Does second ethernet connection on EAP 245 pass through 48v POE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-09 16:39:36
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Please can anyone tell me if the second ethernet connection on the EAP 245 passes through 48v POE and also if it can act as a hub/switch? The reason for asking is that most ethernet devices like good quality switches, computers printers etc will recognise if there is POE available and not send a handshake if they dont need/handle it. Other "dumb" ethernet devices like some printers, IOT devices and TVs may not recognise the existance of POE and become damaged by the 48v supply. I want to hook up a TV to the second port without having to run another ethernet cable back to the switch.

Many thanks

Fozzie

Options
1 Reply
Re:Re:Does second ethernet connection on EAP 245 pass through 48v POE
2019-05-10 15:48:07

Questionmark wrote

Since nobody has said anything yet, I'll just say I'm 99.9% sure that you aren't going to fry your TV.*

First off, according to the PoE Guide to TP-Link Access Points the EAP245 doesn't actually use passive 48v PoE. It adheres to the 802.11at standard. That shouldn't be able to kill your TV.

Also, I don't think the PoE is passed through, but I can't verify that.

Good luck!

*I'm not responsible if you do!

Many thanks Questionmark I need to read up on the 802.11at standard.

Fozzie

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2309

Replies: 1

Related Articles