VPN settings for multiple clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN settings for multiple clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:VPN settings for multiple clients
2014-12-10 13:54:39 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:57:50

morph wrote

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-ER6120

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

We are experimenting with connecting remote users to the TPLINK using a VPN. It would seem the PPTP option is the one for us as we have 5-10 users who want to connect, from different locations like hotels, or at home.

Is it possible to have user specific authentication for the VPN? At present everyone has to share the same password. I could set up multiple tunnels but that seems a lot of work - one tunnel per person. Other VPN solutions allow authentication checks via Active Directory or a DB.

The reason I want to do this is for audit purposes, and so that I can easily close a VPN if an employee leaves, or I wnat to temporarily disable one person's access. Is that possible?

Mike

The PPTP/Server on the TL-ER6120 is capable of unique credentials per user in mode Client-to-LAN with a maximum of 32 simultaneous pptp tunnels.
If you have configured everyone to use the same password then your configuration will need to be altered to accommodate your additional users to use their own passwords.
Please post screenshots of your setup.
Options
2014-12-11 22:17:58 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:57:50
@Vpnrouter,

In my case, as described in my other thread, I need to set up L2TP LAN-to-LAN. ( http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78370-Can-this-DIAGRAM-be-achieved&region=china)

I can confirm, both the 604 and the 6020 VPN routers that I purchased refuse to register more than one configuration with 0.0.0.0 as client regardless of your choice of Client-to-LAN or LAN-to-LAN. I cannot imagine this being any different in the 6120 which also uses the same interface structure. The only difference between the routers in this regard is the number of supported simultaneous tunnels, 8, 16 or 32. PPTP or L2TP.

This is a very serious issue as it prevents the creation of anymore than one tunnel in cases where the client LAN's IP address is unknown ahead of time.

This morning I spoke to tech support in China and was told that this is, in fact, a bug and they are working on fixing it. That is very good news because otherwise we will have to abandon all plans for using these routers.
Options
2014-12-15 12:35:39 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:57:50

TPLinkster wrote

@Vpnrouter,

In my case, as described in my other thread, I need to set up L2TP LAN-to-LAN. ( http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78370-Can-this-DIAGRAM-be-achieved®ion=china)

I can confirm, both the 604 and the 6020 VPN routers that I purchased refuse to register more than one configuration with 0.0.0.0 as client regardless of your choice of Client-to-LAN or LAN-to-LAN. I cannot imagine this being any different in the 6120 which also uses the same interface structure. The only difference between the routers in this regard is the number of supported simultaneous tunnels, 8, 16 or 32. PPTP or L2TP.

This is a very serious issue as it prevents the creation of anymore than one tunnel in cases where the client LAN's IP address is unknown ahead of time.

This morning I spoke to tech support in China and was told that this is, in fact, a bug and they are working on fixing it. That is very good news because otherwise we will have to abandon all plans for using these routers.

If you want your questions answered please start your own post and refrain from hi-jacking other forum members threads of which I already answered.
Options
2017-03-29 09:56:29 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:57:50
any update on this? Can i have multiple user vpn account?
Options
Related Articles