Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-28 14:25:49
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.1.0

Hello

This seems to be a silly question but I could not find a solution.

I installed a new EAP245 and it is blocking WhatsApp voice and video calls.

I already tried to disable and also enable Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM in QoS) with its defaults values, but this did not change the issue,

I am sure that the cause of the blocking is the EAP because the calls can be made using a domestic Wi-Fi router. 

Can anyone help?
Thank you.

Options
28 Reply
Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-06-29 01:37:11

Hello,

Don't disable WMM function, which is useful for your device.

You say it prevents WhatsApp Calls, do you mean you cannot open the WhatsApp Calls? When the call cannot work normally, can the client access the internet?

For your issue, which band does the client device connect to? We recommend you to set two different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G, then check if the client has this problem when it connects to 2.4G and 5G band. 

By the way, you can use different channels to have a try. 

Options
Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-01 19:03:55 - last edited 2019-07-02 14:35:41

Hello, forrest

After you start a video call and the recipient accepts the incoming call, Whatsapp sends this error message and the call is closed (in other words, Whatsapp quits trying). Intenet works normally. Whatsapp text messages work normally.

The client was connected to the 2.4GB band. I will try with the 5GHz band. They have different SSIDs.

I will also try changing the channel.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-02 14:11:30 - last edited 2019-07-02 14:36:04

Hi, forrest

I unset the channel from "auto" to a fixed channel and the video calls sometimes can be stablished. I used Wifi Analyser to check a less used channel.I tested using the 2.4GHz carrier. Using the 5GHz carrier even the voice calls could not be stablished. Do you think there's a problem with this specific EAP245? I bought it last week.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-02 14:34:37 - last edited 2019-07-02 14:35:12

Hello, Questionmark

I am not using the guest network.

Once I could stablish a voice connection and the 2 peers were in this same Wi-Fi network.

Many times the connection fails even if one peer is outside the network. So I don't think the problem is related with client port isolation (which I could't find where to set).

Thanks for the ideas.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-03 07:04:38

lf.PUC wrote

Hi, forrest

I unset the channel from "auto" to a fixed channel and the video calls sometimes can be stablished. I used Wifi Analyser to check a less used channel.I tested using the 2.4GHz carrier. Using the 5GHz carrier even the voice calls could not be stablished. Do you think there's a problem with this specific EAP245? I bought it last week.

Thanks

Hello,

From your description, we think it may be related to the wireless environment so when you change the channel, it will be better.

Please choose a uncongested channel to decrease the interfere.

And do you enable Airtime Fairness, Band Steering, Load Balance? If yes, please close them to have a try.

By the way, we will release a new firmware in the next two days, you can download it from the website by then to have a try.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-03 12:57:03

Hello, forrest.

I was using Band Steering. I will have a try and wait for the new firmware.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-12 13:55:11

I'm sorry that unsetting Band Steering did not solve the problem. Sometimes the video calls work; most of the time don't.

I am still waiting for the firmware update. The only file available on the US TP-Link site is the same I have: 2.1.0 Build 20181107.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-15 09:34:54

Hello,

The latest firmware of EAP245v3 is released, you can download it from the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

Options
2019-07-17 14:31:49

Good news!

I dowloaded the new firmware and I'm waiting for a non-peak hour to install and test it.

Thanks

forrest wrote

Hello,

The latest firmware of EAP245v3 is released, you can download it from the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap245/#Firmware

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-17 17:58:39

Hello

Well, it didn't make any difference. Sometimes the voice Whatsapp call works, but most of the time, when the recipient of the call touches the phone to accept the call, the error message pops up.

Should I send the device to warranty maintenance service? The people there probably will say that there's nothing wrong.  Any other possibility?

Thanks

lf.PUC wrote

Good news!

I dowloaded the new firmware and I'm waiting for a non-peak hour to install and test it.

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 30247

Replies: 28