Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-24 05:04:06 - last edited 2018-12-24 05:54:34

Hi Community!

I have a difficult problem with wireless signal stability. I use two CPE220 in simple Acces Point with Client mode to transmit signal from two IP cameras to NVR.  

The connection between IP cameras and NVR absolutely unstable. Each camera loses connection simultaneously and unpredictable. Here I drow the network diagram and there are images from NVR playback log. What I already tried - all possible variations to TURN ON/OFF MaxStream, WMM, QoS, Short GI, changed distance 0-1 km, reset. Nothing helps. When I connect a laptop directly to Dlink switch LAN and disconnect cameras cables - I can get immediate access to Pharos AP 192.168.7.100 menu for any settings. Everything in Pharos menu works super fast as by direct connection. I used the internal speed test tool between the Access Point and Client and got stable 50-70Mbs. But when I connect back two IP cameras to switch the access to Pharos AP 192.168.7.100 menu become absolutely unstable with 1-2 minutes delays to upload login and menu pages, shows script errors or impossible to access at all like Page Not found. Pharos Client 192.168.7.102 menu immediate accessible, works fine and fast in both variants. But when finally in 2-3 minutes I get the access to Pharos AP 192.168.7.100 menu I see that max 2-3 Mbs load for WLAN when two IP cameras stream online. The same from NVR network diagnostic - not more than 2-5 Mbs load on LAN port.  Seems to me something is wrong in the firmware of CPE220.

What can you recommend to test, check or change? 

Thank you.

Black holes - when the data signal was lost from IP cameras. There are no patterns or depends between two cameras signal loses. Power is stable everywhere.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-25 09:48:04
hey dude, what is the approximate bandwidth consumed by your IP cameras? Maybe your cameras consumed too much bandwidth and caused this kind of issue. By the way, maybe you can try the Spectrum Analysis to find a better channel to test it.
Options
Re:Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-26 03:42:56

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. 

1. Of course, I checked the bandwidth as the first element! Internal CPE220 Speed Test tool shows stable 60-80 Mbps between AP and Client. Bandwidth from the camera with H.265+ codec in calm not more 1 Mbps, in dynamic picture 3-4 Mbps. 4 Cams dynamic online by DDWRT statistic from LAN port direct connection from the switch with cameras or from AP connection shows the same maximum 15-16 Mbps heavy bandwidth load. So this is not a bandwidth issue. 

2. I tested the access availability to the Pharos menu - and when the one camera connected it is not loaded or loaded with 2-3 min delays. 

3. I created a demo copy of the local infrastructure with two other CPE220 units and other same 4 cameras, used brand new Cat6 factory made cables and got the same bugs, but with Client CPE220. I switch settings between AP and Client and the problem moved with the same CPE220 device. 

4. I downgrade both CPE220 firmware from 2.1.14 to 2.1.11 and problem disappear in the local demo. No delays with Pharos menu access at full load, no issues with traffic. Tomorrow will do the same at the site installed CPEs to test and check the difference. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-27 03:54:51 - last edited 2018-12-27 03:55:36

There's no mention of the Tx power you set your devices at. Given that the link is **only** 100m away you should be getting full 100mbps speeds via the internal testing procedure. Make sure you bring the Tx power down to low levels (even 0db) and report back. It's a case that R1D2 and the wireless community in general have made this abundantly clear over and over again - imagine shouting to one's ear when he's right next to you ;) 

Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-27 23:38:41

Thanks for the idea and info. Will try make changes with TX and reply.

Options
Re: Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-28 00:44:29 - last edited 2018-12-28 00:47:15

XaleX wrote

Thanks for the idea and info. Will try make changes with TX and reply.

Also set 802.11n-only mode, WMM/QoS enabled, fixed channel to speed up syncing, channel bandwidth 20MHz and distance to Auto (or if there is no Auto checkbox, set to 0.1km). Align the antennas (front side of CPE) exactly to each other.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-29 23:41:06 - last edited 2018-12-29 23:43:40

So the final solution: 

TP-Link CPE220 v3 has real bugs in the firmware.

With the firmware 2.1.14 

All possible settings, changes in power TX, auto/ manual 0.1 distance, QoS, WMM on/off, fixed channel, fixed n-mode, fixed bandwidth, a brand manufactured cables changes, laser point alignments, fine-tuning, voodoo magic and a black cat did not help. 

One camera works with 83-87% packet loss, ping time average to AP 2050 ms.

Two cameras work with 45-67% packet loss, ping time average to AP 2900 ms.

With the firmware 2.1.11 

All the same possible settings tested: changes in power TX, auto/ manual 0.1 distance, QoS, WMM on/off, fixed channel, fixed n-mode, fixed bandwidth, a brand manufactured cables changes, laser point alignments, fine-tuning, voodoo magic and a black cat did not help. 

One camera works with 81-93% packet loss, ping time average to AP 2380 ms.

Two cameras work with 67-72% packet loss, ping time average to AP 3150 ms.

In addition, the firmware 2.1.11 has official known bugs:  (https://www.tp-link.com/ca/download/CPE220.html#Firmware)

Modifications and Bug Fixes:
1. Fixed the problem that the device may be reset to factory defaults due to unstable power.
2. Improved web UI display.
3. Fixed the problem that Transmit Power could be set as improper value.
4. Fixed the problem that when the wireless interference is serious, the client may be not connected to the AP when the WPA/WPA2 encryption mode is enabled.
5. Fixed the problem that the "Failed to get data" information may be wrongly displayed.

So, I can't install 2.1.11 with known bugs and 2.1.14 doesn't work stable. 

Pros: nothing. 

Cons: lost 3 work days of the project time playing with TPLink FW headache, lost time and money to return and refund. 

Do not recommend and will never buy again.  

Solution: used another equipment. 

Options
Re:Re:Re: Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2018-12-30 09:31:35 - last edited 2018-12-30 09:33:53

XaleX wrote

All possible settings, changes in power TX, auto/ manual 0.1 distance, QoS, WMM on/off, fixed channel, fixed n-mode, fixed bandwidth, a brand manufactured cables changes, laser point alignments, fine-tuning, voodoo magic and a black cat did not help. 

Ah, that's it. Take the black cat out of the directional link, it causes interferences in the frequency band. 

Seriously, post a WiFi survey and a spectrum analysis (use the CPE's Tools menu) and we can judge whether it was a wise decision to use the 2.4 GHz frequency band for a directional link and whether you can expect similar results with other equipment, too.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re: Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2019-01-01 02:25:16

Sorry, but can't post survey, because already returned APs. I'm sure that there is not the frequency problem, I make two network structure copies in two different places at client's site and in the office. Both results are the same. 

R1D2 wrote

XaleX wrote

Ah, that's it. Take the black cat out of the directional link, it causes interferences in the frequency band. 

Seriously, post a WiFi survey and a spectrum analysis (use the CPE's Tools menu) and we can judge whether it was a wise decision to use the 2.4 GHz frequency band for a directional link and whether you can expect similar results with other equipment, too.

Options
Re:Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2019-01-13 04:13:25

Jameslite wrote

what is the approximate bandwidth consumed by your IP cameras?
liteblue USPS Tracking USPS Liteblue

I use 265+ codec - in static mode near 1Mb/s,  4 cams with active pictures - 16-20 Mb/s. The same data at dirict cable connection to the router and NVR and through the other brand APs. 

Options
Re:Need help with CPE220 - not stable connection for IP cameras in AP-Client mode
2019-01-22 20:29:59

The best firmware version is 2.1.13... try this!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6003

Replies: 10