Gated Community Wifi for CCTV and hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Gated Community Wifi for CCTV and hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:Gated Community Wifi for CCTV and hotspot
2017-09-17 16:30:05

R1D2 wrote

Are you using CPE210 for the directional link? Wouldn't recommend this. Use CPE510 instead.

CPE210's directional antennas have a beam width of 65° (H plane) / 35° (E plane), not well suited for omnidirectional coverage. Also keep in mind that repeater/bridge modes will cut maximum bandwidth by half. Personally, I avoid repeaters at all, we had have too much troubles with it.

No,the point to point links are CPE510.
Only the last mile distribution is to be on 2.4Ghz.

Since the CPE210 is advertised as 2X2 MIMO, I was (incorrectly) hoping that it probably is a dual radio that can work as a bridge-repeater.
I guess this means that I will go ahead with the 3 sets of CPE510-CPE510-EAP110 combination (and 1 additional EAP110 wired at the central location).

If in case we get blind spots, I suppose I will need to setup another set of 3 to eliminate that - Or alternatively a CPE210 near a blind spot in bridge mode to an active EAP110 and passing the distribution job to a EAP110

Thanks once again for all the help
Options
2017-09-18 03:20:27
You're welcome.

If you have deployed the network, please let the forum know wether it worked out for you.

Have fun!
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-09-18 19:19:58

R1D2 wrote

You're welcome.

If you have deployed the network, please let the forum know wether it worked out for you.

Have fun!

Sure - Hoping to get it all done over the next weekend..
Will keep the forum posted!
Options
2017-09-25 16:59:52

R1D2 wrote

You're welcome.

Have fun!

So we did a trial run over the weekend and it worked as expected
The 5ghz backhaul links are super stable with great throughput although the 2.4 coverage could have been a bit better (although it was to be expected given the noise in that band)
All in all, it works fine ...

Production deployment to be done over this weekend and probably next ...

A few items are still outstanding

1) What is the right power setting for a 100-150 m Point to point link (with clear LOS) for the CPE 510 .. AT the moment we tested it at the max setting (23dbm) but wondering if I should lower it down to reduce the noise floor for the other links?
Or should I just leave it as is as the other links are set to different channels

2) I was looking at the TP- Link ER5120 for the central router. While it is not really expensive, I am not sure if it is the right choice, esp since we don't have any WAN load balancing requirement
Also wondering if it may be worth looking at a prosumer wireless router like Netgear R7000 or Archer C7 given the relatively modest traffic - I can switch off the wireless radio to use it as a wired router or maybe even keep radio on to improve coverage in the community center area...

In any case, will keep the thread updated - Meanwhile any recommendations on the router are more than welcome
Options
2017-09-26 02:28:44

superczar wrote

All in all, it works fine ...

Glad to hear that it works for you!

1) What is the right power setting for a 100-150 m Point to point link (with clear LOS) for the CPE 510 .. AT the moment we tested it at the max setting (23dbm) but wondering if I should lower it down to reduce the noise floor for the other links?

23dBm TX power + 13dBi antenna gain is 36 dBm (3.98 watts) total radiation power. You could reduce TX power to lower interferences somewhat, especially to more distant neighbors sharing the same channel in the 5 GHz band (if any), but also if there are reflections disturbing the direct link. I usually reduce TX power step-by-step until I get best throughput on a given distance. Sometimes it can improve throughput, sometimes it lowers it, depending on the environment. Since rain, snow, humidity etc. can influence the quality of the link, giving some dBm more power than actually needed at time of measurement won't do any harm.

But also remember to use different channels for all other direct links, this will avoid interferences at all and will increase AirTime of each link.

2) I was looking at the TP- Link ER5120 for the central router. While it is not really expensive, I am not sure if it is the right choice, esp since we don't have any WAN load balancing requirement
Also wondering if it may be worth looking at a prosumer wireless router like Netgear R7000 or Archer C7 given the relatively modest traffic - I can switch off the wireless radio to use it as a wired router or maybe even keep radio on to improve coverage in the community center area...

Can't say anything about ER5120, maybe other forum users could be more helpful regarding this router. As for the Archer C7 it's a fine SOHO router for modest traffic IMHO, worth giving it a try.
Options
2017-09-30 03:13:29

R1D2 wrote

Glad to hear that it works for you!

23dBm TX power + 13dBi antenna gain is 36 dBm (3.98 watts) total radiation power. You could reduce TX power to lower interferences somewhat, especially to more distant neighbors sharing the same channel in the 5 GHz band (if any), but also if there are reflections disturbing the direct link. I usually reduce TX power step-by-step until I get best throughput on a given distance. Sometimes it can improve throughput, sometimes it lowers it, depending on the environment. Since rain, snow, humidity etc. can influence the quality of the link, giving some dBm more power than actually needed at time of measurement won't do any harm.

But also remember to use different channels for all other direct links, this will avoid interferences at all and will increase AirTime of each link.

Can't say anything about ER5120, maybe other forum users could be more helpful regarding this router. As for the Archer C7 it's a fine SOHO router for modest traffic IMHO, worth giving it a try.

All field tests done and have to say that I am pretty pleased with both the CPE and EAP device performance
The deployment is being done over this weekend
One quick Q though
I am finding it hard to get STP CAT6 spools locally which leaves me with the option of ordering from Amazon and defer deployment to next weekend

vs

Using regular UTP CAT6 and running a separate Ground wire from the CPE/EAP to the mains ground

Would choosing the latter route be not a viable alternative?
Keeping in mind that the cable runs will be short (20 M or less ), the device heights low ( 10-11M above ground) and the fact that we have quite a few tall residential towers in the vicinity

Edit: Never mind :)
Just read the Pharos manual PDF on theTP-Link site which explicitly mentions both as viable options
Options
2017-09-30 03:59:47
Both grounding methods are viable alternatives, yes.

If antenna poles are grounded already, easiest way is to use a grounding strap from the CPE to the pole.

If grounding antenna poles is costlier, the grounding wire in the Ethernet cable is easier.

Often CAT.5e FTP patch cables (but not CAT.5e STP or S/FTP patch cables) have such an additional grounding wire. CAT.6 patch cables and above are most often S/FTP not needing a grounding wire, but professional CAT.6 installation cable also has one. I prefer special outdoor cable because of another feature: it is UV-resistant and weatherproof, while standard STP/FTP cables are usually not suitable for outdoor use over long periods if exposed to direct sunlight and/or strong temperature changes.

But most consumer stores don't sell CAT.5e cables anymore and I even met an electrician at a customer's site, who (unsuccessfully) tried to deploy a CAT7 installation cable to the CPE and who wanted to tell me the tale, that CAT.5e cables "are not produced anymore" (that's wrong). :rolleyes:

Great that your field tests have been completed successfully!
Options
2017-10-17 03:27:29

R1D2 wrote

Both grounding methods are viable alternatives, yes.

If antenna poles are grounded already, easiest way is to use a grounding strap from the CPE to the pole.

If grounding antenna poles is costlier, the grounding wire in the Ethernet cable is easier.

Often CAT.5e FTP patch cables (but not CAT.5e STP or S/FTP patch cables) have such an additional grounding wire. CAT.6 patch cables and above are most often S/FTP not needing a grounding wire, but professional CAT.6 installation cable also has one. I prefer special outdoor cable because of another feature: it is UV-resistant and weatherproof, while standard STP/FTP cables are usually not suitable for outdoor use over long periods if exposed to direct sunlight and/or strong temperature changes.

But most consumer stores don't sell CAT.5e cables anymore and I even met an electrician at a customer's site, who (unsuccessfully) tried to deploy a CAT7 installation cable to the CPE and who wanted to tell me the tale, that CAT.5e cables "are not produced anymore" (that's wrong). :rolleyes:

Great that your field tests have been completed successfully!

Thought it would beworth updating that this is all completed now!
Really impressed by the CPE510 although not so much by the EAP110
The backhaul links with the former are super stable with excellent throughput

The EAP110 are doing the job although I had expected a bit better ..
Nonetheless, the system as a whole works fine :)

Thanks R1D2 for all your help!
Options
2017-10-17 09:19:44

superczar wrote

Thought it would beworth updating that this is all completed now!
Really impressed by the CPE510 although not so much by the EAP110
The backhaul links with the former are super stable with excellent throughput

The EAP110 are doing the job although I had expected a bit better ..
Nonetheless, the system as a whole works fine :)

Thanks R1D2 for all your help!

You're welcome. Yes, the CPEs are really good devices. Maybe the EAP110-Outdoor doesn't perform at best because of interferences wit other 2.4 GHz devices. What's with your Hikvision cams and the WMM incompatibility? Could you or TP-Link solve it?
Options
2017-10-20 15:32:08

R1D2 wrote

You're welcome. Yes, the CPEs are really good devices. Maybe the EAP110-Outdoor doesn't perform at best because of interferences wit other 2.4 GHz devices. What's with your Hikvision cams and the WMM incompatibility? Could you or TP-Link solve it?

No luck on the camera front.
At the moment I have disabled WMM altogether on the EAP110 - The client link speeds are in the range of 25-54 mbps with WMM disable so it works for now
Options
Related Articles