TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-09 11:51:44 - last edited 2021-03-15 06:48:21

Hi all,

I purchased the TL-SG108PE smart switch a couple of months ago and running into two issues:

(1) Every time I power cycle the switch, it factory resets, reverting to the factory default IP 192.168.0.1. This is highly inconvenient; is it standard behaviour/is there a way to set a persistent configuration or does this sound like a fault?

(2) I had a strange issue today. My network architecture looks like this: WAN > pfSense Router > TL-SG108PE Switch > NAS/WAP (same subnet). A couple of hours ago I found I couldn't connect to any devices on the network, with the exception of the router and the bare metal FreeNAS instance on the NAS. I was *not* able to connect to any of the VMs hosted within the FreeNAS jail, OR any other devices connected via the WAP (4-5 laptops, phones, tablets etc.). Pinging these devices resulted in a "Time to live exceeded" error. Performing a traceroute on the same hosts showed that it was connecting to external servers, and made it about 6-7 hops before converging on two external servers and oscillating between them. I'm assuming this was occuring because the hosts couldn't be found through the switch, so the traffic was routed to the router to find them. Power cycling the switch rectified this issue. My question is what could cause this behaviour and how can I ensure it doesn't happen in the future? The only settings I had changed were to change the switch from static IP reservation to DHCP to be allocated an IP by the router.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues-Solution
2021-03-14 12:25:10 - last edited 2021-03-15 06:48:21

@yangys I have resolved the problem. After the parameters have been changed and the respective [Apply] buttons have been clicked, the changes take effect immediately until the next power cycle. There is a separate [Save config] button to keep the changes. This is a kind of misleading UI design. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues
2018-08-09 13:38:47 - last edited 2018-08-09 13:39:20

1 - If you are saving the configuration, then definitely sounds like a problem. 2 - TTL is L3-based feature. I am almost sure, that the problem is not in L2 switch. Usually, switches can only hang, then you will have "request timed out". If switch doesn't have MAC-address in MAC-Table, it will just broadcast, if no reply for this from the hosts, then it's also request timed out. I bet the problem is somewhere in router or server for VMs, as there will be also a hop.

Options
2018-08-09 13:39:01 - last edited 2018-08-09 13:43:53

verysneaky wrote

I purchased the TL-SG108PE smart switch a couple of months ago and running into two issues:

(1) Every time I power cycle the switch, it factory resets, reverting to the factory default IP 192.168.0.1. This is highly inconvenient; is it standard behaviour/is there a way to set a persistent configuration or does this sound like a fault?

Did you save the config after applying changes? If not, factory defaults will be restored at next boot. Note that older firmware had the problem to only save the config once and ignoring all other requests to save again after more changes had been applied. If you have this buggy firmware (can be seen on the missing "Saved config to flash" success message after repeatedly saving the config), then either reboot the switch each time after a config save to ensure next save will work or upgrade to the latest firmware.

As for the second problem could have to do with WoL. While my MacBook's NIC wakes up when it receives a ping packet, other systems might need a magic packet.

Re: DHCP for stationary devices: don't do it. DHCP is fine for mobile devices, but not for stationary devices, especially if you need to access those devices. At lest, assign an IP using a DHCP MAC-to-IP mapping if you insist to use DHCP for each and every device in your network (except for the router I hope ). 

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues
2018-08-13 02:39:42

R1D2 wrote

At lest, assign an IP using a DHCP MAC-to-IP mapping if you insist to use DHCP for each and every device in your network (except for the router I hope ). 

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. My thought is that it's less confusing to be consistent about how IPs are allocated - better to have the router dictate everything rather than allow individual devices to specify their own ip. Means I can make adjustments all from one place as well.

As for saving the config, I'm 99% sure I did but the last time I power cycled and had to set everything up again was over a month ago so I don't have a clear memory. I'll make sure I actively save it this time.

RE: WoL, I don't think this is the issue. It doesn't seem likely that this would affect the majority of my devices all at once. 

Mitya: If it isn't a L2 issue, why would it have been resolved by power cycling my L2 switch? I wasn't experiencing problems pinging the router or accessing the internet, only other devices on my LAN. Doesn't this indicate an issue with the switch? Interestingly, whilst the NAS was accessible, the IPMI for the NAS was not. Both are connected to the same switch, so I'm a bit confused why one would be accessible but not the other

Options
Re: TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues
2018-08-13 11:37:45 - last edited 2018-08-13 11:38:48

verysneaky wrote

Yeah, this is what I'm doing. My thought is that it's less confusing to be consistent about how IPs are allocated - better to have the router dictate everything rather than allow individual devices to specify their own ip. Means I can make adjustments all from one place as well.  

OTOH, you introduce a single point of failure by doing so. If you ever had a router crash and need to replace it by another one, which uses a different DHCP server (e.g. ISC DHCP instead of dnsmasq), you learn the hard way to make IP allocation independend of any device in a network plan/allocation list on plain paper or a distributed DNS database. Not a problem in small networks, though.

As for saving the config, I'm 99% sure I did but the last time I power cycled and had to set everything up again was over a month ago so I don't have a clear memory. I'll make sure I actively save it this time.

Check the messages during saving the config. For about half a second the message "Writing to FLASH" should appear before the success message is displayed. If you save a second time and this message isn't shown, you have the old firmware and should upgrade to have this bug fixed.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues
2018-08-14 13:37:50

verysneaky wrote

Mitya: If it isn't a L2 issue, why would it have been resolved by power cycling my L2 switch? I wasn't experiencing problems pinging the router or accessing the internet, only other devices on my LAN. Doesn't this indicate an issue with the switch? Interestingly, whilst the NAS was accessible, the IPMI for the NAS was not. Both are connected to the same switch, so I'm a bit confused why one would be accessible but not the other

Try to traceroute gateway from the affected host. You will see between which 2 hops it bounces. Maybe, somewhere there is a wrong route, which conflict with L3 interface of switch, when it is configured, but when you reboot it and your settings are resetted, there is no more conflict. Check gateway everywhere, check you have no duplicated IPs.

Options
2021-03-14 03:56:41

@verysneaky I have a TL-SG1024DE switch and it has exactly the same problem. After changing the IP and other parameters and save it, the change is effective only until the next power cycle, such as if there will be a power outage. As the switch default IP is 192.168.0.1 which is in conflict with the universally adapted default gateway IP, all sorts of funny networking behavior would occur. It looks that TP-Link switches are all designed to factory reset after power cycle. This is not only inconvenient. It is insecure. After a power cycle, the TP-Link devices will reset them to factory default PWD. 

I would like to replace my TP-Link switch ASAP. Your recommendation of a more reputable product would be much appreciated. 

Options
Re:TL-SG108PE Factory resets every power cycle & weird switching issues-Solution
2021-03-14 12:25:10 - last edited 2021-03-15 06:48:21

@yangys I have resolved the problem. After the parameters have been changed and the respective [Apply] buttons have been clicked, the changes take effect immediately until the next power cycle. There is a separate [Save config] button to keep the changes. This is a kind of misleading UI design. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 4122

Replies: 7

Related Articles