EAP245 says disconnected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP245 says disconnected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
EAP245 says disconnected
EAP245 says disconnected
2018-09-02 13:12:18 - last edited 2020-02-14 01:15:34

When I login to the web interface, my AP has the status 'connected' in the list of access points. When I go back to that page a few minutes later and I refresh it, the AP is suddenly 'disconnected'. Why is my AP going to 'disconnected' each time, but the wifi still exists? The AP is powered on, so it should not be stated as disconnected?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP245 says disconnected-Solution
2020-02-13 00:49:23 - last edited 2020-02-14 01:15:34

@R1D2 I agree with your point. 

@alfsbhfr When the EAP devices are adopted by the Omada Controller, all settings you set in Standalone mode (web-UI) will be lost and the IP address of the EAP will be follback to 192.168.0.254. In this situation, if your Controller is not in the subnet of 192.168.0.x/24, you will find the EAP will be disconnected from the Controller. 

Therefore, we don't recommend you to set static IP address before adopting the EAP. Please assign IP address for the EAP devices by using the DHCP Server. And in this way, you will adopt the EAP successfully. 

Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:EAP245 says disconnected
2018-09-04 07:09:24

If you are using one EAP245 and no need for advanced function in Controller. You can just use EAP245 in standalone mode. (without Omada Controller)

From the page of Controller, the information of EAP245 is not complete (losing the AP Name, MAC Address, IP Address). It may because of the problem of Controller, you can completely uninstall the Controller and reinstall it again for checking. 

Maybe the connection between EAP and Omada Controller is not stable, you can use the PC which installed Omada Controller to ping the EAP245 for a while and check the connection stability between EAP245 and Omada Controller. And some firewal/anti-virus may block the communication between EAP and Controller, you can close it for checking or add Controller in white list in firewall/anti-virus.

EAP245 needs 802.3 at PoE power, the max power consumption is up to 30w. If you use 802.3 af PoE (the max power consumption is just 15w) to power the EAP245, it will cause the insufficient power supply of EAP245 and some issue (reboot automatically, disconnected from Controller, unstable wireless connection). You can check your power supply, too.

Best wish.

Options
Re:Re:EAP245 says disconnected
2018-10-14 18:11:08

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. Once the Omada Controller has applied the configuaration, afterwads the Omada Controller says connected but then suddenly says disconnected. The EAP seems to have lost its IP. Strange is, that the EAP still works but you cannot ping it or even login. You have to hard reset it.

My Controller is in the same subnet. I run a ping on from the controller to the EAP which is 100% stable. There are actuealy no Firewall ports open.

My EAPs get power from the power supply. For testing a used a 30w Power Injector instead of the Power Supply, which didn't work as well. 

Any idea?

Regards

Michael

Options
Re:Re:EAP245 says disconnected
2018-10-14 18:22:04
typo - the are no Firewall ports at all ;)
Options
2019-01-12 15:10:50

No one? Same probleme here with EAP-115 Wall.

Options
2019-10-11 11:40:04

I'm having this exact same problem. I was able to Provision my EAP245 and it is currently serving multiple wireless clients. I assigned it a static IP, however, I cannot ping it and the Omada Controller is disconnected. The Omada Discovery tool cannot find it either. Really frustrating. I should have just gone with an Ubiquiti unit.

Options
2019-10-11 12:16:07

forcedfx wrote

I was able to Provision my EAP245 and it is currently serving multiple wireless clients. I assigned it a static IP, however, I cannot ping it and the Omada Controller is disconnected.

If the connection between EAP and controller breaks after provisioning, your network setup is faulty. Maybe you can post some more information about your setup, so others can help. From my experience, such network problems (including my own) are almost always caused by Error #40.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-10-11 12:34:41 - last edited 2019-10-11 12:41:21

@R1D2 I have the controller running on a Windows 8 PC with the firewall totally disabled. I'm using Omada controller version 3.2.1 and the firmware on the EAP245 is version 1.4.0. My subnet VLAN is 10.0.0.0, the Omada controller PC is on 10.0.0.2 and the access point was assigned a static IP of 10.0.0.3. I currently only have one EAP245. I had to reset the access point and I was able to successfully provision it using the Omada controller. Everything was working great and I have multiple wireless clients that were all working.

Now this morning I launched the Omada controller and the EAP is in a disconnected state. Looking at the logs it looks like it disconnected from the controller about ten minutes after it was finished provisioning and I thought everything was working great. All of the wireless clients are still connected and working perfectly. I tried to access the web interface of the EAP and I got a warning message that it was being managed by the Omada Controller. And then, a little while later, I could no longer access the web interface, it just completly times out. I can't ping the EAP, I can't SSH into it (SSH is enabled), the SSH never connects and just times out. I'm not at home right now to check the port state on the switch but since my wireless clients are still working I'm assuming it would be flickering with activity. Looking at my router's device list the EAP is nowhere in the DHCP list (which I would expect since it has a static IP) so it's not trying to request a DHCP address for itself.

I have a feeling my only option at this point is to reset the EAP again and try to provision it again, maybe something failed along the way. 

Options
2019-10-11 12:52:59 - last edited 2019-10-11 12:56:35

forcedfx wrote

Now this morning I launched the Omada controller and the EAP is in a disconnected state.

If Omada controller was shut down, the EAP will disconnect from the controller. If you launch the controller again, the EAP will return to connected state. To avoid disconnects you need to run the controller 24/7. Note that any hibernation mode (aka sleep mode) of the PC which puts the network interface card at sleep also causes a disconnect.

There is nothing wrong with this, the EAP still works if the controller is disconnected as long as you don't use features the controller implements (e.g. portal page with certain auth mechanisms such as vouchers or RADIUS etc.).

If you don't use features implemented in the controller, the recommended way for config & management of up to two or three EAPs is to use its web UI in standalone mode rather than using the controller. If you choose to use the controller, you should run it 24/7. When adopting an EAP, the web UI becomes disabled (which makes sense from a security point of view). Every AP controller I know of always disables the web UI of the APs once they become managed by a controller. It would be a potential security hole not doing so.

If the EAP indeed disconnects during or after provisioning/configuration phases while the controller still runs and is reachable, the setup of the EAP is screwed up due to a wrong config being set by the controller. Things to look for: typo in IP, wrong netmask, VLAN settings (if enabled).

First check is to ensure connectivity of your PC running the controller. You always can check its online state by pinging the PC from another wired or wireless device in the network. If ping fails, there is a network problem, e.g. a wrong setup.

Options
2019-10-11 13:01:40

@R1D2 Even if I shut off the controller I should still be able to SSH into the EAP or at least ping it no? The PC hosting the controller is definitely online as I can reach it from inside and outside my LAN. Just for giggles I'm giong to power cycle the EAP when I get home. If that doesn't make a difference I'll try a reset and go from there.

Do you happen to know if band steering can be configured through the web interface? That was one of the only reasons I ever needed to use the controller. Now with the latest firmware maybe there are more options exposed VIA the web interface?

Options
2019-10-11 13:52:07 - last edited 2019-10-11 13:54:55

forcedfx wrote

Even if I shut off the controller I should still be able to SSH into the EAP or at least ping it no?

Yes, the EAP should remain online. If SSH is enabled, you can still log in even if the controller doesn't run.

Do you happen to know if band steering can be configured through the web interface?

Sorry, I don't know. I never use the web UI, just managing plenty of EAPs remotely (business). But I guess band steering needs still to be configured in the controller.

For home use with one or two, three EAPs I would deploy two separate SSIDs, one for 2.4 GHz-only devices and one for devices capable of using the 5 GHz band. Band steering will become mostly useful if you have plenty of clients coming and going over the day, not so much for a few mostly stationary devices.

For running a controller to just configure EAPs and then turn off the controller it's o.k. to run it on Windoze, but keep in mind that a PC going to sleep mode also stops the controller temporarily. Thus, for home use with a controller running 24/7 I would recommend an OC200 or at least a RasPi, both running Linux which is the preferred server OS.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13522

Replies: 23

Related Articles