Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
28 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-17 18:25:07

The EAP245 is connected by wire to an Archer C5 as a router and DHCP server. Could this be the reason?

The voice and video calls using only the C5 and the Internet do work. Anyway I will test the connection without the C5.

I know it is not a good idea to mix home and business devices but our wi-fi network is growing. So we are upgrading to business devices.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-17 18:36:02

Hmmm... I used to capture packets in Solaris and Linux when wireshark was named tethereal, but I don't know exactly what to look for. And how would I mirror the cell phone interfaces? Is there a wireshark version for Android? I'll check. Thanks

Questionmark wrote

Are you familiar with taking packet captures?  I think it would be a good idea to compare the PCAP from a test that works to a test that doesn't work.  You should be able to see exactly where the process breaks down and pinpoint the issue.

Wireshark is your friend here!

Options
Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-17 22:27:51 - last edited 2019-07-17 22:35:15

When I read about the error message »Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls« the first time years ago, it was in the context of service providers blocking voice/video calls over WhatsApp. Did you check this already? Did WhatsApp voice/video calls work before installing the EAP/C5 combo with another WiFi router/AP and the same Internet service provider? Any other device between EAP and C5 blocking packets? Switch ACLs? Firewall? Guest Network Setting?

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-19 14:30:02

R1D2 wrote

When I read about the error message »Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls« the first time years ago, it was in the context of service providers blocking voice/video calls over WhatsApp. Did you check this already? Did WhatsApp voice/video calls work before installing the EAP/C5 combo with another WiFi router/AP and the same Internet service provider? Any other device between EAP and C5 blocking packets? Switch ACLs? Firewall? Guest Network Setting?

Hello

All the tests were done with no service providers involved, using Wi-Fi from my departmental network, with Android phones. The voice/video calls used to work when the access was provided by a Cisco RV-120W that stopped working. The RV120W was not behind the Archer C5 - they were connected to the same switch, which has no ACL restrictions. The calls work if the phones are using only the C5 to access the Internet.

The EAP is not configured with port isolation (that's what I think, because I didn't find this settings on the menu - I'm using the local EAP245 http configurator only), and I also tested with only one cell phone using the EAP245. I am not using the Guest Network.

Any other possibility?
Thanks

Options
Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-07-20 10:53:30 - last edited 2019-07-20 10:55:49

lf.PUC wrote:

Any other possibility?

As far as I know the error message is caused by a test from WhatsApp if they think that something is blocking calls (even for purely local calls WhatsApp needs an Internet connection). Something triggers this error message. Try Questionmark's suggestion and connect the EAP without the C5 for a quick test.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-08-09 15:17:08

Hi all

Sorry for the delay but part of my staff is on vacation.

Yes, WhatsApp video and voice calls work if the EAP245 is not behind the Archer C5. Do you know what parameter must be changed, if it is the case?

There is no bandwidth control set on the C5.

Thanks

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-08-21 19:55:31

No good news: the EAP245 is no longer connected to the C5's LAN, but today we made 5 tests and in all the cases the WhatsApp voice calls failed. So, it is not (only) due to the C5. Or it is a transient network state or this EAP245 is not good. Should I send it to TP-Link? I don´t know if they will be able to reproduce this issue.

Thanks...

Options
Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-08-22 21:48:32

Take the 245 out of the question, enable the SSID on your C5 and try it directly on that, does that work?

Is your 245 using internal or external DNS, is it using the archer as it's gateway?

Is the Archer your main router and if so why use a consumer piece of kit in a business - it doesnt have the same troubleshooting capabilities as a business class router would.

Do voice/viodeo calls work on a data conenction 3G/4G?

Are the mobile devices managed by your network, do they have policies that might prevent them, do they have proxy servers or VPN configured?

In all honesty i can't see how an AP can have this type of affect, unless it's something to do with how you've configured the Wi-Fi, like the DNS or Gateway address being used.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re: Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-08-26 14:14:39

Yes, sometimes the voice calls work, sometimes they don't. 

I will try to install a network capture software in the DHCP Windows server that is connected to the EAP245, although I don't know what to look for.

Thanks...

Options
Re:Re:Your Phone is Connected to a Wi-Fi Network That Prevents WhatsApp Calls
2019-08-26 14:32:40

Rod-IT wrote

Take the 245 out of the question, enable the SSID on your C5 and try it directly on that, does that work?

Is your 245 using internal or external DNS, is it using the archer as it's gateway?

Is the Archer your main router and if so why use a consumer piece of kit in a business - it doesnt have the same troubleshooting capabilities as a business class router would.

Do voice/viodeo calls work on a data conenction 3G/4G?

Are the mobile devices managed by your network, do they have policies that might prevent them, do they have proxy servers or VPN configured?

In all honesty i can't see how an AP can have this type of affect, unless it's something to do with how you've configured the Wi-Fi, like the DNS or Gateway address being used.

Hi, Rod

Whatsapp voice calls usually work  if using the Archer C5. The SSID was already enabled and has been working for a couple of years. I only added the WAN port on the 245 to one of its Ethernet wired ports. Now the 245 WAN port is connected to our wired network.

Both the EAS245 and the Archer are using our DNS Windows and Linux servers. I tried using the Archer as gateway but now it is not. The gateway now is a Cisco Catalyst - the same for the wired network.

Voice/viodeo calls work on a data conenction 3G/4G.

We don't have a proxy nor policy to manage the Wi-Fi networks. Up until now, all our Wi-Fi connections were using home routers because our network is wired.

Thanks

Options