APs working but EAP Controller showing as disconnected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-23 16:06:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

HiI have 4 EAP245 access points connected to a 28 port TP-Link gigaswitch. I had an engineer come over yesterday to configure... was able to access internet through all of them and the EAP Controller app showed them all as Connected.This morning however, I have seen that I can still access the internet through APs but Controller shows them all as disconnected. Any ideas why?I'm not technical, but when the engineer was over yesterday he configured everything fine, then changed the IP of the switch so I could log in remotely, but that then showed the APs as disconnected even though we could still access the internet. Frustrated after a while, he hard reset the APs and reloaded EAP Controller. They still wouldn't adopt. We switched off McAfee firewall and suddenly they all adopted and worked fine. Can the firewall have an impact on whether the APs shows as Connected/Disconnected in EAP Controller? Like I said, I can still currently connect to internet through APs, but want to update passwords for SSIDs and fear if I tamper, I'll lose connection altogether.Thanks
Options
13 Reply
Re:APs working but EAP Controller showing as disconnected
2018-02-24 10:47:39
Hi,

1. What's the software version of EAP Controller and EAP245? I suggest you to upgrade the latest verison of them.
2. Please check if the IP address of EAP245 had changed when it disconnected from EAP Controller, and check if you can login the web management page by enter the IP address of EAP245 in browser in the PC which installed EAP Controller. ( BTY, you can change password for SSIDs in web management page)
3. Please make sure you have close these advanced functions in EAP Contrrller--Load Balance, Band Steering, Airtime Fairness
4. And the modle of TP-Link swith, EAP245 need IEEE 802.1 "at" PoE power which power consumption is up to 30w If you support IEEE 802.1 "af" PoE power for EAP245 which power consumption is just up to 15w, it may cause insufficient power supply for EAP245 and some connection issue of it.
Options
2018-02-24 23:52:05
I believe if the firewall on the PC the controller is on is blocking certain ports it can stop the APs and EAP controller software from communicating, which would probably mark them as disconnected. I think you need UDP port 29810 and TCP ports 29811-29813 open on your EAP controller machine.
Options
2018-02-26 06:16:16

newlinux wrote

I believe if the firewall on the PC the controller is on is blocking certain ports it can stop the APs and EAP controller software from communicating, which would probably mark them as disconnected. I think you need UDP port 29810 and TCP ports 29811-29813 open on your EAP controller machine.

newlinux is right. It is the personal firewall causing connectivity problems and opening those ports or disabling the firewall solves the problem.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-02-27 01:49:49

newlinux wrote

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. But (again, I'm not proficient in networks), do I need to change something in my firewall to allow communication between Controller and the APs?......... or...... do I need to open those ports on my PC? ...and how do I do I do that anyway?Thanks vm..
Options
2018-02-27 16:28:34
Hi all, so it's definitely the firewall. I can turn the McAfee firewall on and off and the connectivity toggles similarly. I found the place to open ports and tried the ones suggested above by newlinux but just doesn't seem to resolve.... connection still drops when I turn firewall back on. Could it be a different port number?I was trying to initiate Windows own defender firewall but Windows doesn't seem to allow me to do that... keeps saying because McAfee installed, that programme controls firewall. I have opened the suggested ports in Windows and wanted to discount whether it's just a McAfee issue.Any more suggestions please?
Options
2018-02-27 23:23:32
Sorry, I don't have much experience with how to configure McAfee. Just make sure you have 29811, 29812 and 29813 open for TCP and 29810 open for UDP. If it still doesn't work it might be some other issue with McAfee. Or try opening them all both TCP and UDP. After you've done that you might want to use a tool to verify those ports are open. Some googling tells me you might need 29814 open as well.
Options
2019-07-20 07:27:44

Opening this old thread, the I turn off the firewall disable and shutdown my antivirus but still not working. I refer to these topic https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/109914?page=2 for other solution.

Any updates?

Options
2020-08-04 10:30:31

@Arjay12345 

hi there im looking for answer regarding this topic but for my problem is i think its not the firewall or something because im not using controller on PC but im using Omada Controller OC200 has the same issue showing Disconnected but AP are still online (no portal). if there is a captive portal all AP's are locked.

i just want to know if this is a problem on Omada?

we have 7 sites with 7 Omada Controller OC200, 2 of this sites keeps on saying Disconnected.....then it connects after an hour or 2 sometimes we need to reset the OC200 and readopt again all the AP's.

Options
2020-11-11 08:17:28

@Arjay12345 

I think you need first update the firmware of your eaps and use compatible omada controller. for me i suggest to use the version  3.2.1

are you using vlan?

Options
2020-12-01 18:27:04

I am not a business user.

I have a windows 10 machine running the controller and they keep getting disconnected?

How do I fix this?

EAP V3 225 

Controller 3.2.10

I don't understand any of the conversation about ports in this thread and I definitely did not need to do that in the past.

I looked at "Allow an app through firewall" but did not see anything labelled EAP or Omada or TP-Link

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 29819

Replies: 13