Can manage EAP225 via wireless but not via wired connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-28 03:23:34 - last edited 2018-12-28 08:34:21

I have a new EAP225 and mostly it's working fine. I set it up with the same SSIDs as my router, set up a guest SSID, etc. Everything works.

The IP address of the AP is set to a static IP on the same subnet as my router but outside the router's DHCP range. I can go on my laptop (wireless) and manage the EAP225 easily by just putting that IP into the browser and logging in. However, on my desktop -- which has a wired connection to the same network -- I can't log in to the AP. I go to the same IP in the same browser and I get the EAP225 login page, but when I enter the (same) user name and password it just reloads the login page, no error or anything.

Has anyone else seen this? Should I be able to manage the AP through a wired connection that goes through the network and not direct to the AP?

Thanks,

Tom

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can manage EAP225 via wireless but not via wired connection
2018-12-28 12:23:33

When you use your laptop (wireless) and manage the EAP225 successfully, because you connect to the SSID of the EAP. When the laptop has a wired connection, it connects to the router, so you can't login to the management page of the EAP225. May be you can try to set the IP of the EAP225 and make it inside the router's DHCP range to have a check.

Options
Re: Can manage EAP225 via wireless but not via wired connection
2018-12-28 14:13:48 - last edited 2018-12-28 14:15:24

trawson wrote

Should I be able to manage the AP through a wired connection that goes through the network and not direct to the AP?

This works, yes. I do this all the time. It even works with static IPs not only outside the DHCP pool, but outside the network's subnet if (and only if) you use static IPs for the EAP and for the computer/laptop.

Example: My network's subnet IP is 192.168.1.0/24. The EAP is set to fixed IP 192.168.0.254, my laptop connected to the switch is usually in the 192.168.1.0 subnet, but if I set it to static IP 192.168.0.10 I can successfully connect to the EAP.

Other things to watch out for: some Windows versions seem to not obey changes from dynamic to static IPs unless the system is rebooted. Consider use of Linux or MacOS (a UNIX system, too); Microsoft(ware) is crap. Also make sure your browser accepts session cookies.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Can manage EAP225 via wireless but not via wired connection
2019-01-01 04:10:27

Thanks. Interesting ... the wired (desktop) machine does have a fixed IP but it is assigned by the router based on MAC address, from Windows' viewpoint it is not fixed. But how would the EAP know or care about that??

Tom

Options
Re: Can manage EAP225 via wireless but not via wired connection
2019-01-01 13:55:48 - last edited 2019-01-01 14:11:25

trawson wrote

Thanks. Interesting ... the wired (desktop) machine does have a fixed IP but it is assigned by the router based on MAC address, from Windows' viewpoint it is not fixed. But how would the EAP know or care about that??

It learns this through the ARP (address resolution protocol).

Check wether the wired machine keeps it fixed IP and MAC addresses over the time (i.e. make sure that MAC randomization isn't enabled on your wired device, a technique becoming more and more popular) or whether it falls back to a dynamic IP assigned by DHCP because it probably changes its MAC address regularily due to MAC randomization.

The easiest - and traditional - way of setting a fixed IP address independent of the device's MAC address is to set it up as a true static IP on the device itself. That's what I do even on my laptop by using two different network profiles: one for use when I'm in my office (static IP) and one for use when travelling (dynamic IP assignment by DHCP). Those different profles can be selected very easily on my MacBook.

I even have a third network profile named »TP-Link management« assigning an IP out of the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet to the laptop for initial setup of all kind of TP-Link devices. To use this profile, I connect my laptop to the TP-Link device directly (i.e. not via the network), but after setting up a fixed IP to the TP-Link device once, I can connect to it through the regular network, too.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1069

Replies: 4