R470T+ Speed test tops at lower bandwidth when balancing DSL and cable lines

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-22 04:49:54 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:16:33
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I just bought an R470T+router and after configuring it, I am experiencing an odd behavior, which I hope somebody could help me to understand:

WAN1: cable 25 Mb Down, 2 Mb Up
WAN2: DSL 15 Mb Down, 7.5 Mb Up

Both lines are tested and when I connect my pc directly to each one I obtain Download readings almost at each max. line bandwidth.
When I connect both to the router all tests (using speedtest.net) top a little below 15Mb, as if the cable line was not used, however, if I disconnect the DSL WAN port from the router, then I obtain the cable top speed.

It looks like it would always 'preferred' the slower DSL connection when both are available.

I tried all the combinations of both balancing options (Enable Application Optimized Routing and Enable Bandwidth Based Balance Routing) without any difference.

Thank you
Options
4 Reply
Re:R470T+ Speed test tops at lower bandwidth when balancing DSL and cable lines
2017-10-31 15:34:49 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:16:33
Hey,dude, have you ever set the link back up?
You can refer to the FAQ http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-715.html
Options
2017-11-01 06:05:15 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:16:33
Hi Panda, thank you for your reply.

yes, I did, and also read that FAQ and follow it when configuring, and read again now, just in case, but the configuration seems to be correct and the behavior keeps as described.
The configuration is pretty straightforward, and yet, I suspect I done something wrong because I suppose there should be other entries about this problem in the forum if this were a router problem, and I couldn't find any other.

Now I set a rule for the computers which speed I care, to use the fastest link, but of course I don't get the benefit of bandwidth aggregation.
Enabling and disabling the rule I get the same described behavior again (lower speed measured when both wan ports enabled for the IP).
Options
2017-11-02 16:03:11 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:16:33

Juancho wrote

Hi Panda, thank you for your reply.

yes, I did, and also read that FAQ and follow it when configuring, and read again now, just in case, but the configuration seems to be correct and the behavior keeps as described.
The configuration is pretty straightforward, and yet, I suspect I done something wrong because I suppose there should be other entries about this problem in the forum if this were a router problem, and I couldn't find any other.

Now I set a rule for the computers which speed I care, to use the fastest link, but of course I don't get the benefit of bandwidth aggregation.
Enabling and disabling the rule I get the same described behavior again (lower speed measured when both wan ports enabled for the IP).

Yes, that's strange. Only I can guess is maybe you have config the Link Backup to make only one line can work at the same time. Have you check it?
Options
2017-11-05 00:38:46 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:16:33
Yes I did check and backup config was clear, and I just rechecked.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1180

Replies: 4