APs, VLANs and Google Cast

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-02 00:54:47
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have 3 EAP225 using the EAP controller, all 3 APs are connected to a 8 port managed switch.

Port 3 is connected to a unmanaged switch and then to a PC and AP.

Port 4 is connected directly to the AP.

Port 5 connected to a unmanaged switch which has a chromecast device.

Port 7 is connected to a unmanaged switch which has another chromecast device and AP.

I have 2 vlans on the controller, VLAN1 and VLAN3, the issues I'm having is when connected to the AP on port 7 I'm unable to see the chromecast device on the same port yet can see the chromecast device on port 5. Ports are set to untagged except for the trunk port which is port 1 on the managed switch.

If I set my main wifi vlan to vlan0 all chromecast devices show up correctly on all APs, once set to vlan1 and connected to the AP on port 7 the chromecast device disappears yet the one on port 5 is visible, however once connected to the other 2 APs the missing chromecast device is visible.

I don't get why the AP on port 7 has this weird issue but other APs do not, once I change the vlan ID from 0 to 1.

I know I can leave it at 0 which solves my issue but I'm trying to understand what the issue is, once set to 0 it introduces yet another issue as some of my apps are no longer able to power on/off my devices.

Id much rather fix the AP on port 7 than deal with the above vlan 0 issue.
Options
9 Reply
Re:APs, VLANs and Google Cast
2018-01-02 05:00:50
There is no VLAN 0. Setting VID=0 disables the VLAN mechanism. In general, VLANs are meant to separate subnets at a switch and have this switch carry more than one subnet over the same physical (trunk) cable, so using VLANs make sense if you want to use distinct subnets and that's why non-members of a given VLAN can't connect to members of another VLAN. To see certain devices on a VLAN, they all must be member of this VLAN (separate subnet).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-01-02 05:54:06
Yes I get setting as VID=0 is disabling the vlans thus treating the data as untagged, this works for the most part as I said.

I'm much more interested in why a single AP is unable to see both of my chromecast devices, but the other 2 APs have no issues once vlan1 is set as the VID on my main wifi SSID.

Unless I've somehow made an error with the configuration of port 7 or the AP on port 7. I've already rebooted everything and even re-provisioned the AP.
Options
2018-01-02 08:43:45
If you use VLANs on an EAP, it must be connected to a trunk port. Is port 7 a trunk (tagged) port?

There is too few information. How are ports 3 to 5 and 7 configured on the managed switch (VLAN membership, PVID, tagged/untagged)? Seems to me that you mix untagged traffic (chromecast/PC) with tagged traffic (EAPs) therefore causing such effects.
Options
2018-01-02 08:59:05
Port 1 is the only tagged port for vlan1/vlan3. Ports 3,4,5 and 7 are set as untagged on vlan3 and port 1-8 are set as untagged ports on vlan1 since that is the forced default. All ports have a P ID of 1 as I want all untagged data to go to my main vlan which is vlan1.

Indeed ports 3 and 7 have mixed devices for both vlans which is the only option I have. Port 5 does not need to be on the vlan3 at all, just using it for testing purposes.

I will set ports 3,4 and 7 as tagged ports on vlan3 since those are the ports the APs are connected too. Although how is all devices getting the proper subnet with vlan3 set as untagged?
Options
2018-01-02 09:39:18

johnsnow wrote

Although how is all devices getting the proper subnet with vlan3 set as untagged?

You need to set up DHCP to provide IPs for each subnet.

I'm not sure why you use VLANs at all if they end up in the same subnet? Just to have two different SSIDs? If so, is it for different WPA keys?

Usually VLANs are used to carry separate subnets over one physical cable, but to separate subnets you will need separate IPs, too. Otherwise routing on the router will inter-connect all devices anyway. But then you don't need VLANs to achieve this.
Options
2018-01-02 21:09:02
I have port 2 on the router set as a trunk port as well, so both vlans are getting IPs in different subnets.
Options
2018-01-03 01:45:45

johnsnow wrote

I have port 2 on the router set as a trunk port as well, so both vlans are getting IPs in different subnets.

Ok, so you have to connect the EAPs to trunk ports (i.e. the managed switch directly) and the PC/chromecast to one of those VLANs through an untagged port. PC and chromecast then will be visible on this VLAN only.
Options
2018-01-10 09:21:25
Since i have a single AP on port 4 with nothing else i should leave vlan1 as untagged and then tag vlan3 for port 4?

I can run a detected wire for port 7 so the EAP is going directly to the managed switch and set the same trunk options as port 4.

Port 3 is actually my main issue i physically cannot run a detected wire for the EAP so i'm forced to use a switch at this location, would purchasing a second managed switch help in this instance?
Options
2018-01-10 11:17:53

johnsnow wrote

Since i have a single AP on port 4 with nothing else i should leave vlan1 as untagged and then tag vlan3 for port 4?

What do you mean with "single AP with nothing else"? No Multi-SSID? Only one SSID?

I can run a detected wire for port 7 so the EAP is going directly to the managed switch and set the same trunk options as port 4.

What is "detected wire"? I'm not sure what exactly you want to achieve. It is pretty easy to defined the need for a VLAN: just imagine that VLANs are a way to transfer more than one subnet over the same physical cable. So, first is to define network topology as if you would use different cables and different switches. Then you assign VLANs and remove different cables/switches.

Maybe, you can post a schematic about the network topology you want to achieve.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1584

Replies: 9