Eap225 Install questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Eap225 Install questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Eap225 Install questions
Eap225 Install questions
2018-08-09 11:03:37

Greetings

I purchased the EAP 225 to give better coverage in my back yard. ie an access point

Looking at the instructions I have no idea whether this replaces my existing wifi, or if I have to go bridge mode. All of the fine features this apparently has are gobbledy gook to me. All I want is better range for about three computers for general surfing etc.

Frankly I am in over my head. The instructions are aimed at some one who actually knows what they are doing.

I can plug things in but past that need help.

Any help is appreciated or this has to be returned.

Donald G Hattier DC

Options
8 Reply
Re: Eap225 Install questions
2018-08-09 11:37:13 - last edited 2018-08-09 11:39:31

dghattierdc wrote

Looking at the instructions I have no idea whether this replaces my existing wifi, or if I have to go bridge mode. All of the fine features this apparently has are gobbledy gook to me. All I want is better range for about three computers for general surfing etc.

Setup is easy if you use the web UI of the EAP. Yes, it will replace an outdoor WiFi, but if meant indoor WiFI, it will extend it. EAPs have no bridge mode - they are just Access-Points, so you have to connect them by cable to your switch or Internet router. Make sure to use an outdoor cable for ESD/lightning protection, e.g. UBNT TOUGHCable. You find such cables ready for use with plugs crimped on it in WiFi online shops. For initial setup and test you can use a standard patch cable.

Here are the necessary steps:

1. Find an unused IP address in your network the EAP225-Outdoor should be assigned to (for example, 192.168.1.2 or whatever subnet you use). Make sure that no other device or DHCP uses this address and write down this IP for reference.

2. Connect the EAP to the PoE adapter, port "PoE". Connect your PC/Laptop directly to the "LAN" port of the PoE adapter. Do not connect the EAP to your network (yet).

3. Set your PC/Laptop to use a static IP from the 192.168.0.0 subnet, which is the default for any EAP product. For example, set your PC's IP to 192.168.0.10. Leave Gateway and DNS settings blank, you don't need them.

4. Start a browser and go to http://192.168.0.254. This is the default IP of an EAP. You will see the login page of the web UI.

5. Log in using username admin and password admin. In the next step you will be asked to change the credentials.

6. Now set the IP from your subnet you want to assign to the EAP in your network you did find in step 1. Select "Static IP" for EAP, enter the IP and netmask. Optionally you can set the gateway IP (usually your router's IP). Apply the settings. Note that after applying the EAP225 will not be reachable until step 7. Don't power off the EAP.

7. Change the IP of your PC/Laptop again to one from your subnet, e.g. 192.168.1.10. Connect to the EAP225 again, it now should respond to the newly set IP. If it does, you now can connect it to your network and revert back the PC/Laptop's network settings to use DHCP or whatever you did use before.

You now have added the EAP to your network. Load the web UI, set up the wireless settings such as SSID, WPA2 key etc.

Note that many people recommend to use DHCP instead of a static IP. I recommend the latter.

DHCP is fine if you manage a lot of EAPs by the Omada EAP Controller, but not for a single, stationary device in a home network. If using DHCP without the EAP Controller you would have to find out the IP address assigned by DHCP and this IP address can change over the time.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Eap225 Install questions
2018-08-09 13:59:47

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will give it shot later to day and get back to you. Many of the acronyms are new to me. But can be figured out.

Options
Re:Eap225 Install questions
2018-08-09 20:33:07

IN response to the person helping me. I had to re register as it would not allow me in on my password, nor could I ever get the random question right. Bad eyes. Small print and me are not companions.

I tried what you suggested and no go. I cant set the computer to static with out the subnet etc on my machine? Item 3 on your list. For that matter I have no idea how to verify what the other numbers are anyway? Item 1. Win 7 Pro? Yes I know but paid for.

And should that host computer be on the internet at the time?

As I said this is way over my head.

Dr D

Options
2018-08-09 20:58:41

Not sure what you mean with that you had to register. You don't need to register anywhere to log into the EAP225's web user interface.

Regarding the numbers you mean the IP addresses? To set up a device for your network you need a basic knowledge of network configuration such as what IP addresses for and how to change them. As for the steps to be done to configure the EAP you need to follow them in the order they are listed above.

If you have no idea what this is all about, I suggest you get help from someone who could assist you in configuration of your network.

Options
Re:Re: Eap225 Install questions
2018-08-09 22:04:34

Probably so. I called their tech support. They said to connect directly to the router, as opposed to the direct to the computer in your line 2. Going to the router did get me connected. Once connected and ran the controller software one time and the software wont open up again? .

Right now I have a cable going from my router to the lan port of the power supply and one cable from poe to the antenna.  

Is this how it stays? I assume I would need a long cable now to my outside location.

This is not for a novice. As stated all I want is extra outdoor range. I dont need any of the other stuff. Or really care for that matter.

Thank you for your patience. And responding.

Options
2018-08-09 22:28:20 - last edited 2018-08-09 22:35:53

dghattierdc wrote

Probably so. I called their tech support. They said to connect directly to the router, as opposed to the direct to the computer in your line 2. Going to the router did get me connected. Once connected and ran the controller software one time and the software wont open up again? . 

Yes, I know tech support recommends this method, but I disagree with them. IMHO it's much easier to configure the EAPs stand-alone (I'm doing this all the time, just right now I'm configuring three EAPs for delivery to a customer).

What's more, you don't need the Controller. It complicates things much if using the Controller for just one EAP. If you have to configure half a dozen EAPs even remotely, the Controller is extremly helpful, but it is way more complicated to configure compared to the EAP's web interface. That's why I recommend to use the web interface for home use.

Only thing is that you have to initially assign an IP from your network to the EAP (only once!). If this has been done, you will be able to reach it through your network.

Alternatively, if you prefer to connect the EAP to your router, you can reach the EAP through its automatically assigned IP, too. You just have to find out the IP your router assigned to the EAP automatically (e.g. from the DHCP status page of your router).

One more note: if you did adopt the EAP for use with the Controller already and want to switch back to the more simple web interface, you need to do a factory reset of the device (pressing RESET on the EAP with a paperclip for 7 seconds) before trying to reach its web interface.

Options
2020-12-03 14:16:30

@R1D2 

Reviving an old post.  I used this method a few times to set up my EAP's flawlessly.  For whatever reason I need to reset up an EAP, so hit the reset button for 10 seconds.

However, for the life of me, when I connect the EAP via POE, then connect the other side to my laptop, my laptop simply won't register any cable is plugged in, and doens't show an IP address (I assigned the ethernet IP4 address as 192.168.0.10).

Any idea why that would be?  Have tried on 3 different laptops now.

Options
2020-12-03 22:01:48

Okay, managed to get the EAP to connect to the laptop, changed it's IP address to a static one that I have reserved on the router for it (192.168.1.200), then managed to connect to it from my laptop after changing the IP of the laptop back to a 192.168.1.xxx address. Then unplugged it, plugged it into a POE cable on my network, waited for the green light to be solid .... and nada.  No internet connection when I connect to it's SSID.

Tried with another EAP I had lying around, same issue.  Any ideas why or what I can do at this point?   Tried rebooting the POE switch and the router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5048

Replies: 8

Related Articles