EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-21 08:47:43
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have set one of these up with Facebook wifi before - however this client had an on-site server so installed the EAP controller software on that and it runs perfectly.

I went on-site to another client to set up the same thing - but they have no servers or pcs which are always on for me to install the controller software - therefore i cannot get FB wifi to work.

the only way it would work was if i left my laptop (which i used to set up the AP) on with EAP controller software running LOL.

Can anyone help me?

I used to use Open Mesh APs and these were so easy to set up as they just connected straight to Cloudtrax.

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-21 10:09:46

Hello,

If you want to use Facebook portal, you have to use the Omada Controller to manage the EAP and the Controller needs to keep running all the time.

If you don't want to use the Omada Controller, you can use a OC200 to manage the EAP, which is similar with the Controller software. But you needn't to run the Controller on a PC. You can refer to the following website to know more about OC200.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/management-platform/oc200/

Options
Re:Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-21 11:39:28

forrest wrote

Hello,

If you want to use Facebook portal, you have to use the Omada Controller to manage the EAP and the Controller needs to keep running all the time.

If you don't want to use the Omada Controller, you can use a OC200 to manage the EAP, which is similar with the Controller software. But you needn't to run the Controller on a PC. You can refer to the following website to know more about OC200.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/management-platform/oc200/

ok - does the controller have to sit locally?

Are there any devices i can buy which do what Open Mesh did so i just need the device and thats it?

Options
Re:Re:Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-26 05:56:09

Hi,

The Omada Controller can manage the EAP in the same subnet or in different subnets.

Are there any devices i can buy which do what Open Mesh did so i just need the device and thats it?

Do you mean that you want to use the mesh function? 

Now the EAP225-Outdoor and EAP225v3 support mesh function, but this feature needs the Omada Controller or OC200 to work all the time.

Options
2019-06-26 14:15:09

Yes - i used to use Open Mesh access points which connected automatically to the Cloudtrax controller when you plugged them in so i could use FB wifi.

When i purchsed this TP-LINK i assumed this would work in the same way - clearly not....

I have a server and would be happy to run a controller on there for all my clients - but i cannot see how to add an AP remotely after i set up the controller on my own network. It only seems to pick up the access point if i am on the same network as the access point.

Options
Re:Re:Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-26 14:39:13
thanks mate - I managed to find someone who had an Open Mesh AP going so i bought that. They are also starting a new platform when Cloudtrax comes to end of life and an easy migration so just going to do that
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-26 14:43:13
i think its quite deceptive as on Amazon when i bought it , it was not obvious that a controller would be needed. Makes you think TP link have their own cloud controller. And when you are used to that with Open Mesh for years then thats what u expect
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:EAP225 - how to setup FB wifi without a software controller
2019-06-28 06:35:23

Hello, @Questionmark , the Facebook portal needs the Controller to keep running all the time.

Options
2020-10-03 15:54:33
Hello, in our case we did it by establishing EAP control on a dedicated server. The omada is installed on the server and the EAPs are configured on the local network where they are installed with another local omada controller. After being installed in the local omada controller we go to controller settings and in the migrate option we send the control to the public IP of the server and the local omada controller is no longer necessary
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3827

Replies: 8