How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-10-30 22:43:10 - last edited 2018-12-24 09:32:36

Hi,

Perhaps an unusual question but how uni-directional or omni-directional are the EAP 245 WiFi access points? That is, how much is their broadcast range affected by their orientation? The reason why I'm asking is that I am installing a bunch of these in a former church converted to convention and wedding hall, and I was told I can't mount any of the WAP's on the walls because that will destroy the aesthetics (they want it to look 19th century but they also want 21st century WiFi access). I can lay them flat along a duct that runs the length of the hall on each side, tucked out of site. They would be oriented upwards and horizontal (as opposed to downwards for ceiling mounting). The other location I'm allowed to hide it is on a wall near the front that would not be visible in any wedding photography. This small section of wall is almost in the corner, and would mean the unit would be 4 feet from the front corner, but facing away from the direction it needs to broadcast to.

If these units are omni-directional (i.e. signal is equally strong everywhere), this is not an issue, but if it's concentrated in one orientation or another, this could mean that I have good placement but a weak signal.

Thanks in advance

-Hugh

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?-Solution
2018-10-31 06:10:23 - last edited 2018-12-24 09:32:36

The recommended coverage radius of EAP245 is about 15m, and the signal emission direction of indoor EAP serial product just like following picture (the best signal direction is in front of the front panel of EAP245) :

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?-Solution
2018-10-31 06:10:23 - last edited 2018-12-24 09:32:36

The recommended coverage radius of EAP245 is about 15m, and the signal emission direction of indoor EAP serial product just like following picture (the best signal direction is in front of the front panel of EAP245) :

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-02 03:31:13

Your post said it was an omnidirectional antenna, but you also said best signal is directly in front of the unit. So at 180 deg, there's no signal? I'm asking because the only places I'm being allowed to place any WAP's is 5 ft up on a ledge that runs the length of the church, and I have to lay them flat so that no one sees them. 

-Hugh

Options
Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-02 08:09:50

The best signal is directly in front of the EAP245, the signal is much weak at 180 degree.

Maybe you can consider the outdoor EAP product, such as EAP225-Outdoor. The coverage degree of outdoor product is 360°, and the recommended coverage radius of EAP225-Outdoor is about 100 meter. You can refer to https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-5693_EAP225-Outdoor.html

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-03 15:28:59

We did find a place in the church ceiling where we can hide WAP's. However the ceiling is 40 ft high (this is an old church) or ~=12 metres.  Do any of your products work as a ceiling mounted WAP where the distance is ~12 or so?

Thanks

-Hugh

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-06 08:09:56

The recommended coverage radius of celling EAP products are about 15m. I think the celling (12m) is much high for celling EAP product, it may cause weak signal to wireless clietns.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-07 00:31:58
Would one of the outdoor AP's - the ones that are omni-directional - work in this scenario? That is, I mount a 110 outdoor (or the faster EAP 225 Outdoor) to a frame and lay it horizontal in the ceiling opening that I have behind the grating? I'm fixated on this as a solution because it keeps the AP's hidden from view (brides make a big deal about seeing gear on the wall) but the ceiling vents are right at the centre of the room. Every other place I can think of to put a ceiling or wall unit has already been vetoed. -Hugh
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-08 08:15:21

You can try to use EAP225-Outdoor. The antenna of EAP225-Outdoor can be rotated, it will help you adjust the best signal coverage area. (Try to point the antenna of EAP225-Outdoor to the place which you want to cover the WI-FI, it will help you get best signal strength)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2018-11-08 12:49:26

Thanks Jonas, 

I'll certainly give that a try.  I still have to climb up into the ceiling rafters to see what all we are dealing with :)

-Hugh

Options
Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2019-08-31 20:26:43

To sum this all up, we ended up going with the EAP 225 outdoor antennas, and I mounted 1 in each corner of the church to guarantee ubiquitous coverage, and to ensure that if we have 200 people all checking their facebook at the same time, we can handle it.  There were enough other bits and bobs on the walls in the corner to make the antennas nearly invisible (white on a powder blue wall), and only the most persnickety would notice them.  The 40 ft high ceiling made ceiling mounting unrealistic plus the access up there was precarious at best.

I will say that the signal on the outdoor antennas is powerful. My cell phone ends up picking up the WiFi when I'm outside across the street from the building where I installed them.

-Hugh

Options
Re:How uni or omni directional are the EAP 245's?
2020-03-23 10:21:50

@jonas Hi and thanks for sharing this very useful information.
Unfortunately it seems like in my situation, I need more than 74 degrees. The ceiling is just 2.10m, and the room is quite wide.
1/ Is the 74 degrees number empirically tested / certified? it would make a big difference if this was for example 80..

2/ Is there a way to change the directional properties of the antenni ? (replacing them? bending them? placing something in front / behind the AP?)

3/ General question - do you know by any chance how much of a disturbance would Plaster and Concrete walls pose? (I may be able to gain more height)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10466

Replies: 18