EAP225 Wireless Access Point and Omada Cloud Controller OC200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-11 11:31:10

Hi Forum Users

I am currently looking for a suitable Wi-Fi system for a small business to provide Wi-Fi for staff and guests in an open space office. This Office will be a remote office and therefore I (IT) would need remote access to the systems to monitor and manage.

I came across the EAP225 Wireless Access Point, which seems to tick all boxes when used with the Centralized Controller Software. However, I had some questions that will help me make my decision.

Remote Access for monitoring and management:

I have read through the user guide for the EAP225 and from what I can understand It will require on site configuration via a PC using the Centralized Controller Software. For remote access and monitoring will I require the Omada Cloud Controller OC200 as well?

Ongoing Operation of the EAP225:

Once the EAP225 is configured and up and running will it require a PC with the Centralized Controller Software running at all times for it to continue functioning? Or will the EAP225 continue to run and provide Wi-Fi access if someone decides to switch off the PC running the Centralized Controller Software? 

If the EAP225 does continue to work if the PC is witched off, Will I lose remote access to the EAP225?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thanks 

Moh

Options
1 Reply
Re: EAP225 Wireless Access Point and Omada Cloud Controller OC200
2019-01-13 15:14:25 - last edited 2019-01-13 15:24:11

Mohfro wrote

Remote Access for monitoring and management:

I have read through the user guide for the EAP225 and from what I can understand It will require on site configuration via a PC using the Centralized Controller Software. For remote access and monitoring will I require the Omada Cloud Controller OC200 as well?

You need a system running Omada Controller to be able to remotely manage and monitor the EAP. Whether it is running on a public Internet server or a local PC or an OC200 does matter only insofar as an Internet server and a (locally deployed) OC200 usually is considered to run continuously while a PC might be shut down during non-work hours.

Any device running a Controller will allow remote access through a cloud account once the Controller has been connected to such an account, although you won't necessarily need a cloud account at all to connect to a public Internet server running the Controller. Note that »cloud remote access« means that the Controller can be reached remotely through a tunnel established between the server in the cloud and a local system – either a PC or an OC200 – running the Controller, while running the Controller on an Internet host allows you to deploy the Controller in the cloud directly (e.g. running it on an AWS micro instance).

As for the management of an EAP you could also use port forwarding on your local router or a VPN to directly access the EAP's built-in web UI remotely, but if you want to monitor usage of the EAP and/or use functions not available in the built-in web UI you will need a Controller running somewhere.

Once the EAP225 is configured and up and running will it require a PC with the Centralized Controller Software running at all times for it to continue functioning? Or will the EAP225 continue to run and provide Wi-Fi access if someone decides to switch off the PC running the Centralized Controller Software? 

If the EAP225 does continue to work if the PC is witched off, Will I lose remote access to the EAP225?

An EAP continues to run and still provides WiFi, but it will not provide certain functionality requiring the Controller. See this FAQ for the functionality requiring the Controller to be on-line. Of course, you also can't manage/monitor the EAP while the Controller isn't running.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1997

Replies: 1