TL-SG1005D not working as desired

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-26 10:07:29
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a very simple need out of this device and it isn't working. My current configuration is modem -> old router with wifi disabled: Port 1: Ooma Port 2: electrical company meter Port 3: ethernet cable that extends to my wireless router on the main floor. Technically I could wire it so the Ooma is between and acts essentially as an ethernet female to female connection and get rid of the meter (it is used to see real time electrical usage). I bought this unmanaged switch in hopes I would have it modem -> Switch: Port 1: ethernet from modem Port 2: Ooma, Port 3: meter Port 4: ethernet to router on main floor. When I do this, EVERYTHING dies behind the switch. From what I remember in my CCNA classes from 15 years ago, a switch is a smart hub. I know a hub would do the trick here so I do not understand why a switch doesn't work.

Please help. Thank you!
Options
9 Reply
Re:TL-SG1005D not working as desired
2017-12-26 19:18:52
You need to connect the switch to your router's LAN, not to the modem directly (if it is really a modem you are referring to).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-12-27 03:41:29

R1D2 wrote

You need to connect the switch to your router's LAN, not to the modem directly (if it is really a modem you are referring to).
It is a modem, Moto Surfboard...16 something. I realize now I need a router in the middle. I am getting some an extra Ethernet cable to run back and forth. It will eliminate an extra jump by having only 1 router between my modem and end points.
Options
My TL-SG1005D doesn't even get an ip
2018-01-22 03:23:03
I plug in this switch into my router in the fifth port and then connect a device to the switch. When I log in to my router settings and see what has been connected to it, I can see various devices of mine connected to it and their IP addresses, but I cannot see an IP address for the switch nor the device thats connected to the switch.
It seems that the switch does not connect to the router.
Please can someone help me get this to work?

To let you know what I have:
a Sky Q modem that only has two output ethernet ports (gigabit).
Ethernet port 1: I have a TP-link outdoor wireless access point connect to one port (this device shows an IP as well as the doorbell that connects to the tp-link outdoor wireless access point.
Ethernet port 2: I want to connect the Switch to this so that I can connect four devices using ethernet cables but I am failing miserably.
Options
2018-04-03 21:29:41

madmen wrote

I plug in this switch into my router in the fifth port and then connect a device to the switch. When I log in to my router settings and see what has been connected to it, I can see various devices of mine connected to it and their IP addresses, but I cannot see an IP address for the switch nor the device thats connected to the switch.

Ethernet port 1: I have a TP-link outdoor wireless access point connect to one port (this device shows an IP as well as the doorbell that connects to the tp-link outdoor wireless access point.
Ethernet port 2: I want to connect the Switch to this so that I can connect four devices using ethernet cables but I am failing miserably.

Did you get this to work? I have the exact same problem with my sky Q router...
Options
2018-05-09 17:35:53

TL-SG1005D is unmanaged switch, it hasn't the IP address, so you cannot see it on your router. It 's pulg and play, I think your network is working perfectly now. ; )

Options
My TL-SG1005D doesn't even get an ip as well
2018-06-07 04:49:19
Hi, I have the same issue, my modem a ISP supplied Huawei modem has this switch connected to it, it was working perfectly, but suddenly it decided not to. If I unplug the switch for a couple of seconds, it will recognize the connected devices.
Is there a fix for this?

madmen wrote

Options
Yes
2018-06-08 01:42:25
You need the router in front of the switch. The switch cannot hand out IP addresses, it just passes data through the proper port (a hub throws it down all ports). I had to run a second cable and it works fine :-)
Options
2020-09-03 16:13:56

I'm having a similar issue with my TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. I have an eathernet cable coming from my internet modem to the switch. Then I commected my TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, to the switch. The WIFI router never connects.

Where do I go from here? 

Options
2020-09-04 06:55:36

Dear @wmoore2002,

I'm having a similar issue with my TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch. I have an eathernet cable coming from my internet modem to the switch. Then I commected my TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, to the switch. The WIFI router never connects.

Please correct your setup, it should be Modem ---cable---WiFi Router---cable---switch.

Connect the WiFi router to the modem, ensure the WiFi router works first. Then connect the switch after the WiFi router to expand the Ethernet ports.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10252

Replies: 9

Related Articles