Email Validation in EAP Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-11 23:14:42
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,
I have a weird issue in setting up the email server for email notification in the EAP controller:

My email is not recognised as valid in the "Sender Address", but it is in the user name.

Seems that the validation for the field is broken... .email is a valid TLD :-)

Is there a config file somewhere where I can manually enter the proper settings? (I'm running the controller on Linux)

Bonus Question:

I see "SSL" as an option, but my SMTP only uses STARTTLS, will it work?

Thanks!

Umberto
Options
3 Reply
Re:Email Validation in EAP Controller
2017-10-14 01:31:57

umbertoghio wrote

My email is not recognised as valid in the "Sender Address", but it is in the user name.

Yes, it's a bug due to very restrictive validation.

On the other hand, hostname validation in EHLO SMTP requests is broken, too - here strict validation would make much more sense. Hopefully both bugs get fixed in next version.

Is there a config file somewhere where I can manually enter the proper settings? (I'm running the controller on Linux)

Don't know, didn't investigate this since the sender's from address isn't actually meaningful at all and thus can be any role account such as noreply@nowhere.com[EMAIL="noreply@nowhere.com"][/EMAIL] or eapctrl@yourcompany.com[EMAIL="dontanswer@yourcompany.com"][/EMAIL] (easier to change there).

Bonus Question:

I see "SSL" as an option, but my SMTP only uses STARTTLS, will it work?

Of course, yes. TLS1.0 is actually SSL3.1 (SSL 3.0 served as the base for TLS1.0). Actually it is TLS, but often people still call it "SSL" meaning the technique, not the protocol.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-10-16 07:09:09
Hi,
thank you, I'll give it a try but if the email are sent with a FROM different than the account the smtp won't send it :-)
Options
2017-10-17 09:22:32

umbertoghio wrote

Hi,
thank you, I'll give it a try but if the email are sent with a FROM different than the account the smtp won't send it :-)

I see. I have no idea why TP-Link checks the TLD's "validity" - every TLD could be valid, even .lan or .mymailnetworkinmyhouse.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 955

Replies: 3

Related Articles