Setting SSID on some AP's but not all

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-07 22:59:06

OK, let me explain.

I have an OCC 200 controller. It seems to allow me to set SSID's for my entire cluster. What if I want to set one of those SSID's for just one floor of my building?

Here's the scenario: Ground floor has a coffee shop and we want a WAP that goes through a portal and times patrons out after, say, 1/2 an hour. Now upstairs is conference space. We want those users to login with a password but stay connected all day (or week). That would be 2 separate SSID's. Except I don't want the coffee shop SSID available upstairs.

Can I configure my array of AP's that way using the OCC, or am I restricted to only managing SSID's that are in common to all of the units?  There may be an answer in the user guide but so far I haven't found it.

-Hugh

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting SSID on some AP's but not all
2018-11-08 07:32:07

You can use the WLAN Group function to meet your demand.

1. Add different WLAN Group at Wireless Settins->Basic Wireless Settngs->WLAN Group. And set different SSID in each WLAN Group.

For example:

1) Set "coffee shop"  WLAN Group, and add a "coffee shop" SSID, bind with a portal function.

2) Set "conference space" WLAN Group, and add a "conference space" SSID, with WPA-PSK security mode.

2. Click the AP name in AP list, choose configuration->WLAN and add the EAP in corresponding WLAN Group. Then EAP in different WLAN Group will broadcast different SSID with different authentication method.

Options
Re:Re:Setting SSID on some AP's but not all
2018-11-08 12:48:18

Thanks for that!

I assume then, that EAP's in this scenario can belong to one, the other, or both VLAN groups?

-Hugh

Options
Re:Re:Setting SSID on some AP's but not all
2018-11-11 19:12:18

Thanks for this.  one quick question: When would you add a separate site vs use the same site and different WLAN? Alternatively, if you have different WLAN's when would you want them on the same site vs a different site?  In my scenario, I have two floors where the EAP's don't penetrate much between floors.

-Hugh

Options
Re:Re:Re:Setting SSID on some AP's but not all
2018-11-12 06:15:44
Multi-site is usually for a huge Wi-Fi network where the EAPs are installed in different sites (like different buildings). The IT can manage and monitor the whole network conveniently via multi-site feature. WLAN group is just for one site but apply different SSIDs to different EAPs. So, definitely, WLAN group is right for you.
TP-Link Employee
Options