EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-21 08:45:06
Model: AP200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.40

Hi TP,

I have several small suggestions in order to improve the standard WEB admistrational inferface for the EAP225 V3 (or others) from a customer/user perspective for a single EAP confirguration (1-3 APs):

a) include the "Reboot Schedule" back into the Management/System section (this is REALLY important)

b) include "SSID isolation" option back into "Wireless settings/ Configure SSIDs"

c) segregate "Backup/Restore" button physically, means, currently the 2 buttons are pretty close to each other an both start with "RE....". So they can be easily mixed up ! I also suggest to implement a confirmation dialogue like "Do you really want to ... ?" followed by a "Cancel" and "Continue" button.

I don't want to install the Omada Controller software because I don't need the full monitoring functionality and remote administration. This would be definitely over-engineered...

Thank you.

Cheers, Manfred

EAP225 V3 customer
Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 10:21:54

Dear Manfred,

Thank you for your suggestions.

These suggestions are being registered in our system and will be evaluated by the product managers.

TP-Link Support Team Germany

Manfred wrote

Hi TP,

I have several small suggestions in order to improve the standard WEB admistrational inferface for the EAP225 V3 (or others) from a customer/user perspective for a single EAP confirguration (1-3 APs):

a) include the "Reboot Schedule" back into the Management/System section (this is REALLY important)

b) include "SSID isolation" option back into "Wireless settings/ Configure SSIDs"

c) segregate "Backup/Restore" button physically, means, currently the 2 buttons are pretty close to each other an both start with "RE....". So they can be easily mixed up ! I also suggest to implement a confirmation dialogue like "Do you really want to ... ?" followed by a "Cancel" and "Continue" button.

I don't want to install the Omada Controller software because I don't need the full monitoring functionality and remote administration. This would be definitely over-engineered...

Thank you.

Cheers, Manfred

Options
Re:Re: EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 11:28:08 - last edited 2019-02-21 11:34:16

Hello @Manfred, hello @Genius8088,

while adding »Reboot Schedule« and »SSID Isolation« are very useful enhancements of the web UI, I strongly vote against Windows-style confirmation dialogues. There are already too many of those annoying dialogues, not only in the web UI of EAPs, but also in Omada Controller.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re: EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 17:50:19 - last edited 2019-02-21 17:51:05

Hey R1D2, I share your objection about dialogues but in this particular case you probably agree that the 2 buttons "REboot" and "REset" in the UI are VERY close to each other. If you want to reboot and move your mouse 5 mm below by accident then Factory reset is in progress. At least both buttons should be positioned away from each other, maybe in a two column table (left side reboot, right-hand side reset). Such a solution would be fine for me, too. Cheers, Manfred

EAP225 V3 customer
Options
Re:Re:EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 18:18:59
I just noticed that for point c) there is already a confirmation dialogue in the UI. Good.
EAP225 V3 customer
Options
Re: EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 18:31:39 - last edited 2019-02-21 22:03:43

Manfred wrote

Hey R1D2, I share your objection about dialogues but in this particular case you probably agree that the 2 buttons "REboot" and "REset" in the UI are VERY close to each other.

Absolutely! Both buttons should be separated with greater distance between them.

As for the annoyance of confirmation dialogues take deleting alerts in Omada controller as an example: one needs to click on "Archive all", then click on "Archived Alerts", then click "Delete all" in the archive and then confirm the delete. Four clicks (and throw over my coffee cup) to just delete entries is really annoying.

Options
Re:Re: EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-21 23:17:30

R1D2 wrote

Manfred wrote

Hey R1D2, I share your objection about dialogues but in this particular case you probably agree that the 2 buttons "REboot" and "REset" in the UI are VERY close to each other.

Absolutely! Both buttons should be separated with greater distance between them.

As for the annoyance of confirmation dialogues take deleting alerts in Omada controller as an example: one needs to click on "Archive all", then click on "Archived Alerts", then click "Delete all" in the archive and then confirm the delete. Four clicks (and throw over my coffee cup) to just delete entries is really annoying.

I agree with R1D2, the actual procedure with the archives is not friendly admin management and we need to go there periodically to make free the ram from the controler.It is really boring.

I suggest an option to keep archives with a choice of period and a auto-delete with newest replace older. ex. keep max archives 7 days- 1months-3months.

Options
Re: EAP225 V3 FW improvement suggestions
2019-02-22 01:32:33 - last edited 2019-02-22 01:44:12

Pascal wrote

I agree with R1D2, the actual procedure with the archives is not friendly admin management and we need to go there periodically to make free the ram from the controler.It is really boring.

I suggest an option to keep archives with a choice of period and a auto-delete with newest replace older. ex. keep max archives 7 days- 1months-3months.

That's a good idea. OTOH, sending logs to the syslog server running on every Linux system would 1) help to keep RAM requirements for OC low, 2) eliminate the need to delete anything in the OC database and 3) allow log levels to be defined (an enhancement already announced by @jonas for v3.1.x here), thus 4) avoid having to re-invent the wheel again in OC (well, probably not so on Windows platforms).

At least please consider a setting for sending logs to a remote syslog server for us poor people condemned to have to use Linux, hehe. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1217

Replies: 7