Upper 5GHz channels on EAP-245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Upper 5GHz channels on EAP-245

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:Upper 5GHz channels on EAP-245
2020-08-31 17:30:36

Hello, new to this forum but found it when I was looking for DFS channels. I have a modem/router from my Dutch ISP which selected automatically channel 100. Funny thing is that I got that modem for free 2 years and it has a chipset that is quite rare. All neighbours have the same ISP but fight for channels like 1, 6, 11 on 2.4Ghz and also my EAP245 OOTB selected channel 44 like half the street on 5Ghz.

Tried to set it to channel 100, 104, 108, 112, 116 etc. but could not connect. Anyway, looks like the device should be rebooted prior connecting. I disabled the Wifi on the ISP modem because I did read elsewhere that the EAP245 refuses tro connect on a DFS channel when radar waves are detected. Made no difference but when I selected channel 64, highest below 100, it worked after a reboot. Maybe I missed something, but would like to use higher channels because it seems the signal is more powerfull, but usesless when devices cannot connect.

Works much better now my access point is not competing with my direct neighbour, reach 256Mbts on Intyernet (like abbo) and 800Mbts on my home network. Nice device and easy to configure.

Options
2020-08-31 19:36:47 - last edited 2020-08-31 20:47:21

Mike1970 wrote

Tried to set it to channel 100, 104, 108, 112, 116 etc. but could not connect.

If you can't associate with the WLAN on channel 100 and above, maybe your client device doesn't support those channels.

This frequency band is the only band which might be used by outdoor APs, so legacy indoor devices often restrict their radio to the indoor-only channels (channels 32 to 68 are allowed only indoors in the EU, channels 96 to 144 are allowed indoors and outdoors).

I disabled the Wifi on the ISP modem because I did read elsewhere that the EAP245 refuses tro connect on a DFS channel when radar waves are detected.

This is what Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) is all about: weather and military radars have priority over Radio LAN (RLAN) and that's why an AP needs to release and avoid further use of a channel for a defined time when a radar is being detected by the AP on this channel.

The AP then needs to switch to another channel, the client device wil follow.

According to ETSI / ECC regulations EN 301 893 / ECC/DEC/(04)08 following applies to the use of channels 96 to 144:

Channel access and occupation rules: WAS/RLANs operating in the bands 5470 - 5725 MHz shall use mitigation techniques that give at least the same protection as the detection, operational and response requirements described in EN 301 893 to ensure compatible operation with radiodetermination systems (radars). Such mitigation techniques shall equalise the probability of selecting a specific channel for all available channels so as to ensure, on average, a near-uniform spread of spectrum loading. The equipment shall implement an adequate spectrum sharing mechanism in order to facilitate sharing between the various technologies and applications. The adequate spectrum sharing mechanism can be e.g. LBT (Listen Before Talk), DAA (Detect And Avoid) or any other mechanism providing a similar level of mitigation.

Note that indoor channels 50 to 68 also require the use of DFS in the EU, even if those channels are allowed only for indoor use.

Maybe I missed something, but would like to use higher channels because it seems the signal is more powerfull, but usesless when devices cannot connect.

According to ETSI / ECC regulations EN 301 893 / ECC/DEC/(04)08 the following applies to the use of channels 96 to 144:

Transmit power / Power density: Max. 1 W e.i.r.p. Max. 50 mW/MHz e.i.r.p. density in any 1 MHz band. WAS/RLANs operating in the band 5470 - 5725 MHz shall either employ transmitter power control (TPC), which provides, on average, a mitigation factor of at least 3dB on the maximum permitted output power of the systems; or if transmitter power control is not in use, the maximum permitted e.i.r.p. and the corresponding e.i.r.p. density limits shall be reduced by 3dB.

Note that 80 MHz channel width in the 5 GHz band will acquire 16 channels at once (instead of only 4 at 20 MHz channel widh), this means that all or some of those channels will overlap with those used by other APs nearby. Therefore, throughput can vary significantly if nearby APs compete with your AP for AirTime (i.e. if they want to acquire those channels which your AP wants to use at the same time - one AP has to wait until the channel is released by the other).

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2020-09-07 17:37:46

@R1D2 Thank you very much for the explanations, but most I knew already. I live in a medium sized village, so I do not have 100 neighbours fighting for the same channels.

Just using the 5GHz band because all my devices support it. Only my Nokia phone does not support 802.11ac (just 'n'), but the rest is up to date. Tested a lot of combinations and conclude for the time being that DFS support does not work as expected in the EU. Think I did not wait long enough with my previous tests, can take quite long before the Wi-Fi signal appears in an Android App like Wifi Analizer or Wifi Monitor. Also good to restart apps before drawing conclusions. Still have the feeling that the access point might reject a selected channel when another nearby device is using it already, but I managed to use also the DFS channel 100 up to 112 this time. In de USA it is forbidden to use channel 120, 124 and 128 and guess that due to the overlap between channels (112+8=120) also channel 116 is blocked?

As mentioned before, my Nokia phone requires still the 'n' mode, so I tested if it makes a difference when the '802.11a/n/ac mixed' or '802.11ac only' setting is applied, but seems irrelevant, like time zone settings etc. Conclusion is that all DFS channels up to 112 function. Users can of course select a wrong time zone in the USA, so I can immagine that TP-Link simply disabled channels that are not permitted in particular countries. Would be better NOT to show them in the list. Some access points offer a great signal strenght when Hongkong is selected as country, but did not see a country setting. TZ is normally not enough to boost the signal and guess TP-Link did not add that type of easter eggs...

The Wi-Fi on the modem from my ISP uses now channel 64 and the EAP245 channel 112. At least 30 unused channels between my access points and every neighbour in a range of 135m, so I'm happy with the result.

Options
Related Articles