potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-13 05:41:34
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.4.0 Build 20181121 Rel. 55897

I have a EAP225v3 with potential broken 2.4Ghz radio (I have total 4 EAP225v3, with only 1 enabled 2.4/5GHz radio, I haven't verified this on the other 3 yet)

topology is simple

pfSense(router with vlan) <-> tp-link T1500G-10MPS switch(vlan + POE) <-> EAP225v3 <-> HP printer (just moved my printer off from my Google onhub to EAP, and this is the actually the only device connected to 2.4GHz radio)

what I discovered is every 2-3 days the printer will disconnect from EAP, and the only option for me is to delete the 2.4GHz SSID (seems will power cycle 2.4GHz radio) and recreate it, then my printer will reconnect.

so I decide to test today, my thinkpad(intel NIC) and my iPad both can "connect" to it, but nothing will work, I can sometime see DHCP assign IP to it and sometime I won't even get an IP, I tried to manually assign IP and ping gateway won't work.

However, my pixel phone is able to connect and have internet working(ping gateway etc works), and I can actually browse the web, but if I do anything putting heavy load on wifi it will disconnect, and reconnect after couple seconds.

I look at Omada controller and it shows my pixel is only getting 1Mbps connection speedcool

The 2.4GHz radio seems to be in some sort of power saving mode or only half working.

But on the other hand, the 5Ghz radio works very smoothly for months without any issue.

Not sure if tp-link can pull EAP information directly from Omada cloud or I can somewhat help you guys look into this locally. Thanks

Options
17 Reply
Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-04-14 16:47:22 - last edited 2019-04-15 00:08:40

Hi Pixielark,

From your description it seems that the 2.4G network works abnormally, in order to help you with your issue, we need to confirm some questions with you, so that we can have a better understanding of your issue. And here are some steps you can have a try.

1. How about the wireless enviroment? You can install the WiFi Anlyzer on your phone and then use the APP to scan the wireless environment, then please choose an unconguested channel for the EAP, which will help reduce the interference.

2. Do you enable Airtime Fairness, Band Steering, Load Balance, Rough AP Detection? If yes, please disable them and then have a try. 

3. When your client devices connect to the 2.4G SSID, how about the distance between the client and the AP? Please get close to the AP  because the signal may not good when the distance is too far away.

Options
Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-04-15 00:05:00

Thanks

right now I am testing the 2.4GHz and it seems to be working normally again.

I will wait couple more days to report back

Options
2019-04-15 00:43:04

On the other hand, my HP printer still refuses to connecto to the AP.

1. this is what my wifi env looks like

no airtime fairness

no band steering

no load balancing

no rougue ap detection

3. I don't think distance should be a factor? I mean i have no problem connect to my google wifi 2.4Ghz (SSID dagon), and SSID test-2.4g has basically identical signal level

Options
2019-04-15 00:47:27

I read someone from the forum saing 2.4Ghz auto 20/40 can cause problem.

I changed mine to 20 only and printer still does not like it.

I guess later I will do some wireshark catpure and send it to you @forrest right now I am clueless, and all I can tell is 2.4Ghz works poorly, my device will get disconnected randomly

Options
2019-04-15 06:38:38 - last edited 2019-04-15 06:39:09

ok, so in the end I think the problem is channel 11 is overcrowded, all of my APs perform poorly while using channel 11, once I switched to channel 1 or 6 they behave normally now.

I will keep on testing for couple more days, thanks @forrest 

Options
2019-04-16 18:05:38

Hello.

I discovered too some issues with the usage of mixed SSID with 2.4GHZ only and SSID with 2.4/5GHZ.

Front of the fact that some of our device are constatly disconnected  or unable to use the mix of 2.4GHZ/5GHZ we decide to create a dedicated SSID with only 2.4GHZ.

Then the issue of loosing internet acces during roaming between AP apaired.

Apparently the Fast Roaming feature is not so friendly for some device that use only 2.4GHZ .

We use bunch of EAP245 V3 and 225 V3 and we choosed these AP for the fast roaming and band steering solutions.

Once the dedicated SSID with only 2.4GHZ was removed, all the devices didn't met again the loosing internet issues.

during the test with the mixed SSID, when a user was front of lost internet access, the only solution was to manualy restart the Wifi of the device

to force a reconnection and the internet went back.

We was then force to use a separate AP not from TP-Link to give a wifi 2.4GHZ to the devices that was in trouble to use TP-LINK 2.4/5GHZ_Fast Roaming_Band Steering.

We hope that TP-Link will find a way to give multiple SSID with separate settings in terms of Fast roaming/band steering/ airtime fairness or

find a way to let an SSID with only 2.4GHZ operate without interference from the other SSID with 2.4/5GHZ.

Cheers,

Options
2019-04-17 08:32:36

Pascal wrote

Hello.

I discovered too some issues with the usage of mixed SSID with 2.4GHZ only and SSID with 2.4/5GHZ.

Front of the fact that some of our device are constatly disconnected  or unable to use the mix of 2.4GHZ/5GHZ we decide to create a dedicated SSID with only 2.4GHZ.

Then the issue of loosing internet acces during roaming between AP apaired.

Apparently the Fast Roaming feature is not so friendly for some device that use only 2.4GHZ .

We use bunch of EAP245 V3 and 225 V3 and we choosed these AP for the fast roaming and band steering solutions.

Once the dedicated SSID with only 2.4GHZ was removed, all the devices didn't met again the loosing internet issues.

during the test with the mixed SSID, when a user was front of lost internet access, the only solution was to manualy restart the Wifi of the device

to force a reconnection and the internet went back.

We was then force to use a separate AP not from TP-Link to give a wifi 2.4GHZ to the devices that was in trouble to use TP-LINK 2.4/5GHZ_Fast Roaming_Band Steering.

We hope that TP-Link will find a way to give multiple SSID with separate settings in terms of Fast roaming/band steering/ airtime fairness or

find a way to let an SSID with only 2.4GHZ operate without interference from the other SSID with 2.4/5GHZ.

Cheers,

Hi Pascal,

We recommend you to use the SSID with 2.4G/5GHz when you are using Fast Roaming. 

For yoru feedback, we will add it to our suggestion list and consult with our PE colleagues about it. Thank you for your feedback.

Options
2019-05-03 12:04:10 - last edited 2019-05-03 12:10:08

Low PHY link rate (1mbps) can caused by two major reasons:

1. Possibly there is a driver compatibility issue from your description.

2. the channel is heavily crowded. (the later-joined device will face low link rate and poor connection)

@Pascal  For your scenario, some suggestions based on the current EAP design.

1. Upgrade to controller V3.1.10 from www.tp-link.com/en. It is coming soon. After upgraded, upgrade all AP firmware as well.

Be noted that in v3.1.x the dual band SSID profiles are merged into one profile.

2. Enable roaming

but don't enable "force reconnection". So the AP will not kick off the client even if the client doesn't follow AP's suggestion to roam.

3. for band steering, make it 15, 5, 1.

4. disable airtime fairness. (some client chipset has compatibility issue)

Options
2019-05-07 15:33:00

@Tobacco 

I'm afrai to upgrade with the latest  controler version (OC200)

Current Version :
1.0.2 Build 20180908 Rel.53217
Latest Version :
1.1.0 Build 20190220 Rel.41433

as I got many EAP330 managed with the same controler managing the EAP225 & 245but into anothers Sites.

I seen TP-Link release already firmware 1.5.0 Build 20190404 Rel. 58086  for EAP225 that clearly present

4. Support the feature of merging 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID with Controller 3.1.4.

I already met in the past a lot of issues with EAP330 and controler, and I want to be sure that they will be for sure be fully

compatible with this merging 2.4GHZ&5GHZ , and wait for that new release for EAP330 before move

anything into my productions environements.

I will try your suggestions #2 & #3 and will come back with the results.

Actually, I had completly removed SSID with only one band

but some device USB key (Netgear WNDA3100) are really in trouble and constantly drop the connection or unable to connect.

In fact the place of this device is just between 2 EAP place.

I don't know if it's possible to force one particular device to only connect to a particular EAP.

Options
Re:Re:Re:potential broken 2.4GHz radio on a EAP225v3
2019-05-10 17:07:59
Tried no force disociation and band steering 15,5,1 still the issues and less users are now with 5GHZ, even iPhone X stay with 2.4GHZ What I realize too, is the frequency update status managed OC200 is really slow. One user was out of the site, and I seen his device stay into client list still after 4minutes of is physical disconnection. Does any one had already face this ? and does someone tried the latest firmware OC200 with EAP330 ???
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6755

Replies: 17