Proper upgrade procedure from EAP Controller 2.4.8 to 2.5.3 on Linux

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-05 01:41:04
Model : EAP245

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi. I've been successfully running EAP controller software 2.4.8 for a few months now on (k)ubuntu 14.04. I'm considering upgrading to to 2.5.3, which would be my first upgrade. I have 2 APs (EAP225 and EAP245) in my environment. A couple questions about the upgrade.

[*]Do I need to uninstall 2.4.8 first (and create a backup config) or can I just run the installation for 2.5.3?
[*]Will I have to reconfigure anything other than the portal?
[*]Anything else I should know before upgrading?

I'm mostly an if it ain't broke kind of person with important software. It looks like from the notes I wouldn't get a lot out of this upgrade (I use portal, but I wouldn't use the new features in this release). But if there are security fixes, or this makes it potentially easier to upgrade to other releases then I want to stay current, but I don't want to mess up my currently very stable config. Has this release been stable for folks? Any new features/bugs not in the notes you may guys have discovered?

Thanks!
Options
16 Reply
Re:Proper upgrade procedure from EAP Controller 2.4.8 to 2.5.3 on Linux
2018-01-05 10:20:20
1. Upgrading to 2.5.3 doesn't require the uninstallation of an old version.
2. Portal config will be lost because 2.5.3 has a much different take on the portal. So you have to reconfigure portal other than anything else after the upgrade.
3. In general, a new release would be securer because some bug fixes and optimization. You may consider to upgrade if you need more portal features and a more stable system.

Notes from the TP-Link website
1. Please upgrade your EAP to the latest firmware with a note "If you want to use new features of EAP Controller 2.5.3 or above, please upgrade your EAP to this Firmware".
2. Once upgraded to this version of EAP Controller, you will NOT able to downgrade to an earlier version.
3. Portal configuration will be lost after upgraded to Controller 2.5.X from 2.4.X or earlier version.
4. Supporting 64-bit Linux operating system, including Ubuntu 14.04/16.04/17.04, CentOS 6.x/7.x and Fedora 20 or above.
5. Require JRE 1.7 Java environment.
Options
2018-01-05 10:41:13

newlinux wrote

[*]Do I need to uninstall 2.4.8 first (and create a backup config) or can I just run the installation for 2.5.3?
Yes. The install.sh will terminate with an error message " EAP Controller is already installed. Please uninstall it first." if an older version is installed already.

You could also manually save the old software by just renaming the top-level directory (EAPC home dir). Then remove /etc/init.d/tpeap and /usr/bin/tpeap (both are just symlinks). This will let you install the new version.

[*]Anything else I should know before upgrading?

Make a backup before installing the new version.

But if there are security fixes, or this makes it potentially easier to upgrade to other releases then I want to stay current, but I don't want to mess up my currently very stable config. Has this release been stable for folks?

Next version will fix some known problems of v2.5.3. Are you running the Controller in a private LAN or over the Internet?
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-01-05 23:08:08

R1D2 wrote

Next version will fix some known problems of v2.5.3. Are you running the Controller in a private LAN or over the Internet?

Thanks for you help. I'm running this in a private LAN. Just trying to decide if it is worth it to upgrade. Sounds like it should be pretty straight forward. I have a lot of other things I maintain in my free time, so when something is stable I try to pick the right time to upgrade. But if it is low risk and easy and not expected to take much time then I'll do it to stay current.
Options
2018-01-06 01:30:40
Well, I went ahead and upgraded. Was a little worried because I had to start the controller three times before it was fully successful. First time (automatic after install) failed. Second time said it was successful, but I couldn't connect to the management interface. Third time was the charm. Reconfiguring portal was easy. Miss my terms of service, which I assume was an oversight and will be back in a future release (And I have to go find what I had there - forgot to save that! - I'm sure it's in a document somewhere Or I'll re-write.

I thought I already posted this - but to answer your question, R1D2, this controller is run on a private LAN.
Options
2018-01-06 05:33:28
One other strange thing... My maps are gone. And not just the maps. The whole tabbed interface is blank - so I have no way to add a map. I click on the map tab and I get a nothing but the settings control underneath the main nav. Everything in between is blank...
Options
2018-01-06 08:21:56
Strange. Did you clear the browser cache? Maps work fine here. Map images can be found under /opt/tplink/EAPController/data/map/ (that's one reason why saving the old installation is better than just uninstalling/installing cycle).

Did you make a backup? Does the directory /opt/tplink/eap_db_backup exist? if so look for the TAR archives eap.db.tar.gz and eap.map.tar.gz in this directory. Importing a backup can be done manually by untaring those archives into the new EAPController/data directory.
Options
2018-01-06 11:59:57
I didn't clear the browser cache, but I did try different browsers that I hadn't used to access it before - same issue.

I created a backup in the uninstall process. I have a eap.db.tar.gz, but not an eap.map.tar.gz file in that directory. no images in the .../data/map/directory
The map functionality simply doesn't seem to exist. I'm tempted to reinstall. The tab just gives me a blank page - no controls or anything - on all browsers I tried. i wouldn't mind re adding the maps, but I have no way to do so via the interface...

What is normally in the map tar ball? Maybe I can recreate it manually and see if I can get the functionality back...
Options
2018-01-06 22:18:37
The map TAR archive just contains the map files from directory EAPC_HOME/data/map, see the code in uninstall.sh:

[CODE] #backup map,solve Bug 189651
tar zcvf $MAP_FILE_NAME map
cp -f $MAP_FILE_NAME $BACKUP_FOLDER/
[/CODE]

But as I wrote: it's much better to just rename the old installation instead of overwriting the files, that's as easy as manually executing a single mv command and it will become a non-destructive update. I always save old versions of the complete EAPController directory when installing new versions.

I would suggest to re-install the EAP Controller and test it before installing the DB backup. Do the missing tabs appear then?
Options
2018-01-06 23:41:04

R1D2 wrote

The map TAR archive just contains the map files from directory EAPC_HOME/data/map, see the code in uninstall.sh:

[CODE] #backup map,solve Bug 189651
tar zcvf $MAP_FILE_NAME map
cp -f $MAP_FILE_NAME $BACKUP_FOLDER/
[/CODE]

But as I wrote: it's much better to just rename the old installation instead of overwriting the files, that's as easy as manually executing a single mv command and it will become a non-destructive update. I always save old versions of the complete EAPController directory when installing new versions.

I would suggest to re-install the EAP Controller and test it before installing the DB backup. Do the missing tabs appear then?

Yeah, I was curious what exactly the map files are in tar ball - beyond the user supplied images. If it is a config file or files I could possibly reconstruct. Binary files, not so much.
Since I have backups of the configurations and recreating the maps is easy, I didn't see the need to back up the entire directory. However, I shouldn't need to have a backup to just to maintain the functionality of recreating the maps. I plan on reinstalling when I have another good window to reinstall. It is only the Map tab that isn't present that displays a blank page. The other tabs have all the previous functionality. The maps I had in there were just a nice to have, so not really a priority for me. I might just wait until another version comes out.

Does a new installation normally have anything in the EAPC_HOME/data/map folder? Looking at the controller tar ball and the install.sh file I don't think so. If a new installation typically is blank, as mine is, there was problably a problem somewhere else in the install.
Options
2018-01-07 00:15:26
The map directory just contains the images uploaded as maps. Coordinates of APs on the maps etc. are probably saved in the database or elsewhere. The latter is only a guess, since unfortunately there is no documentation available for the scheme used by EAP Controller.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2639

Replies: 16