Communicating between VLANS

2019-04-11 08:09:59
Model: TL-SG1016PE
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a NVR which I can access on my LAN, I would like some IP cameras isolated on a VLAN to access the NVR using an 802.1Q managed switch only.

I want the cameras to connect to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? I am thinking of having separate VLANS on a single /24, is this possible (does this make sense)? I don't quite understand how (if) I can get this to work without the simple method of traffic being routed between different subnets for different VLANS

Options
7 Replies
Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-04-12 01:32:36

userMango wrote

I have a NVR which I can access on my LAN, I would like some IP cameras isolated on a VLAN to access the NVR using an 802.1Q managed switch only.

I want the cameras to connect to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? I am thinking of having separate VLANS on a single /24, is this possible (does this make sense)? I don't quite understand how (if) I can get this to work without the simple method of traffic being routed between different subnets for different VLANS

Hi Mango

The 802.1Q VLAN can help you isolate your IP cameras and NVR. If you want IP camera can connect to NVR, you switch need to support inter-VLAN routing. 

If you set all devices in a single /24 subnet, they still cannot access each other because the devices transmit data based on layer 2 network and VLAN have isolated them.

If the switch support inter-VLAN routing, the different devices can access each other based on layer3 network. The data will not be isolated by VLAN. 

Options
2019-04-16 05:32:41

Can anyone help me out in connecting the cameras to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? - Even for some of my websites like Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, these VLANS communication is a problem in connecting with cameras for a screenshot.

https://carpetcleaning.com.au/melbourne/
Options
Re:Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-04-16 12:18:57

Stuart_Napier wrote

Can anyone help me out in connecting the cameras to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? - Even for some of my websites like Carpet Cleaning Melbourne, these VLANS communication is a problem in connecting with cameras for a screenshot.

Hi Stuart_Napier

If you can tell more detail about your issue, maybe more prople can help you. If your camera cannot connect to NVR in your local network, you should check the VLAN configuration and your devices' IP address. Make sure they are in the same VLAN. If they are in the different VLAN and subnet, you need switch support VLAN routing.

Options
2019-04-18 02:03:56

I have created a new thread here, as I am wondering specifically about connecting between LANs on a managed switch

Options
2019-05-16 06:40:39

Can anyone help me out in connecting the cameras to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? - Even for some of my websites like Finger Food Catering Melbourne, these VLANS communication is a problem in connecting with cameras for a screenshot.

Options
Re:Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-05-16 07:47:40

iqcatering12 wrote

Can anyone help me out in connecting the cameras to the NVR without wasting router resources, can I do this through a switch with 802.1Q? - Even for some of my websites like Finger Food Catering Melbourne, these VLANS communication is a problem in connecting with cameras for a screenshot.

Hi

You can put the NVR and cameras to the individual VLAN. Then the multicast data and broadcast data will not flood to other VLANs. If you still need the NVR and camera can access the internet, you may need the inter-VLAN routing to make the NVR and camera can access the gatewat and access the internet.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Communicating between VLANS
2019-05-23 17:02:25

Andone wrote

iqcatering12 wrote

Hi

You can put the NVR and cameras to the individual VLAN. Then the multicast data and broadcast data will not flood to other VLANs. If you still need the NVR and camera can access the internet, you may need the inter-VLAN routing to make the NVR and camera can access the gatewat and access the internet.

Hey Andone,

It's cool that you are trying to be helpful here, but I am almost completly certain that this person is just a spammer.  Look at their two identitcal posts on this thread with different usernames and advertizing links.  Looks terribly suspicious to me...

Options