Different Authentication on different SSIDs/VLANs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-28 22:14:49
Model :

Hardware Version : 1.0

Firmware Version : latest

ISP :

Hi Guys,

i have configured an AC50 with some CAP1750 with 2 SSIDs on different VLANs

As example my AC50 has the ip 192.168.0.253/24 (ManagementNetwork) Default VLAN 1 connected to a HP 2530-24

SSID "Internal" maps to VLAN 10 Controller has 192.168.1.253/24 (ProductivityNetwork)

SSID "Guest" maps to VLAN 11 Controller has 192.168.2.253/24 (Guest-WiFI)

Multiple DHCP-Server on Gateway with all VLANs functional.

Everything works very well, :o but now i want to configure different Auth. on VLANs :

VLAN 10 only WPA/WPA2
VLAN 11 captivePortal with voucher Auth.(or WebAuth,onkey what ever)

If i try to connect to vlan 11 captive Portal capture my devicerequest and trys to redirect to vlan 1 192.168.0.253, but VLAN 11 is the guest-network
and devices from here i do not want in my ManagementNetwork:mad: or elsewhere...

Knows anybody how to resolve this problem ??
Is there a way to bind the captiveportal to another IP(192.168.2.253)

greets
TK
Options
13 Reply
Re:Different Authentication on different SSIDs/VLANs
2018-04-02 18:10:06
You will probably need to build your own captive portal, deploy it to a server in the 192.168.2/24 subnet, then use external portal authentication to direct guest connections to the portal. I'm struggling with the same basic problem with the Omada (EAP) line of equipment.
Options
2018-04-03 15:22:35
Thx for your reply.
But the suggested way is not the solution what i am looking for...
The primary problem is, every standard Network is VLAN1 and the primary VLAN of AC50 is VLAN1 too.
And is not changeable with the Webaccess and the Auth.Website ist bind to this VLAN Ip-adr.

The management Website ist accessible over all other VLAN-ip-Adr. why not the Auth-page ??
Options
2018-04-03 18:30:18
Why not run your management software inside a vm and just add multiple interfaces for the captive portal or forward, ..

An other option is to run nginx virtual host and just proxy the traffic.
Options
2018-04-03 19:50:01

TKits wrote

The management Website ist accessible over all other VLAN-ip-Adr. why not the Auth-page ??

See this recipe: you would us static routes: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?99025-How-to-configure-Multiple-SSIDs-with-Multiple-VLANs-on-CAP-amp-AC-products
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2018-04-04 15:28:42
Thx Guys,

to Ofloo : i will try to extract the ManagementSoftware from my Hardwaredevice AC50, may be i need a hammer or some other tools ;)

to R1D2 : thx for your hint, but if you have read that Guide you know thats a enormous effort and i hope there is a simple Solution,
probably the programmers have to do something. It could not be so diffcult to integrate a function to bind the auth-page to other ip-adresses.
And this change could provide much more flexibilty....
Options
2018-04-05 02:00:06

TKits wrote

to R1D2 : thx for your hint, but if you have read that Guide you know thats a enormous effort and i hope there is a simple Solution,
probably the programmers have to do something. It could not be so diffcult to integrate a function to bind the auth-page to other ip-adresses.

The guide just shows one possible solution, but the principle is always the same. And no, "binding IPs to an auth page" is no acceptable solution, since authentication then could be easily circumvented by clients just having to change the IP to break into the network.

That's why every business-class solution uses VLANs for Multi-SSIDs / separation of subnets for different classes of users and this is the reason why programmers did implement it in this way on AC50/CAPs and also on EAPs, CPEs etc.
Options
2018-04-12 16:19:52
Hallo R1D2,

i think you has misunderstood my request... VLAN is a must have !

I mean not a simple IP-Bind, i mean an IP-Binding with VLAN-TAG.

The ManagementPage works so like i awaited, if i bind an IP-to vlan 10 then it is possible to access this page from the WLAN with VLAN10 !
Thats what i want for the Auth-Page, nothing else

And you mean that is not a risk ?!?
If the Auth-Page always bind to VLAN1 that is a potential risk cause i must open my Firewall to give the user access to the Auth-page...
If i have then Auth-page on VLAN10 with an IP from VLAN10 then it is more secure.

Now it will conflicting with every standard-network, that customer have already ...
Options
2018-04-13 19:55:13

R1D2 wrote

The guide just shows one possible solution, but the principle is always the same. And no, "binding IPs to an auth page" is no acceptable solution, since authentication then could be easily circumvented by clients just having to change the IP to break into the network.

That's why every business-class solution uses VLANs for Multi-SSIDs / separation of subnets for different classes of users and this is the reason why programmers did implement it in this way on AC50/CAPs and also on EAPs, CPEs etc.

I think the request to allow binding a portal to specific host IP address combined with specific VLIDs is actually the most secure configuration you can possibly have. The issue here is that for the AC and EAP product lines require the portals to all live on a single VLID which pretty must kills the idea of dividing VLAN/SSID into separate IP sub-nets UNLESS the SSID's use PSK authentication. Coupled with the fact that portal defined Local Users and Vouchers are shared by all portals, the built in portal functionality in the EAP product line is of limited use.

I've encountered the same problem as TKits (I'm using EAP225s). Specifically, the need to have different portals for different VLAN/SSIDs accessible to specific IP sub-nets. Because a portal cannot be bound to an IP, every VLAN/SSID must be in the same IP range at least from the viewpoint of the controller software. To improve security, I've resorted to using a single /20 IP range then manipulating sub-net masks using VLAN specific DHCP scopes so that each VLAN/SSID "functions" as though it is in an isolated /24 IP sub-net. It is ugly but it works.

There are two simple features that will solve the problems I've encountered. First, allow binding a portal to a specific host IP address so that VLAN/SSID/Sub-net binding can be fully implemented. Second, Local Users and Vouchers should be defined within a portal (they are currently shared across all portals).
Options
2018-04-14 05:43:05
I still don't get your problem, sorry.

If there is a shared portal/auth service you have to access from all subnets (VLANs) you just create another VLAN for the auth service only.

In fact, I just did set up this scheme for a customer, but with our own captive portal, which in respect to portal/authentication pretty much works like the AC50 does. And yes, we have a private, isolated network, a transfer network for Internet access, an isolated management network and two networks bound to two SSIDs. I don't have to open the firewall of any VLAN for the portal except for the two VLANs connected with the EAP's SSIDs. The captive portal runs on a system which connects to the auth service over an isolated VLAN which is apart from private and management VLANs. There is absolutely no risk since the auth service is the only service which can be reached through its isolated VLAN.

In TP-Link's recipe you use VLANs, ACLs and Inter-VLAN routing for making the AC50 accessible for all CAPs. I still can't see why this should be a problem to give access to the AC50 only. Maybe you are to focused of running the AC50 in your main network? Our captive portal is VLAN-aware, so we don't need ACLs or Inter-VLAN routing (this does the CP automatically), but the principle is just the same. But I don't have an AC50 here to test with, we use EAPs and a dedicated router running the CP or alternatively the router and EAP software controller, both work with Multi-SSID and isolated VLANs pretty well.
Options
2018-04-15 17:31:15
I can't speak for the AC/CAP products. I am using only Omada APs and controller software running on an Ubuntu server. I am also running all easy smart switches with no (very expensive) layer 3 switches or routers.

I don't know how else to explain the problem; the built-in portals are tightly integrated into the controller software, bound to a single IP/port, and separated only by URI. That means the controller web UI must be accessible from every VLAN needing access to a portal. This alone is a huge security concern.

Ideally, the portals should be assignable to an IP/port that is isolated from the controller IP/port. Think of it as allowing the built-in portals to function like external portals that just happen to be running on the same host as the controller software.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3178

Replies: 13

Related Articles