Does Automatic Roaming work, without dropout?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-28 01:22:43 - last edited 2019-03-28 06:25:20

I need a system where the client can move between AP's without loosing connection.  I need to setup wireless coverage for a large restaurant Point of Sale (POS).  The wait staff will use portable devices (tablets) to enter orders and take payments etc.  Their wireless connection to the server must be consistent.  If it drops out even momentarily as they are constantly moving around, the POS software can get a glitch and the entire system (the server and all of the POS stations, even the hard wired ones) can stop functioning correctly.

I use EAP225's for other customers, and they seem to work well for cell phones staying connected between AP's (all with same SSID and password).  But I cannot test for whether there is a momentary dropout.  I wouldn't want to have this restaurant customer buy several EAP's only to find they do not adequately maintain connectivity.

I am thinking of using EAP245's.  Your Knowledge Base article on Restaurant & Cafe indicates EAP220 or EAP330 but neither my Reseller Partners (e.g., Dell) nor Amazon have those models available.

Thank you

Options
4 Reply
Re:Does Automatic Roaming work, without dropout?
2019-03-28 07:01:04

Hi PeterPC,

From your description, we recommend you to use EAP225v3 or EAP245v3, both these models have the fast roaming function, which can keep your client devices being connected all the time when they are roaming. However, EAP220 and EAP330 don't support fast roaming.

By the way, please upgrade the firmware to the corresponding version, that the fast roaming will take effect. And please use Omada Controller/OC200 to manage the EAPs, because fast roaming will not take effect in standalone mode.

Options
Re:Re:Does Automatic Roaming work, without dropout?
2019-03-28 16:05:34

Thank you for the excellent information.

Is there a source for more information on the Fast Roaming feature?

For instance, does it work better to be on 2.4 or 5 GHz? 

Thank you!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Does Automatic Roaming work, without dropout?
2019-03-29 01:22:00

Hi PeterPC,

Fast Roaming works both on 2.4G and 5GHz. For more information, you can refer to the following faq: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2097/

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Does Automatic Roaming work, without dropout?
2019-03-29 16:21:08

Perfect:  I'd say that faq is "must reading" for anyone interested in fast roaming.  I don't know a single one of my customers who wouldn't say "I want that!"

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1189

Replies: 4