Is it OK to add newer device types when adding to an existing mesh network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-04-10 08:22:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Do I have to buy more AC1200's to add to an existing mesh network of just AC1200's?

Details:

Last year I bought a TP-Link AC1200 EAP225 V2 unit to augment our uVerse modem's wifi, which was weak downstairs.
The EAP225 worked so well, we disabled the wifi functions of the modem, and it's been great.
Now, our house has gained new phones and ipads and three Amazon echos and five wifi-controlled power switches (TP-Link btw) and wifi seems overloaded.
I want to add another TP-Link AC1200 upstairs to augment our downstairs guy.
Our budget is bigger since the TP-Link line has proven itself and I want at least the newer V3 EAP225, but the faster AC12900 EAP330 is desired.

I want to have the same SSID upstairs and downstairs.

Can I buy a faster EAP like the AC1900 EAP330 and have it support the same SSID?
If not, can I mix the V2 and V2 EAP 225's?
Or, do I have to get the same model and version to have the same SSID upstairs and downstairs?

Thanks for your help!
Kevin Den

P.S. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I found nothing in the FAQs and the forum articles with "mixing" in them have to do with powerline devices, not wifi.
Options
1 Reply
Re:Is it OK to add newer device types when adding to an existing mesh network?
2018-04-10 09:55:51

denkin wrote

Can I buy a faster EAP like the AC1900 EAP330 and have it support the same SSID?
If not, can I mix the V2 and V2 EAP 225's?

You can use any EAP with the same SSID. Just make sure to use different channels in the 2.4 GHz band for the EAPs, at least 5 channels apart from each other. For 5 GHz also use different channels, in the US at least 2 channels apart, in the EU and most other countries different channels are automatically set 2 channels apart.

Note that every EAP must be connected to your router by cable.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 1