Small Campus Setup Using Three EAP220, One Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-21 02:34:25
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Here's what (and how) I’m trying to accomplish.

MY PLANNED CONFIGURATION:
1) My goal is to have the 3 EAP's distributed at key points in my small campus for optimum WiFi coverage/performance.
2) One SSID for the 2.4GHz and one SSID for 5GHz frequency. All three EAP's configured with the same SSID's.
3) Wireless VLAN ID (set to 1) the same for all three EAP's.
4) Captive portal enabled using External RADIUS Server and local web portal. No security set under Wireless Settings, since the captive portal will require login.
5) One user/password login for teachers and another user/password login for students. These will be entered on the captive portal login page.

WiFi clients are connecting to my EAP220 devices, but they timeout when trying to connect to the Internet. Three EAP220 access points are connected via cable to a Netgear CG3000D WiFi Modem Router. The EAP's use DHCP and are successfully getting IP's from the router. I've tried 3 setups to help me learn and troubleshoot:

1) Management Mode with Security Mode = None and captive portal enabled with simple password. In this case, WiFi clients get the portal login page and can login using the simple password. Afterwards, they can access the Internet. So, no issues here.

2) Management Mode with Security Mode = None and captive portal enabled with External RADIUS Server (using Local Web Portal). In this case, the portal login page appears correctly. But, the page timeouts after the user/password are entered. The problem is likely because I don't know what to use for the Radius Server IP, Port and RADIUS Password. I'm using Radius Server IP=192.168.1.6, Port=1812 and Radius Password=tplink (from the article http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-896.html).

3) Standalone Mode with Security Mode = None and no captive portal. I used the Forget AP feature to switch to Standalone Mode. WiFi clients connect to the EAP's, but not to the Internet (timeout occurs). Wondering whether the router setup is causing problems.

Hope my newbie post is not too tedious. Thanks.
Kevin
Options
2 Reply
Re:Small Campus Setup Using Three EAP220, One Router
2017-12-22 15:49:54
The portal page show up under second condition, mainly because the web server is accessible, while radius server is not, or the settings of radius is incorrect. You may need to have a check.
And under third condition, I suggest to have a check at the IP information of your clients when connected to the ap. Does the client get IP successfully from DHCP server? Tried static IP?
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Here's what (and how) I’m trying to accomplish.

MY PLANNED CONFIGURATION:
1) My goal is to have the 3 EAP's distributed at key points in my small campus for optimum WiFi coverage/performance.
2) One SSID for the 2.4GHz and one SSID for 5GHz frequency. All three EAP's configured with the same SSID's.
3) Wireless VLAN ID (set to 1) the same for all three EAP's.
4) Captive portal enabled using External RADIUS Server and local web portal. No security set under Wireless Settings, since the captive portal will require login.
5) One user/password login for teachers and another user/password login for students. These will be entered on the captive portal login page.

WiFi clients are connecting to my EAP220 devices, but they timeout when trying to connect to the Internet. Three EAP220 access points are connected via cable to a Netgear CG3000D WiFi Modem Router. The EAP's use DHCP and are successfully getting IP's from the router. I've tried 3 setups to help me learn and troubleshoot:

1) Management Mode with Security Mode = None and captive portal enabled with simple password. In this case, WiFi clients get the portal login page and can login using the simple password. Afterwards, they can access the Internet. So, no issues here.

2) Management Mode with Security Mode = None and captive portal enabled with External RADIUS Server (using Local Web Portal). In this case, the portal login page appears correctly. But, the page timeouts after the user/password are entered. The problem is likely because I don't know what to use for the Radius Server IP, Port and RADIUS Password. I'm using Radius Server IP=192.168.1.6, Port=1812 and Radius Password=tplink (from the article http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-896.html).

3) Standalone Mode with Security Mode = None and no captive portal. I used the Forget AP feature to switch to Standalone Mode. WiFi clients connect to the EAP's, but not to the Internet (timeout occurs). Wondering whether the router setup is causing problems.

Hope my newbie post is not too tedious. Thanks.
Kevin
Options
Re:Small Campus Setup Using Three EAP220, One Router
2017-12-27 10:26:02

kevinocie wrote

If the connection to the radius server is not established, page timeouts after the user/password are entered could happen.
What Radius server did you use and how did you configure? Do not just copy the radius info on FAQ. The Radius server ip is the IP of the host where the radius server is installed. Try to ping the radius server's ip address on the controller host and see if it can ping successfully.

What's the revision of your EAP Controller?As far as i know, since 2.5.x, if you forget the AP, AP will be reset and switched to standalone mode. So all settings will be the factory default. The issue of timeout occurs is reasonable. You can forget the SSID and reconnect it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 501

Replies: 2