EAP330 Controller Software

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-09 03:11:42
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Greetings

I have an EAP330. Installed controller on PC and adopted the EAP330.

Which features can run without controller software running ??

For instance I am using the Rate Limiting feature. I shut off the computer running the controller and rate limiting still worked fine.

Is there a list somewhere that outlines which features require the controller running and which do not ??

Any suggestions or pointers welcome.

Again Thanks in advance.
Options
10 Reply
Re:EAP330 Controller Software
2018-01-09 09:20:27
Features supported on the Controller are not exactly the same as the features on EAP in Standalone mode. Some advanced features only available on EAP Controller would work abnormally, for example, some advanced portal features( Hotspot,External Portal Server,SMS Portal,Facebook Portal,Local User). See FAQ: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1041.html

As far as I know, Rate limit is available both on the Controller and EAP in standalone mode. So that's the reason why it still worked fine even when you shut off the Controller.
Options
2018-01-09 17:36:48
Hi dstp,

We list the following features which are available and can be configured both on Controller and EAPs in Standalone mode. When these features are configured on the Controller with EAP adopted, Controller issues the configuration to the connected EAPs. When the EAP Controller is offline, configuration keeps working because it has been saved on EAPs.

· Portal: No Authentication, Simple Password, External Radius Server
· Mac Filter
· Scheduler (Wi-Fi)
· LED
· SSH
· Management VLAN
· Load Balance
· SSID Isolation
· SSID broadcast
· Airtime Fairness (only available on EAP330, EAP320, EAP225-Outdoor)
· Band Steering
· Access Control
· Rate Limit

The following features needs the Controller to keep running all the time. For more details about portal features, please refer to FAQ http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1041.html
Portal: Voucher, External Portal Server, SMS Portal, Facebook Portal, Local User, Reboot Schedule
Options
2018-01-10 00:25:13
Thank You for the Above. I include the response I received from tp-link email support for others who may be wondering

We are so sorry there is no list about this question. The controller will send the configurations to the EAP, if you have portal authentication settings or reboot schedule settings on the controller, you need make sure the controller always running.

If you want to use the controller to count traffic or monitor the working state of the entire network EAP, you also need to run it.
So when you use the Band steering, you know need to keep the controller running.
Options
2018-01-10 00:44:37
Maybe this needs further clarification. If I did understand tplink_smb's posting correctly:

To use band-steering you need to configure it using the EAP Controller. If you then shut down EAP Controller, band steering still works.

However, there is no way to configure band steering in stand-alone mode through the web UI, at least not on my EAP225.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-01-10 08:51:50
Hi R1D2,

Thank you for pointing that out. You are right about there is no way to configure band steering in stand-alone mode through the web UI. I will clarify it here:

For some features, they are supported both on Controller and EAPs in Standalone mode, but can only be configured on Controller. Features include:
Band Steering
Access Control
Rate Limit

There is no place for configuring this kind of features in Standalone mode on WEB UI even they are available on EAP itself. When these features are configured on the Controller with EAP adopted, Controller issues the configuration to the adopted EAPs. When the EAP Controller is offline, configuration keeps working because it has been saved on EAPs.

·
Options
2018-01-10 09:37:15

tplink_smb wrote

Hi R1D2,

Thank you for pointing that out. You are right about there is no way to configure band steering in stand-alone mode through the web UI. I will clarify it here:

For some features, they are supported both on Controller and EAPs in Standalone mode, but can only be configured on Controller. Features include:
Band Steering
Access Control
Rate Limit

There is no place for configuring this kind of features in Standalone mode on WEB UI even they are available on EAP itself. When these features are configured on the Controller with EAP adopted, Controller issues the configuration to the adopted EAPs. When the EAP Controller is offline, configuration keeps working because it has been saved on EAPs.

·

Does this apply for RSSI threshold value and the VLAN ID?
Options
2018-01-10 10:36:45

dstp wrote

Thank You for the Above. I include the response I received from tp-link email support for others who may be wondering

We are so sorry there is no list about this question. The controller will send the configurations to the EAP, if you have portal authentication settings or reboot schedule settings on the controller, you need make sure the controller always running.

If you want to use the controller to count traffic or monitor the working state of the entire network EAP, you also need to run it.
So when you use the Band steering, you know need to keep the controller running.

We just conducted a test and wrote a FAQ in accordance with this request yesterday, now available at http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2051.html
Options
2018-01-10 17:58:25

johnsnow wrote

Does this apply for RSSI threshold value and the VLAN ID?

Yes, RSSI can only be configured in Controller but not in EAP's web UI. When Controller is offline, RSSI still takes effect.
When Controller is offline, the VLAN ID of SSID won't change.
Options
Hi TP_SMB
2018-07-06 15:56:37

tplink_smb wrote

Yes, RSSI can only be configured in Controller but not in EAP's web UI. When Controller is offline, RSSI still takes effect.
When Controller is offline, the VLAN ID of SSID won't change.

EAP330 with bandwidth control.

I have a question, I set bandwidth control I'd set 10000KB but when I check the speed the highest speed is only 6MBPS. Then when I disabled the limit I got 20MBPS which is our speed limit. Then last I'd set the bandwidth control into 12000KBPS but when I test the speed I got 7MBPS only it should be 11-20mbps right? Thanks
Options
2018-07-06 16:00:31
Hi All,

I have EAP330 with bandwidth control. I have 20MBPS Iinternet when the bandwidth control is disabled.
I set 10000kbps but I got 6MBPS only. then I set 12000kbps but I got 7mbps only? can you explain us why? and how to calculate? thanks
Options