EAP245 for home use / no ceiling mount? (what antenna pattern)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP245 for home use / no ceiling mount? (what antenna pattern)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:EAP245 for home use / no ceiling mount? (what antenna pattern)
2020-04-13 17:58:12 - last edited 2020-04-13 18:05:18

@R1D2 

R1D2 wrote

Signal strength sideways is somewhat weaker than downwards and upwards of an EAP225. I did some bandwidth tests with an EAP225 sitting in ~2m distance on the tabletop in the same height as the laptop and got ~25% worser signal than what I get if the EAP stands on its tiny small side on the table (vertical position).

That’s interesting! My EAP245 sits tabletop on top of my tv stand, about 2.5 ft from the floor. My couch is about 13ft in front of it, if I sit on the couch with my samsung s8, which is on the same horizontal line-ish (sideways) of the AP, I get RSSI (using the Omada app) ranging between -50 dBm to -58 dBm (most sits at around -53 dBm). If I raise my hand with my my cellphone above the horizontal line, I get between -45 dBm to -50 dBm.

Yet, my amazon fire stick hooked up to my receiver, under the horizontal line, gets full signal at -44 dBm, but it is about 1-2 ft away.

Overall, I am happy with how this unit is placed, I get good signal everywhere, but just want to improve the signal strength on my 2nd floor.

BTW: you could also use an EAP225-Outdoor indoors if you like. This allows to mount it elsewhere and align the antennas freely into any direction on the H and V planes.

Once I hook up my 2nd EAP unit, I will analyze the signal strength with my downstairs unit off and see how it is. I think it’ll be fine overall since I am overthinking it, but I will consider the EAP225-outdoor as a last resort.

Thanks again for your replies!

Options
2020-04-14 12:12:03

Jmusic88 wrote

That’s interesting! My EAP245 sits tabletop on top of my tv stand, about 2.5 ft from the floor. My couch is about 13ft in front of it, if I sit on the couch with my samsung s8, which is on the same horizontal line-ish (sideways) of the AP, I get RSSI (using the Omada app) ranging between -50 dBm to -58 dBm (most sits at around -53 dBm). If I raise my hand with my my cellphone above the horizontal line, I get between -45 dBm to -50 dBm.

No wonder you get better RSSI (-45 dBm) above and below the horizontal line. Omnidirectional antenna patterns are often shown as a sphere, but in reality they are much like a donut, in case of EAPs a dount rotated by 90º.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2021-10-05 17:21:46

@R1D2 bringing an old thread for discussion. I have three EAP 225v3 mounted vertically at the wall - mix of brick and concrete. I'm not satisfied with the signal and was considering purchasing the wall option but found about this thread instead. 

From what I read, if the radius of the signal is best at the center, and my EAPs are mounted vertically in a wall, I need to either mount right above or lower where I want the strongest signal - donut effect says I can't put right at the same height. If I'm on a lower height - my case, about 1 to 1.6 feet - I could tilt it in a angle facing up to compensate for the lower height.

But I still have a problem with the 2nd floor. I have no place to put the access point but where it is right now... surrounded by walls and in front of a bookshelf with glass doors. I'm even considering disconnecting this AP.

Any other ideas that would not require hammering some walls? All the walls you see are brick or concrete, and there no ducts to pick the network cable that would give a better distribution - unless you know, I run network cables with electric cables, but that's a no-no as far as I know (someone might have invented some new material or coating, idk)

Options
Related Articles