Controller v2.5 can't see EAP115s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-22 04:25:26
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently purchased three EAP-115 and one SG1008 for our church. I set it up at home with the switch connected to my WiFi router's LAN port and my laptop connected to the WiFi router via WiFi. I used the Discover tool to find and adopt the EAP-115s and then the EAP Controller v2.5 to set up SSIDs and channels.
Now the hardware is installed in the church. I wanted to delete one SSID I had setup and change the password for another SSID. First I connected my laptop to the WiFi router in the church office via WiFi. I wasn't able to see the EAP-115s. I noted in the Controller UG that I should be on the same LAN so I moved to a hardwired connection to the SG10008. Still can't see any EAP-115s. Then I tried the Discover tool. Nothing. I tried logging into one of the EAP-115s using the ID and PW I'd set up at home and was able to gain access to it but I didn't need to make changes to it. I moved to another room and was able to log into that EAP-115. This one I wanted to delete an SSID. I clicked on the trash can icon but nothing seemed to happen. I tried it again. Still nothing. Using my phone I was able to discern that the SSID I wanted to delete was gone. I disconnected from this EAP-115 and tried to log back into it now that the SSID was gone. Now each time I try to log in to this EAP-115 I get rejected. It's still an active access point, but the password I wanted to change on the remaining SSID can't be changed because I can't see the device.

Do I need to remove the EAP-115 from the ceiling and do a hardware reset (I assume this is a paperclip access switch) and start over?

Any ideas as to why the Discover tool sees no one? The Controller tool hangs. When I asked for Details is says Write PID error. I get this same response at home when I start the Controller - there are no EAP-115s in my home at present. So for some reason I guess I'm not accessing the EAP-115s with the Controller correctly. HELP

Don Ansley
Options
4 Reply
Re:Controller v2.5 can't see EAP115s
2017-11-22 10:20:09
If you set up the EAP at home, it will use your home server's IP. If you then move it to another network, which use another IP range, it won't work. You should leave the EAPs at their defaults and set them up in the final destination using settings in the controller (discovery isn't needed with actual EAPs, if the controller is located in the same subnet).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-11-22 15:51:28
As R1D2 said, no need for the discovery tool.

Try these steps first.

Connect your controller laptop into the same LAN with the APs. Ensure the EAP controller is allowed in both private and public firewall polices. (Windows control panel --> firewall --> allow programs...)

Note: one important trick here -- When you install the controller I am sure you click allow at firewall prompt.
But Windows usually set newly recognized network as public network and apply firewall police automatically while seldom people realize that,
which means when you moved to the church and connected your laptop via wifi or wire, it probably had recognized the network as new network and forbidden the controller from access network.

When my customers reported that they failed to see the APs, in 80% cases it is the firewall to blame...:( (It is true, sadly..)

Run EAP controller.
Options
2017-11-25 08:39:16
Thanks for the ideas. It turned out the issue was the different host IP. I got into the router and found out my current IP which I've made static. Also, the Office computer account I can use has administrator privilege which my normal laptop account doesn't have. I think the non admin privilege causes the PID Write error. Everything at the church is up and running! Now I feel comfortable ordering the parts for phase two of the WiFi expansion.
Options
2017-11-28 17:57:24
So you solved it :D

DigitalDon wrote

the Office computer account I can use has administrator privilege which my normal laptop account doesn't have. I think the non admin privilege causes the PID Write error. .

Yes, you are right about the privilege. The current EAP controller installation process doesn't handle the privileges perfectly. This is one other thing TP-LINK should improve later.
Usually when installing software, it should ask users whether to allow the current account or everyone to use this software.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 613

Replies: 4