vpn but router can't ping other

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-30 03:26:11 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an ipsec vpn connected between two routers but things behind each router can't see things on the other end, even by IP. One specific problem if anyone has an answer might solve the whole thing. Router A can't ping router B. I mean using the diagnostic ping in the router. Weird, huh?

Two new tl-er604w. Current HW & firmware.
Router A:
Behind a cable modem in dumb modem bridged mode.
LAN 192.168.5.0/24
Router B:
Behind dumb cable modem.
LAN 192.168.1.0/24
VPNs set as:
Using default settings for everything, IKE, IPsec.
IPsec policy Lan-to-Lan
Local subnet on A is 192.168.5.0/24. On B 192.168.1.0/24
Remote subnet on A is 192.168.1.0/24. On B 192.168.5.0/24
Everything else in both routers left at defaults.

Everything works fine internally on both ends.
From a PC behind B I can ping router A but can't get to anything else behind A even by IP.
From A I can't see anything behind B, or even ping router B from router A's diagnostic ping.

I just recently did the exact setup at another two sites and all worked as expected. As soon as the VPN connected all systems on one end could see all systems on the other end. But this pair of sites where I'm having the problem is just not working.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Options
5 Reply
Re:vpn but router can't ping other
2017-10-31 15:22:56 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16
Hi dude,
I think you need to check two things:
1. The Block PING from WAN setting of the Router B.
2. Check the Firewalls on the PCs, it could be the reason.
Options
2017-11-01 00:45:32 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16
Thanks for the response. I can ping each router from PCs on their own side, so they do respond. I can see shares and get pings from the PCs I'm trying to reach on each side from other stations on their own side, just not from any station across the vpn. But vpn says it's up, and like I say, I can ping router A from a PC behind router B, so the VPN really is up. It's just not giving any access other than that one successful ping test I can do.
I set both routers back to factory defaults, then set them up from scratch. When the vpn connected I tried pinging one PC to another and it worked and I thought the problem was solved. But then it stopped working a minute later and I'm back to the same situation. Both are going across the same ISP, and it's one I use for other vpns, so I'm totally stumped.
Options
2017-11-01 13:24:45 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16
The behavior you are describing is so unusual that I recommend you replace one or both.
I once spent a load of time trying to fix a customer VPN which was not connecting and it turned out that the router was defective. Swapped router and voila- worked like a charm.
Options
2017-11-02 16:18:10 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16

Njem wrote

Thanks for the response. I can ping each router from PCs on their own side, so they do respond. I can see shares and get pings from the PCs I'm trying to reach on each side from other stations on their own side, just not from any station across the vpn. But vpn says it's up, and like I say, I can ping router A from a PC behind router B, so the VPN really is up. It's just not giving any access other than that one successful ping test I can do.
I set both routers back to factory defaults, then set them up from scratch. When the vpn connected I tried pinging one PC to another and it worked and I thought the problem was solved. But then it stopped working a minute later and I'm back to the same situation. Both are going across the same ISP, and it's one I use for other vpns, so I'm totally stumped.

Maybe you can just contact the support of TP-LINK to find some help.
Options
2017-11-03 06:46:24 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:32:16
TP-link support- does that even exist?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2534

Replies: 5

Related Articles