Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-13 16:14:03
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have been running community version 2.7.0, but there are some features in 3.1.4 I'd like to use. What is the best way to upgrade and retain my settings DB? Can I just install the deb or do I need to delete somethings first, or...

Thanks for any help.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4
2019-05-14 09:55:56

Hi,

For your question, here is a faq you can see:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2288/

By the way, if you want to use the Controller 3.1.4, please upgrade the firmware of AP to the latest.

Options
Re:Re:Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4
2019-05-14 13:51:24

Thank you for help. My question is specific to upgrading from the community version, I believe created by a user on this form (R1D2). I believe it installs differently than the regular versions and uses a different directory structure and and libraries. I'm curious if there is a different way I should upgrade to the standard version in order to retain my settings and not conflict with the previously installed version.

Options
Re:Re:Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4
2019-05-14 14:37:04

Questionmark wrote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see a release from @R1D2 for the Community Version of 3.1.4.  As far as upgrading goes, I would recommend checking out his post here.  It's a different version, but I think it's still pretty relevent.

Right, I didn't see a 3.1.4 CV either which is why I was inquiring about the difference upgrading to the standard version of 3.1.4. I do know how to upgrade community versions, but I suspect switching back to the standard version is different. I suspect I will just end up blowing away my community edition and restoring a backup config file.

Options
Re:Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4
2019-05-14 16:49:36

Just information for others:

After making sure I was on the latest firmware for my EAPs...

First I tried simply copying the db folder in the CV 2.7.0 to /opt/tplink/eap_db_backup/ and simply installing the .deb. It said it successfully installed, but was unable to start. So I uninstalled the deb (answering yes to the question about backups). It did not actually delete my CV files, it just added another version under the EAPController symlinked directory, so I figured there may be some conflicts. I took the nuclear option and deleted the directory trees under /opt/tplink (leaving eap_db_backup) and reinstalled the .deb. This time it installed successfully and started, but it did not recover my data and settings. I ended up restoring from a manual settings backup and everything appears to be fine on first glance.

Options
Re: Switching from Linux Community Version 2.7.0 to 3.1.4
2019-05-24 15:27:44 - last edited 2019-05-25 11:37:07

Hi,

sorry, saw the thread just today, so it's too late for you, but might be helpful for others.

Only difference between official versions and community version beside getting rid of binaries is the naming scheme used in the CV: It uses top-level directory names with the version number in it like EAPController-2.5.0 or EAPController-2.7.0 and a symlink EAPController (now: OmadaController) pointing to the directory of the currently active version. This way, you can easily switch between different versions at any time, e.g. if you later discover the re-introduced bugs in v3.x regarding the logo on the portal page or if you have any other reason to downgrade.

Except for this difference, anything in the CV (Java code, web layout etc.) is identical to the official version, so just copy over the subdirectories under the data subdir from CV to the official version as written in the post @Questionmark mentioned above (the other way around of copying new data to old versions might not work).

And yes, before switching from CV to official versions just get rid of the symlink. No need to clean the older version(s) until you decide to permanently switch over to a new one and want to save some disk space. In the community version you always could have several different versions (2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0) installed at the same time.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options