VLAN 2 and 3, but ports in VLANs 2 and 3 may not be members of VLAN 1. Whats more, your router on port 1 must be able to receive and send VLAN-tagged packets in order to be able to communicate with devices in both VLANs 2 and 3. So port 1 must be a tagged port.

See http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-544.html for an example of two VLANs sharing a common Internet router. It uses two switches, but you can adapt this example to only one switch too.

It's clear we don't have a common understanding on this tag-based VLAN question. May be we are onto something that will make this device work as expected...
In the FAQ-544 example: they essentially create a VLAN1(1-9) duplicate called VLAN102(1-9) to share the Internet gateway via port 9... notice how their VLAN102(1-9) overlaps with all VLANS: VLAN100(1-3,9), VLAN101(1,4-9) and VLAN1(1-9) right?
This overlap is exactly like in 'Pleased' VLAN definitions on post #3: looks 100% correct to me.

Question:
"your router on port_1 must be able to receive and send VLAN-tagged packets in order to be able to communicate with devices in both VLANs 2 and 3. So port 1 must be a tagged port."
Q: What PVID/ VLAN definition would your port_1 have then not to overlap with any ports of VLAN2, VLAN3??

it is correct that if port_1 frames come in preTagged as VLAN2, VLAN3 they will bypass the VLAN Untagged traffic definition set on port_1
In the SG108E the "Tag/Untagged" option in the VLAN definition relates only to Egress ie. outgoing traffic. I believe that Tagged frame come in straight unfiltered to be matched by locally defined VLANs (such as VLAN102 being defined in the SG2216 secondary switch to share the Internet from SG2424 primary switch VLAN port_9).
Options
2017-01-05 06:37:38

pleased wrote

You will notice, R1D2, that your link recommends a "loop" for the VLAN configuration just like I have. In addition, all VLAN memberships for the router port are untagged. In addition, I don't think I had a connectivity issue with my configuration as I had internet connectivity on both Home and Apartment VLANs and they appeared to be isolated from one another (no ping response from known IP address on other VLAN.)

If the PVID of my server port is the same as that of my router port, traffic between the two doesn't bung up the rest of the status LEDs. If it is different, it does. I can't see how you've explained this problem.

Yeh, I think you are right. After more than 2 weeks of testing this SG108eV2, I understand the broken feature list ("QOS by Port", "Tag based .1Q VLAN", "Storm Control" and "Flow Control") make this device a paper weight I don't need.

TP-Link already has a Version3 in the pipe as seen on their support site... that is if you care to debug their design by trials! TPLink routers are mostly great, unlike the chip vendor behind the 108EV2!!
Options
2017-01-05 07:23:44
In port-based VLANs assigning a port into more than one VLAN usually makes this port a trunk port, so it is not an access port anymore (no matter what it's PVID is). The TP-Link example in the mentioned FAQ uses access ports 2-3 in VLAN 100 and 4-8 in VLAN 101. By assigning port 9 into VLANs 100,101 and 102 it will become a trunk port, i.e. it requires tagged packets on input to be able to forward them into the destination VLAN. Just ignore the port 1 and the second switch in the example given in the FAQ, it's not important for the use case discussed here.

Anyway, in order to access two separate VLANs through one cable over a trunk port, your connected device (Internet router) must be able to send/receive tagged packets.

Just imagine you would use two cables to your Internet router, one from the switch's access port 1, another from access port 8. You would assign ports 1-3 to VLAN 2 (Home) and ports 4-8 to VLAN 3 (Apartment). Then you plug both cables from ports 1 and 8 into two LAN ports of your Internet router. Without separating this two LAN ports of the Internet router into two different subnets - one for Home, one for Apartment -, you would create a "loop" or more precisely, one big Home-Apartment-LAN out of two VLANs. Makes no sense to me. So, if you want to share a common resource between two VLANs you either would have to use two subnets on the Internet router and two cables to the switch's access ports or one cable to a trunk port using tagged packets.

AFAIK there is no way with the TL-SG108E to connect two separate VLANs over one physical access port/cable with two or even one common subnet. It must be a trunk port to do so. If I'm wrong, pls correct me and give an example of a working setup, I would be glad to try it out.

Of course there are alternatives such as VLAN-routing or multi-mode ports in more expensive switches, but - according to my knowledge - not in the TL-SG108E.
Options
2017-01-05 07:44:40

glasser wrote

TP-Link already has a Version3 in the pipe as seen on their support site... that is if you care to debug their design by trials! TPLink routers are mostly great, unlike the chip vendor behind the 108EV2!!

I'm not sure wether V3 will actually change anything except a new user interface with the new TP-Link logo. ;)

I first ordered a TL-SG108E and got V1 without a web UI, but with a "Configuration Uitlity" running on Windows only :mad:. Oh boy, I never ever used Windows in 40 years IT. I did read the whole manual before, but the German branch of TP-Link did by accident publish the V2 manual long time before the device was available. So I did send the switch back and asked TP-Link sales for V2, which was delivered more than a half year later. AFAIK it had the same features as V1, but a web UI - thanks TP-Link God :D. I also just returned a TL-SG108PE V1 with an old firmware version because of the same reason and now I'm waiting for the V2 replacement of this model.

However, I use the two TL-SG108E and one TL-SG2008 only for simple trunking of several VLANs at my home and home-office and a T1600-24TS in the machine room for doing all fancy things in between (mostly learning to be able to sell this gear to my customers). The T1600 was affordable for my small budget and it can do a lot more such as VLAN routing and multi-nets NAT, which can help in sharing resources in different VLANs.

If you could do this with a TL-SG108E - would be even better. But so far from my understanding and practical experience with this device, the TL-SG108 has only very limited features compared to the more expensive switches. That's not bad - a lot of people needs such a cheap switch, e.g. for VLAN-based Multi-SSID setup of WiFi gear.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 12665

Replies: 39

Related Articles