AC50 - Rate Limit and Traffic Limit does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-13 17:36:27
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

actually we are testing a Installation with a AC50 and a couple of CAPs. It works fine and users can connect and get access to the internet. So everything is o.k.

But we need a function to limit the speed and traffic for each user. In the menu Authentication -> Local User Management -> user i put in a limit of 10MByte per day. But nothing happens. I can download big files with hundreds of megbyte without ay limitation. Even the Rate Limit does not work.

Can anybody help? Maybe it is a known bug and will be fixed in a newer firmware? My firmware ist the latest one: 1.0.1 Build 20170706 Rel.72258

Best regards
Peter
Options
7 Reply
Re:AC50 - Rate Limit and Traffic Limit does not work
2017-09-15 14:17:21
Hi Peter,

I don't think it's a bug.

Rate Limit and Traffic Limit under Authentication -> Local User Management -> user can work only when you use portal web authentication with local authentication server function.

How did you configure it? If it's possible, you may post your configuration here.
Options
2017-09-15 17:58:34
Hi Carat1,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, we are using Portal Web Authentification and Local User Management. This means, for every user who wants to connect to the internet a window comes up and the user has to login with his name and passwort. The logon procedure works perfekt, so nobody has access to the internet without logging on. The limits are defined for each user in the Local User Managent as well, but it does not have any effect at all.

Best regards
Peter

P.S.: Sorry, I tried to put in a picture of my configuration screens but it is not possible.
Options
2017-09-17 13:53:23
Hi rohwedder,

Make sure you have upgraded the firmware of the CAP to the latest version as well. As it's declared on the TP-Link Website, it's important to upgrade the CAP's firmware to the latest one at the same time.
2. To use this AC's new firmware, please upgrade the CAP to the latest firmware first.

Best Wishes,Tom
Options
2017-09-19 18:39:54
Hi tomm,

it works! I put the latest firmware on the caps and I can set a speedrate and a volumerate as I want to.

Unfortunatelly there is not way to see how much of the volume limit is already consumed by the user. So the user is blocked unprepared and without any warning. If the volumelimit is exceeded, the only way to get the user up and running is to reboot the AC50. This means, all other users are kicked out for a moment.

The logs of the AC50 are very poor. Or maybe I just didn't find it?
Options
2017-09-19 20:17:45

rohwedder wrote

the only way to get the user up and running is to reboot the AC50.

The other way is to disable volume rate limits at all. What is the purpose of having a volume rate limit if you reboot the AC50 to overcome the limits when limits are reached?
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-09-19 21:35:29
Hi,
we have more than 100 staff members at different locations and they need to have free access to the internet for doing the job.
Some guys obviously are using the connection to download music, movies, etc. So we need a traffic limitation.
But exceptional it is nessecary to reset the limit for one individual user without affecting the rest.
I would like for example a clicker or switch in the configuration to reset the limit for just one user.
Options
2017-09-20 03:12:05

rohwedder wrote

Some guys obviously are using the connection to download music, movies, etc. So we need a traffic limitation.

I see. If I would have to enforce such a policy, I would block download sites on layer 7. The right place to enforce such policies would be the firewall of the router. This way you could ensure that people obey the company's rules.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1314

Replies: 7