Tagged VLAN Issues (update: solved)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-17 00:04:32 - last edited 2019-02-18 16:25:38
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.0

Hey all, I am having trouble with tagged traffic going out three EAP245 APs.  I have left two unplugged for troubleshooting purposes so we'll just say its one for now.  Trunked back to a PoE port on a TL-SG1016PE with three VLANs tagged and in addition management is tagged as well.  Essentially trunked across the board (which I like compared to other managed APs that cannot tag management).  I was tearing my hair out all week trying to figure out why I could not ping the gateway and must have checked config on the router, switch and Omada twenty times.  My phone receives DHCP through the tagged VLANs but my laptop does not and actually has trouble even connecting.  I have finally concluded that there is an issue with the tagged traffic and EAP245 because when I set an untagged port into the three VLANs (one per port) and a wired connection, there is zero trouble communicating with the gateway, DNS, internet, and (for now until implementing firewall rules), other VLANs.  Along with this, I deleted all SSIDs and created one that is untagged on one VLAN (with Switchport untagged and PVID to match) and it works that way as well. Finally, tagged VLANs have no trouble passing to a second managed switch.  There are not any controls in Omadas interface for say messing with ingress/egress so I am wondering if anyone has run into this before. I really want to stick with the EAP245.  Any ideas?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Tagged VLAN Issues
2019-02-18 07:20:02

My phone receives DHCP through the tagged VLANs but my laptop does not and actually has trouble even connecting.

Do phone and laptop connect to same SSID of EAP245v1,and the phone can get the IP address, while the laptop can not? Do only some special devices have this problem?

I have finally concluded that there is an issue with the tagged traffic and EAP245 because when I set an untagged port into the three VLANs (one per port) and a wired connection, there is zero trouble communicating with the gateway, DNS, internet, and (for now until implementing firewall rules), other VLANs.  Along with this, I deleted all SSIDs and created one that is untagged on one VLAN (with Switchport untagged and PVID to match) and it works that way as well. Finally, tagged VLANs have no trouble passing to a second managed switch. 

If we enable VLAN setting in EAP, then the output packets from the LAN port of EAP will be tagged corresponding VLAN tag. (The DHCP discover packets from wireless clients will be tagged with corresponding VLAN tag) If the DHCP Server deliver the IP address according to the different VLAN Tag, then wireless clients which connected with VLAN SSID will only get the IP address of this VLAN. What's the model of your Router? if it does not support multi-VLAN interface, then it may cause this problem.

Options
Re:Re:Tagged VLAN Issues
2019-02-18 12:08:00

jonas wrote

My phone receives DHCP through the tagged VLANs but my laptop does not and actually has trouble even connecting.

Do phone and laptop connect to same SSID of EAP245v1,and the phone can get the IP address, while the laptop can not? Do only some special devices have this problem?

Yes!  There are (or rather were) three SSIDs on separate VLANs all showing the same issue.  I have only tested with my phone and laptop so far but they do not show similar problems with other networks.

If we enable VLAN setting in EAP, then the output packets from the LAN port of EAP will be tagged corresponding VLAN tag. (The DHCP discover packets from wireless clients will be tagged with corresponding VLAN tag) If the DHCP Server deliver the IP address according to the different VLAN Tag, then wireless clients which connected with VLAN SSID will only get the IP address of this VLAN. What's the model of your Router? if it does not support multi-VLAN interface, then it may cause this problem.

It is a Mikrotik RB3011, Routerboard v6.43.  It looks to be configured for VLAN interfaces and they function from both switches with my laptop and a test desktop through Ethernet on both switches, able to pick up the correct DHCP and communicate with local (laptop to desktop, desktop to laptop) and internet addresses.  

Thank you for your reply!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Tagged VLAN Issues
2019-02-18 16:25:20

Hold the phone!  Deleting and recreating the SSIDs tagged exactly how I had it now has all SSIDs working!  I can't believe it!  The breakthrough I was hoping for :)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Tagged VLAN Issues
2019-02-19 02:22:21

TheUpsideDown wrote

Hold the phone!  Deleting and recreating the SSIDs tagged exactly how I had it now has all SSIDs working!  I can't believe it!  The breakthrough I was hoping for :)

Hi,

Nice to hear that you have solved the problem, it may because there had some configuration errors of EAP before. You have refreshed the configuration of EAP as as you re-create the SSID.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1525

Replies: 4

Related Articles