Can you create a SSID via the controller and push to just a single AP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-09-10 14:54:22

I have a situation where I have a mix of 245v1 & 225v3 devices located at common location.  I currently have 2 SSID's shared across all AP's on both the 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies.  However I have a few IoT devices like a wireless printer & Honeywell Thermostats that don't like to roam between AP's.  When they roam, connectivity is killed on the devices as they try to bind to a specific MAC.  What I need to do is create a specific SSID and ONLY add it to a single AP so that there is no roaming.  Is there a way to use the controller solution and ONLY place it on a single AP without it automatically populating on all AP's in the local network?  If not, can we get this as a future feature as many IoT devices are made to be stationary and only bind to a single BSSID/MAC  Cannon & Honeywell are two very good examples of IoT devices designed without the intelegence to roam.  I really don't want to add unmanaged AP's to the area just to allow these devices to function.  It kills my whole security approach by having to introduce a standalone device just to fix the deficiency of the IoT manufacturers.    

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can you create a SSID via the controller and push to just a single AP?
2018-09-10 18:03:03 - last edited 2018-09-10 18:47:13

You can override the ESSID on a per-EAP base in the EAP Configuration menu. However, this overrides the default ESSID set in the WLAN group instead of adding to it.

Maybe, in this case the better way is to add an additional WLAN group with the default ESSID and the IoT ESSID and then assign the EAP to this WLAN group.

As for binding to a specific BSSID: this is called "Lock to AP" on some TP-Link devices and if they lock to the BSSID (which is the MAC of the AP), then they won't roam even if the same ESSID (the WLAN name) is used on other APs. So, if the IoT devices lock to a certain BSSID, they shouldn't become confused by other EAPs with the same ESSID, since every WLAN device always uses both, the ESSID and the BSSID to connect with an AP, although they will just use the BSSID offered by the AP if not set to lock.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Can you create a SSID via the controller and push to just a single AP?
2018-09-10 18:56:08

The issue is the device itself has no lock mechanism in the config.  It just reviews the SSID info and allows you to add the key.  There is no way to know which BSSID/MAC you have attached to.  

The override function is handy.  Yet as you pointed out, I need to make another SSID that is sent to all AP's and then override the one I want to keep.  I can't hide the SSID, because that hides even the one I did the override on.  We need a function to allow us to build an override on specific AP's and not force all to have the info.  

Options
Re: Can you create a SSID via the controller and push to just a single AP?
2018-09-10 19:10:38 - last edited 2018-09-10 19:15:57

JTF wrote

We need a function to allow us to build an override on specific AP's and not force all to have the info.  

As I wrote: create a new WLAN group IoT with default ESSID and IoT ESSID. Then assign this WLAN group to the EAP(s) in question while the other EAPs are assigned the group with the default SSID only:

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Can you create a SSID via the controller and push to just a single AP?
2018-09-15 14:05:57
1. WLAN group (AP group) 2. SSID overwrite (in AP's individual menu)
Options