Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-20 10:33:47

Hi all,

TP-Link has launch new controller version Omada 3.0.2 one of the most important features is Cloud Access Function but I have some doubts about it:

- Topology:

- Question: How can I do L3 adoption with the new cloud access?  For previous versions like Omada 2.7 I could send AP to be managed by a remote controller with Omada Discovery but it was needed a public IP/Hostname and port forwarding. I understand that now it isn't necessary because the cloud access solve it.

- Will EAP330 and EAP320 firmware for this new software? It has no sense that high-end EAPs only have fw for EAP Controller 2.5

- What do yo mean with Various known bug fixes in releases notes?

- Why I can not restore and backup Controller data when I use cloud access? This is a basic function for any technician, for example before a firmware upgrade.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues
2018-08-20 18:35:54 - last edited 2018-08-20 19:12:52

Where did you find Omada Controller 3.0.2? I can still only see v2.7 on TP-Link websites. Do you have a link, please?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues
2018-08-20 20:02:49

R1D2 wrote

Where did you find Omada Controller 3.0.2? I can still only see v2.7 on TP-Link websites. Do you have a link, please?

I found it over on the UK site: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/download/EAP225.html#Controller_Software

Options
Re:Re:Re:Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues
2018-08-20 23:16:08 - last edited 2018-08-20 23:26:15

Ah, thanks! Didn't check the UK site.

As far as I can see, this version allows you to bind to the cloud so that you can access the Controller through the cloud. Adopting APs should work the usual way (either through the Wizard at installation time, through Omada Discovery Utility or through DHCP CAPWAP option 138).

In other words: the Controller still runs on your server, but it links up to the cloud for access to the Controller, so your EAPs still will be adopted by the Controller running on your PC. I'm not sure wether the cloud service will allow you to adopt remote EAPs through a private tunnel and unfortunately I can't test it at the moment.

Maybe someone from TP-Link can enlighten us, please.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues
2018-08-21 02:28:39

Hi Sir,

Please refer to the following answers.

- Question: How can I do L3 adoption with the new cloud access?  For previous versions like Omada 2.7 I could send AP to be managed by a remote controller with Omada Discovery but it was needed a public IP/Hostname and port forwarding. I understand that now it isn't necessary because the cloud access solve it.

No. The L3 management method of EAP is same as before. You need use Discovery Utility or DHCP 138 to tell the IP address of Controller to EAP. The new cloud access function will allow you to manage Controller 3.0.2 remotely by cloud, but controller need to find EAP products first.

- Will EAP330 and EAP320 firmware for this new software? It has no sense that high-end EAPs only have fw for EAP Controller 2.5

Yes. We are testing the new firmware of EAP330/320 now, and it will be published soon.

Mostly fixed bugs are some UI displaying bug.

- Why I can not restore and backup Controller data when I use cloud access? This is a basic function for any technician, for example before a firmware upgrade.

For now, we can't save backup file to cloud server (it can only save in the local PC), so we disable this function when you are using cloud access function.

Options
Re:Re:Omada 3.0.2, L3 adopt and other issues
2018-08-21 17:24:30

jonas wrote

Hi Sir,

Please refer to the following answers.

No. The L3 management method of EAP is same as before. You need use Discovery Utility or DHCP 138 to tell the IP address of Controller to EAP. The new cloud access function will allow you to manage Controller 3.0.2 remotely by cloud, but controller need to find EAP products first.

It is an important issue, other brands (like Ubiquiti) has solve it. If I plan to manage some sites from a centralized controller I have the same requirements like previous omada versions.

Yes. We are testing the new firmware of EAP330/320 now, and it will be published soon.

Maybe TP-Link could publish beta firmware in the new community for improve it and have more users (the other tp-link forum didn't work fine...)

Mostly fixed bugs are some UI displaying bug.

For now, we can't save backup file to cloud server (it can only save in the local PC), so we disable this function when you are using cloud access function.

Most of the customers want to download remote backup file to their PCs, it is not necessary cloud storage. I assume that Cloud Access through Amazon Web Services increase cost if the data traffic grow but is a mandatory feature.

Options